SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailors rescued 900 miles off shore.. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96248-sailors-rescued-900-miles-off-shore.html)

aa3jy 01-31-2013 01:28 PM

Sailors rescued 900 miles off shore..

The Tiberon is a Cabo Rico with a mizzen mast which appears to be missing in the article.

Sailors Rescued 900 Miles Offshore | Cruising Compass

Clay AA3JY
s/v 'Tango'
Cabo Rico 34

Razcar 01-31-2013 03:26 PM

Re: Sailors rescued 900 miles off shore..

"The first Coast Guard District command center quickly found a Polish translator and arranged a conference call with the contact to gather information that would help identify the vessel and assess the safety equipment available to the men aboard."

I love the coasties. This is a remarkable story due mainly to it's uneventfulness. This would have made Steve Callahan's ordeal a non-event had this technology and international cooperation been in place in his time.

aa3jy 01-31-2013 04:14 PM

More info...

Sail-World.com : Another very modern rescue in the Atlantic

jackdale 01-31-2013 04:17 PM

AMVER is a fabulous service - I know; been there, done that.

rockDAWG 01-31-2013 06:09 PM

I love Happy Ending. :)

Razcar 01-31-2013 06:16 PM

And a free trip to Norway in winter to boot-

Lou452 02-01-2013 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=aa3jy;983784]The Tiberon is a Cabo Rico with a mizzen mast which appears to be missing in the article.
/sailors-rescued-900-miles-offshore/]Sailors Rescued 900 Miles Offshore

Nice out come. The are alive. Sad the boat is lost but as always you can get boats but you one get one life. If you can find out more like how they came to be in need of rescue. What broke ? the could have, would have, should have, kind of things. Not to pass a judgement but to learn. Thanks for the post, Lou

JonEisberg 02-01-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 983894)
I love Happy Ending. :)

Great that there was no loss of life, of course... But I'd hardly call setting such a beautiful boat adrift at sea, still floating on her lines, and with the main mast still in the boat, an entirely "happy ending"...

Sure would be interesting to know more details on this one...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou452 (Post 984146)
If you can find out more like how they came to be in need of rescue. What broke ? the could have, would have, should have, kind of things. Not to pass a judgement but to learn. Thanks for the post, Lou

Just a hunch, but I'd guess being in the North Atlantic, roughly midway between Europe and the US, near the end of freakin' JANUARY, just might have been a factor in yet "another very modern rescue"...

Time to cue the Polish jokes, perhaps? (grin)

mad_machine 02-01-2013 10:11 AM

WNA is no place to be in a small boat. I do agree that I am glad there was no loss of life. The Coast Guard make it all look so easy

Lou452 02-01-2013 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=JonEisberg;984166]Great that there was no loss of life, of course... But I'd hardly call setting such a beautiful boat adrift at sea, still floating on her lines, and with the main mast still in the boat, an entirely "happy ending"...
Sure would be interesting to know more details on this one...
Just a hunch, but I'd guess being in the North Atlantic, roughly midway between Europe and the US, near the end of freakin' JANUARY, just might have been a factor in yet "another very modern rescue"...

Now it would be interesting to know why one would want to sail in the North Atlantic at the end of Jan. ? What skill level and boat condition selection could have, should have been. The Southern Ocean was done in a 21 foot open boat. The factors leading to that sail and this one both have history. We learn and build better mouse traps. This would be better than the HMS Bounty. It is closer to our own. We will likley never know. Good Day, Lou