Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road
Re: Scary and Stunning

Quote:
Look at these fascinating pictures of a huge dust storm taken in north-western Australia.
I saw that on weather.com the other week and almost posted it. Hate to have to clean my boat after going through something like that, I'd imagine it would have to geteverywhere!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Perth?? Nice!...

I doubt you'd get anything like this in Perth itself - you'd need to be several hundred miles further north - but you might warn him that the sharks in Perth just love the taste of Americans.
My apologies for a thoughtless and unkind remark about Perth. Never been there and am sure it will be fascinating? when I visit her. I will remember to look out for sharks. Americans, at least some, are quite tasty.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 02-01-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
The most impressive (and nasty!) weather phenomenon to happen out back are "fire devils". Imagine a tornado of fire from the ground to the sky...
Lord Thunderin' Jesus!

You've got the world's deadliest spiders, snakes, plants, fish, jellyfish and now: pillars of fire!?!

Even your weather is trying to kill you!

What did you Aussie's do to piss God off?
downeast450 likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 02-01-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Lord Thunderin' Jesus!

You've got the world's deadliest spiders, snakes, plants, fish, jellyfish and now: pillars of fire!?!

They're the descendants of criminals!
Old 02-01-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
My apologies for a thoughtless and unkind remark about Perth. Never been there and am sure it will be fascinating? when I visit her. I will remember to look out for sharks. Americans, at least some, are quite tasty.

Down
Most of us are well fed and tender.. that's why the sharks like us..

Fire tornados are nothing new.. any fire can spawn one in the right circumstances.. but they are VERY scarey. I remember reading about Tokyo in the aftermath of the great Kanto Earthquake when the entire city was burning. People found sanctuary in an open square where nothing could burn.. until the heat spawned "fire devels" that began swirling around in the square.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 02-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Down
Western Australia is a fascinating place... I always wanted to visit Perth, since first learning of it as a young boy, when they famously lit up the city for John Glenn during his first orbital space flight. The best way to get there, of course, is the 3 1/2 day trip across Oz on the Indian Pacific, one of the great railway journeys of the world, trip of a lifetime...

Not many cities of almost 2 million people, that when you reach the outskirts of the metropolitan area, you start seeing roadsigns advising "Next Gas - 110 KM"...

There's some amazing stuff to see in WA...

One bit of advice, however... Definitely take the Collision Damage Coverage on your rental car, or better yet go for one equipped with Roo Bars... (grin)

Classic30 and downeast450 like this.
Old 02-01-2013
Tundra Down

Jon,

Nice pics. Thanks. I have been checking out that part of Australia on the web anticipating a trip. Will get the insurance. With friends and family to visit from Hawaii to Singapore, a trip to the other side of the world will likely take me west from Maine . The train trip looks amazing and it might just happen. Great suggestion!

When you come to visit us in Maine watch out for one of our 80,000 moose. That encounter can kill you if one walks in front of your car. They don't bounce off! The deer do. Ha!

Wishing I was 36 not 66. Would love to spend a couple of years in Australia. So much to do and so little time.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 02-01-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-03-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Lord Thunderin' Jesus!

Why, nothing at all... This is God's own country this is!!

God gave us all them nasties to stop those darn tourists wanting to live here.
flyingwelshman likes this.
Old 02-03-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
When you come to visit us in Maine watch out for one of our 80,000 moose. That encounter can kill you if one walks in front of your car. They don't bounce off! The deer do. Ha!
Yes, there are a lot of 'roos out Perth way and many do seem to have a fatal attraction for car headlights, but, speaking from personal experience, you do not ever want to hit an Emu..

Think 1/2-ton wrecking ball covered in a gazillion instantly-deployable feathers positioned about average windscreen height on spindly legs. Even if you live though the experience, you won't ever want to get back in that car again!

Then there's the Wombats (a.k.a mobile speed bumps). Hit one of Fuzzy's relatives at 60mph and you'll rip the transmission right out of the car...

Quote:
Wishing I was 36 not 66. Would love to spend a couple of years in Australia. So much to do and so little time.
Funny... some of us say that about America.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-03-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2013
Tundra Down

Two marine patrol wardens were motoring in their 16' ob down the river near Bath, ME at about 15 k when a sturgeon that was estimated at between 5 and 6 feet weighing 300+ pounds leaped across their path. It took of the windshield of the boat, knocked both wardens into the back of the boat and put them in the hospital. The fish completed its arc and returned to the water on the other side of the boat! I have seen these huge armor plated prehistoric beasts in mid air up fairly close as we have our catboat on the coast near there. It would ruin your day to have something like that join you in the cockpit! 1000 pound moose to run into in the car and 300 pound fish that can sink a small boat. Fun! Maine is really a very safe place to live. We have no poisonous snakes! Ha! A flock of wild turkeys could shed a few feathers but they are too smart to get hit.

You guys have the most nasties without doubt.