Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Life Span of a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
Yep 44 years rolling around here to

I do think that fibreglass will eventually decompose, but it is a very, very, very long process
Reefmag,
Where are you located? You must get extreme tides by the looks of those floating dock pilings?
Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
It is just one of those times when the heart is more powerful than the brain.. and if the heart had it's way.. no boat would be allowed to decay
And if the brain had its way, none of us would own boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
One thing holding boats back from the kind of appreciation you see cars getting at Pebble Beach. The cars that are fetching gross sums of money are all restored to how they rolled out of the factory all those years ago. Boats tend to go through refits on a fairly regular basis.
Also, with a car you can moth ball and store in your garage for relatively low cost where as a boat it will cost you say 5-10% of purchase price per year to own even if you never sail (dock fees, insurance, dock lines, fenders, cleaning, waxing, bottom clean and paint). And there are a lot more car drivers than sailors in the world- bigger demand drives up price of historic cars.
Old 02-04-2013

Question:

Say you really like you boat, and all the gear and rig are in good shape, but the fiberglass hull is shot. Would it be legal to use your old boat as a mold to make a new fiberglass hull, or would this be considered theft from the original hull designer?
Old 02-04-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Question:

Say you really like you boat, and all the gear and rig are in good shape, but the fiberglass hull is shot. Would it be legal to use your old boat as a mold to make a new fiberglass hull, or would this be considered theft from the original hull designer?
If you're just doing it for yourself, not commercial production, I think it would qualify as a repair - the way old wood boats are "repaired" by replacing all the wood in them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-04-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

it would only be theft if you attempted to sell more copies of the hull.

It gets vague if you decide to sell just stern pieces, or the Bow for repairs to boats that too significant damage to those areas

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 02-04-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

My steel 31 footer will be 29 years old in April, and is as good as the day I built her, with the original paint job. The trick was to get a lot of paint on her the first time, 25 gallons of epoxy tar , inside and out, plus regular paintings with marine enamel. I used hot galvanized plate for her decks, cabin and cockpit. Most steel boats have problems rusting out from the inside, because they don't bother to put any paint on the inside before foaming. I have seen far to many good boats lost that way, before their time. Foam is no protection for the inside of a steel boat. As long as I clean up and touch up any paint chips, the life of my boat is indefinite, certainly good for my lifetime.

Older fibreglass boats relied on far more shape for stiffness, which results in far less flexing than the flat surfaces of modern boats. Flat surfaces need a lot more support than compound curves, something most design rules take zero consideration of, making them far less connected to reality. A compound curve results in a fraction the flexing of a flat surface, something modern designers seem to lack any understanding of , possibly because it takes a bit of instinct, and ability to see things in three dimensions, rather than the two dimensions their calculations are based on, and is not easily converted in to numbers. They tend to regard all hull surfaces as flat surfaces, making them largely irrelevant, when applied to more complex shapes.

Another problem people have when calculating the cost of upgrading an older boats is the assumption that they absolutely "must have" all the modern toys that older boats lived quite well without, and all must be brand new.I sailed for 17 years and several Pacific crossings before I put my first electrical system on my boat. By the time I launched my current 31 footer in 1984, I had $4,000 in her, a bare shell. Another $2000 and she was sailing, and I was living aboard her. I've never had refrigeration and don' miss it. Wouldn't buy it if I won the lottery . Bought my first VHF in Mexico in 89, my first radar in 94, my first battery in 88, etc , after years of full time cruising without them. My interior evolved over time , spent cruising, and sleeping in as long as I pleased, as I gradually found the materials for free.
Do I regret not having gone deeply into debt to buy all the goodies new, before getting some enjoyment out of my boat? Not a chance! Do I regret not having spent all that cruising time going to work to pay for it all? Not a chance!

With the huge glut of boats on the market, the days of resale value in boats is over. The value in boats is the use you get out of them, plus the huge amount of money you can save living and traveling aboard, over spending the same amount of time living ashore, and traveling by far more expensive means .
Having a boat to live and travel aboard has enabled me to live on a month's work, average, per year ,since my mid 20's, and do many Pacific crossings, as well as cruise the BC coast 11 months a year. My boat owes me nothing. Not owning a boat would have cost me far more, many, many times more.
steve77 and mad_machine like this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 02-04-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
... Flat surfaces need a lot more support than compound curves, something most design rules take zero consideration of, making them far less connected to reality. A compound curve results in a fraction the flexing of a flat surface, something modern designers seem to lack any understanding of , possibly because it takes a bit of instinct, and ability to see things in three dimensions, rather than the two dimensions their calculations are based on, and is not easily converted in to numbers. They tend to regard all hull surfaces as flat surfaces, making them largely irrelevant, when applied to more complex shapes.

Brent, today NA work mostly if not only in 3D using computer programs have a look at a basic one that has nothing to do with the ones that big NA cabinets use. Those cost more than a boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-04-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2013

Arjen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Question:

you're not being serious as in considering to do something like that are you ?
Old 02-04-2013
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

SmallBoatLover: It's an Albin Vega. Swedish built. The only ones over here have come over on their own hulls. The only other one I know of I last seen in news footage last week floating down a flooded river whilst still attached to it's finger pontoon along with another 3 or 4 boats!

Quote:
Reefmag,
Where are you located? You must get extreme tides by the looks of those floating dock pilings?
Regards
Mackay, Qld, Aus. We get about 6m / 20ft on the biggest springs but the piles need to be higher as well to allow for storm surge in the event of a cyclone. Down south a little ways - maybe 100 nm - the maximum tides are 10m, which are the highest on the east coast of Australia. The Whitsunday islands are about 50nm north of here and the max tides are about 4m.