Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013

blakeyoung is on a distinguished road
double line vertical fairlead

Long story short, I am trying to run four lines aft to the cockpit, but I have a very narrow space in which to do it. I only have enough width to run two lines maximum side-by-side. What I am looking for is, for lack of a better description, a double-line vertically-oriented fairlead. Essentially like the Colligo fairlead CN33BLK2 (just Google it, I apparently don't have enough posts to post links or images).

I would have two of these double vertical fairleads next to each other to lead the 4 lines aft.

Does such a thing exist?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: double line vertical fairlead

You can 'stack' turning blocks too if necessary.. where are you running these lines and what are they going to be for? Separating stacked runs into cleats and stoppers is always a bit tricky...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-01-2013

Thanks for replying so soon. I didn't think of stacked blocks, but that could work. The four lines will be my mail and jib halyards and main and jib downhauls (I sail primarily singlehanded for now... just getting into the sport). All four lines will be fed into a quadruple clutch. The problem is that my handrail forms the outer "barrier" and my pop-top forms the inner barrier. I COULD mount some hardware on the pop-top, but this is a last resort. I would much prefer all my hardware mounted to the boat proper for strength and so I can raise and lower my pop-top without worrying about lines cleated to it.

I've attached a picture showing the area of interest. The credit card was only for a size gauge. The current double clutch is holding my two halyards, which as you can see is the maximum width I can run aft.
Attached Thumbnails
double line vertical fairlead-img_0853_b.jpg  
Old 02-01-2013

The stacked blocks or fairleads or whatever I wind up using would be mounted near the "Amazon" logo, right when it clears the handrail. Then the lines would fan out from there into the clutch.
Old 02-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Is there a reason why you can't duplicate that double line arrangement on the stbd side? That would be the cleanest, I'd think.. But a set of stacked blocks there might do it for you, though even then it's still quite tight.

As a practical matter, a jib downhaul may be better run along the deck edge to the cockpit, similar to how most furling lines are run. The 'jump' from foredeck to cabintop is always going to be a bit awkward.. requiring multiple fairleads (drag) or becoming something of a tripping hazard forward. Leading it around the stanchion bases would keep the deck clear and ease the load up top.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-01-2013

I had certainly thought about running them down the starboard side, but I actually plan on running another series of lines for other purposes down that side (vang, topping lift, reefing line, etc).

That's a good point about the deck to cabintop problem. I was wondering how to best solve that. It would solve that problem, but it seems I would still need three lines over the top of the cabin on the port side and would therefore still need the stacked block setup.

I swear, if I could just have 2 inches more horizontal space. Sigh.
Old 02-01-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I am curious...why do you need downhauls on your main and jib?
Hull#101
Old 02-01-2013

Well, I pretty much sail singlehanded and am new to sailing, and the other day I got caught off guard in quite a bit of wind. Not enough to rattle a seasoned sailor, but it was hairy enough for me. Even with the sails out the boat kept heeling and I felt like I was getting beat to hell. My only thought was getting my sails completely down and motoring back if I had to, but I couldn't leave the tiller to go drop the sails. I was searching around and found a few articles that suggested that an easy access downhaul from the cockpit would be helpful in these situations.
Old 02-01-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I wonder if you are approaching the problem from the wrong angle. It seems to me that once you have a bit more experience under your belt you might find such a setup to be unnecessary, and then you would have drilled your deck and installed hardware for nothing. Perhaps you should consider a temporary way to rig a downhaul until you know it is something useful. Running the jib downhaul along your lifeline stancheons using clamp on blocks as Faster suggests might be a good idea. As a bonus, if you install a roller furler in future, it is the perfect route for a furling line. (Roller furling is the best solution to short handed headsail handling anyway!)

I would say it is more important to rig up a way to secure your tiller so that you CAN leave the helm to deal with issues as they come up. Even if you can pull your sail down from the comfort of your cockpit, there is a good chance the sail will not stay on your deck, and you will have to go forward to secure it anyway. It is very important as a single hand sailor that you become comfortable with safely moving around on your boat. Jacklines and a harness might be a better project than a jib downhaul.

Just a thought...
Hull#101
Old 02-01-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

With that many lines; all you will have is a cluster f--k ,& you will not be able to save yourself! Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself...Sail it for a summer then decide.......Dale
Where God got it done!