Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Power Outlet Sizzle - Help Please

guitarguy56 and Philzy3985 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Thanks for the photo... that's the correct way to wire it up!

now I split my 30 amp coming in to 2-20 amp supplies lines... one goes to a heavy duty surge protector with trip for my heater... it's dedicated to that only... when warm weather comes around the heater will be put away and the surge protector will be put for another use... the other 20 amp line is for general use like the battery charger, lights, etc... this too is on a 20 amp surge protector w/trip... all wired separately from battery power... the 2000 watt inverter for the induction oven is wired to the house battery but can unplug to to use shore power from the 20 amp protector or directly from the Honda genny w/the inverter... it all works and I've felt around for hot spots on the wires... nothing to report to date!
Old 02-02-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Regarding the size of a GFCI;

GFCI outlets are made to be daisy chained with non-GFCI outlets. When this is done the GFCI will protect all of the outlets that are further down the chain.

Applying this to the OP situation; if there are multiple outlets on the 15A breaker on the electrical panel (there is a breaker - yes?) you could install a GFCI at the first outlet, and all of the downstream outlets would be GFCI protected.
BubbleheadMd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 02-02-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I just have to add that you dodged a bullet here. The pictures in the OP scare me

Also, a GFCI outlet WILL NOT PROTECT YOU from an over current situation. The circuit breaker, and not the GFCI, protects the circuit.
BubbleheadMd likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 02-03-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

eherliy is correct. A lot of folks think "GFCI" means protection from any kind of fault, and that isn't true. It protects from ground faults, like when you splash water on the outlet, shorting from ground to one of the other prongs.

When I wired my boat, I just didn't want to have to mentally calculate if I was drawing too much current on a string of outlets. I wanted the full 15 amp capability (Ok, 80% of that) on each outlet, so I installed a single outlet on each 15 amp breaker. Each outlet is GFCI, because it's all alone on it's own breaker.

I used Blue Sea Systems 8027 panel, which is "mains" plus 6 branch circuits.

I'm running 3 outlets, and an onboard battery charger, so I still have two empty slots available for expansion later.

Of course, I still need to mentally calculate my loads when I'm at the dock. Since I only have 30 amp service, if I'm running a heater, I need to think about what I'm running before I fire off the microwave oven or the battery charger, or using a laptop.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-03-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
eherliy is correct. A lot of folks think "GFCI" means protection from any kind of fault, and that isn't true. It protects from ground faults, like when you splash water on the outlet, shorting from ground to one of the other prongs.
I wondered when someone would point that out. This was not a GFI failure. Not sayin' GFI isn't smart on a boat.

The scary part of this is that the OP didn't know the cause at a glance; plugging far too much load into one plug, the excuse being that it was most convenient. Fire marshals and vendors have been diligently and repeatedly informing homeowners about overloading plugs and incorrect use of extension cords since before I was born--and that is a long time--and many people still believe they can go through life without learning how things work, without consequence. Electricians and codes labor to make equipment idiot proof, but that is difficult. The breaker could have fused closed--it happens. Scary.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 02-03-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

also.. just because a cord is warm to the touch does not mean you are overloading it. It is just the nature of the power flowing through it

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 02-03-2013
Wanderer

Wandersome is on a distinguished road

Ok and keep cords away from birds.... They (the birds) will eat the currents.... Warm is subjective. Do not coil a cord with power flowing. A coil and a wire can make a transformer. Coiled extension cords if they cross, can cause an over heating due to magnetic flux. Usually not a problem but when near loaded, it can cause a melt down. Earlier someone said something about PVC cover on conductor.... Low melting point. Stay away from PVC. A conductor can pass more current than its rated for but it heats due to resistance in the conductor. Overheating can melt the insulation. Just a few notes.... But really.... It's the birds you have to watch out for.... They love currents.... They are always up on the power lines..... Why? For the currents....
Old 02-03-2013

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough

Had electrical problems... Ended up having to replace both of my shore power cables...The old ones were about 30 years old... Had replaced the plug on one of them but still had problems...
The good news: The new shore power cables worked like a charm and my power bill drop dramically.

Minor detail: Have you priced the cost of new cables? The power bill was over a hundred per month but this last billing was only $40.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 02-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2013
Wanderer

Wandersome is on a distinguished road

Yep, I'm actually dealing with that here. Ok not connectors on a boat, but power line. A poor connector consumes power. An undersized conductor also consumes power. Both, create heat. If you replaced the cord, take a good look at the female connector on your boat as well. Corrosion and oxidization are resistive. A resistor is the best/perfect consumer of electricity. Good luck. .... Ok another post towards getting new permissions like pm'ing...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.