Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Scary and Stunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
You guys have the most nasties without doubt.
Yep. ..and we like it that way.
Old 02-03-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Yep. ..and we like it that way.
So do we!: Keep a sharp eye out!

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
So do we!: Keep a sharp eye out!

Down

"Moose are not usually aggressive towards humans, but can be provoked or frightened to behave with aggression. In terms of raw numbers, they attack more people than bears and wolves combined, but usually with only minor consequences. On the American continents, moose injure more people than any other wild mammal and, worldwide, only hippopotamuses injure more"

Personally I have no desire to see a moose up close. Huge, ill-tempered beasties. Kind of strange about the hippos injuring that many people though.
Old 02-03-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Personally I have no desire to see a moose up close. Huge, ill-tempered beasties. Kind of strange about the hippos injuring that many people though.
Not really.. they're very big, very protective of their young and can move surprisingly (too surprisingly for their victims!) quickly. ..and there are a lot of people in Africa.

Fortunately the only moose and hippos we have here are in zoos and wildlife parks. ..must be safe then.

We do get the occasional redback under the toilet seat though... gotta watch out for those littrle critters. Nasty indeed!
Old 02-03-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Not really.. they're very big, very protective of their young and can move surprisingly (too surprisingly for their victims!) quickly. ..and there are a lot of people in Africa.

Fortunately the only moose and hippos we have here are in zoos and wildlife parks. ..must be safe then.

We do get the occasional redback under the toilet seat though... gotta watch out for those littrle critters. Nasty indeed!
Um, I don't know what that is and I don't want to know. I don't want anything living under my toilet seat. I don't even want to know that there are things that live under toilet seats. In fact, the only thing I really want under my toilet seat is the rest of the toilet.
Classic30 likes this.
Old 02-03-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I think the most dangerous things here are visitors from south of the border. The cougars and bears are pretty tame by comparison.
Both my brothers live in Australia (one in Sydney, one just moved down Melbourne way), what with their 40C+ temperatures, raging wildfires and countless deadly creatures just waiting to nip your toe and kill in 30 seconds, I'm rather glad I moved here instead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose"]

We come across several moose every year. Spending a lot of time camping by canoe and hiking, some years we may encounter 20 or more. I have been chased on foot and have had them just look at me and walk off. In a canoe they just stare. Being a silent approach, sometimes in a canoe they are within feet. Paddling down a fast stream, coming around a bend and being in the same spot as a couple of feeding moose is startling to both. Had a large bull stick its nose into our lean-to on the AT. You can tell when they are near because of the moose flies. They follow the beasts like a cloud from hell. I am surprised to hear they are a real threat beyond being a traffic hazard. They are tasty!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 02-04-2013 at 07:00 AM.