Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Re: Life Span of a Boat

Rough guestimate:

that being something like 12m boat for about 50 square metres of fibreglass, at say 8mm thickness that would be roughly 100 gallons of rasin and 50 square metres of glass per layer. probably you get a better price when buying those amounts than when you buy 1/4th gallon

(so those 25k should be more than plenty enough actually)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Paulo,
Just curious would you know what a very rough material cost only (no labor) would be to build a hull for a boat using the molds you have pictured?
Regards
No, but I know that it depends on the technique. If vacuum infusion and epoxy resins are used you use a lot less material and that's why the boats made that way are lighter.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-06-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I think the hardest part of laying your own hull up would be knowing where to lay it on extra thick and which areas get more glass.

The good news is.. for more money, you could always go CF. even if you don't vacuum bag it, it would still be stronger than FG

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I think the hardest part of laying your own hull up would be knowing where to lay it on extra thick and which areas get more glass.

The good news is.. for more money, you could always go CF. even if you don't vacuum bag it, it would still be stronger than FG
I was thinking it might be easier to find a company that can sell only a bare hull/deck kit and finish it out. I haven't found many places that do hull's only.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 02-06-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

if you are going to do that.. why not just buy a really shabby boat that still has a decent hull/deck and strip and redo it how you want?
SloopJonB likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
if you are going to do that.. why not just buy a really shabby boat that still has a decent hull/deck and strip and redo it how you want?
Exactly - when I bought my complete & floating Columbia 43 (that "demonstrated a high degree of deferred maintenance") a VERY similar bare hull moulding (no deck) from a local manufacturer would have cost 4X as much. Also, that was 10 years ago, before the big drop in used boat prices.

Building from a bare hull is virtually certain to be the most expensive way you can acquire a boat and it will take a BIG chunk out of your life, frequently including your wife and family.

Nowadays it makes no sense - buy something close with good bones and customize it.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

look at what Lackey did with an old Pearson Triton hull

The Daysailor | Building a Classic Daysailor
steve77 and casey1999 like this.

Old 02-07-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
look at what Lackey did with an old Pearson Triton hull

The Daysailor | Building a Classic Daysailor
I like looking at his main site at the project logs. I found his site from looking at certain models of boats and he just happened to restore one. Very good photo log of his work.
steve77, casey1999 and SloopJonB like this.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 02-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

he took away my fear of rotted decks. I can do glassfibre work.. I had no idea how easy it was to cut off the upper layer, chipout/cleanout the old balsa, and replace

Old 02-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
he took away my fear of rotted decks. I can do glassfibre work.. I had no idea how easy it was to cut off the upper layer, chipout/cleanout the old balsa, and replace
It's simple, not easy. I spent last summer doing patch repairs of the deck on my old 43'. Not much more complicated than making peanut butter sandwiches but I sweated off 30 unmissed Lbs doing it. As long as you are prepared to tackle a fairly big job there is nothing to fear about it.

I found stripping the bottom to the gelcoat, fairing and epoxy coating it to be as big a job and far harder due to having to work overhand.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.