Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Chesapeake Bay, Western Shore Marinas

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've contacted dozens of marinas and plan to spend all day Sunday checking them out. Hopefully my boat will have a home come Monday. As of right now I have a dozen on my list ranging from Pasadena to Rose Haven.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We're at Port Annapolis, average depth of our slip is 10'. Really like the facility and the ambiance of a well-run working yard. Admittedly, there are many places that are less expensive, but when you're living aboard full time, paying extra for location is a different calculation than if you're storing a boat you visit on weekends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 02-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
We're at Port Annapolis, average depth of our slip is 10'. Really like the facility and the ambiance of a well-run working yard. Admittedly, there are many places that are less expensive, but when you're living aboard full time, paying extra for location is a different calculation than if you're storing a boat you visit on weekends.
Wow I was kind of suprised to see you post the way it was worded. We are friends so I dont want to offend. But I have to ask- Is that what you as a liveaboard thinks of us other boaters, that we are "storing" our boats? Almost sounds like we are less than or not as serious as a liveaboard. Thats kind of a sterotype, and one which I dont think is accurate. I also dont think its accurate to say that our priorities are necessarily different than yours living because we dont live aboard. They may be different because as individual people we have different priorites where we live and play. Price driven certainly is not the only one even for us who " store " our boats. maybe i am reading what you mean wrong here. I never thought there were inherent difference in why a liveaboard vs a weekend boater would chose a marina with virtually the same amenities other than "vibe" and price.

For Donna and I, and I am sure others there are many factors, the largest factor being the type of marina and the "vibe" of it. We certainly can afford marinas in Annappolis, but really perfer a quiet laid back smaller place was what we were looking for. We preferred being in a small cove in nature surrounded by treees, vs a mega marina 1000 masts and hustle and bustle of a city. We didnt want to hear sirens or construction. We bought our house similarly near a big city, but abutting farmland where there was peace and quiet.

In Annapolis you pay for the expensive inflated real estate which the marina costs and if you like living in a city environment it is one of the nicest cities to live in. Its location as you put it does not present an advantage to us. We visit there to see you guys, anchor in the spring and fall when it is less crowded and of course visit the best Boat show on the East Coast in October. If I ever was going to keep my boat in Annapolis, your mainia is without a doubt the best and I recomend it to anyone who must have that Annapolis address or zip code and likes that style of living. There certainly is a lot to do. Great nightlife, restaurants suck though for such an important city.

We also have liveaboards where our boat is kept and they like the quiet atmosphere as there reason for staying there. We have working marinas on our creek for repairs and the labor prices are sometimes $40 less/ hr over the inflated Annapolis prices.

I will start another thread with a survey to see what are the reasons people choose a marina/ club

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-07-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Oh come on Dave, you really gonna go there? A good friend of ours kept his boat at Port Annapolis as a liveaboard and loved it, they have a great liveaboard community with a great sailing city to boot!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-07-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Eryka,

Have you meet the Rizzo Family? Chris, Eileen, and Jamie?
They are great people. We are friends from when they lived in Michigan and we were marina neighbors back than. We have been very close ever since. They have a Hunter of just over 30' and tied on the bulkhead close to the pool.

I got to spend a couple of days at Port Annapolis back in November. It was a bit quiet than, but I can just imagine it to be a popular place in the height of the season.

Hope to meet you next time I am there.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Oh come on Dave, you really gonna go there? A good friend of ours kept his boat at Port Annapolis as a liveaboard and loved it, they have a great liveaboard community with a great sailing city to boot!
I think I mentioned that didnt I. Of course she is a good friend of mine and my wifes and I have huge respect for her and Dan. We have shared many conversations and laughs. They helped us immediately and even drove us home after our boat was hit by lightning last year. She is one of the best posters on SN and I hope they chose her someday as a mod because of her wisdom and sense of fairness.

I just dont agree with what she said and I tried to do it in a respectful manner. If I wasnt respectful I apoligize. She is very sensitive to liveaboards and sterotypes which have been attributed in past postings and has been a champion of their lifestyle and I have HUGE respect for her educating many including myself.

I started a seperate thread to further look at the reasons why people chose the marinas/ clubs they do with a poll.

I am not sure what to say. Should I not post when I disagree if it is a friend of mine? You certainly had no problem with doing it when I wrote something you disagreed with and we are friends. Dont make more out of it than it is...I disagreed with what she said

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-07-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Eryka,

Have you meet the Rizzo Family? Chris, Eileen, and Jamie?
They are great people. We are friends from when they lived in Michigan and we were marina neighbors back than. We have been very close ever since. They have a Hunter of just over 30' and tied on the bulkhead close to the pool.

I got to spend a couple of days at Port Annapolis back in November. It was a bit quiet than, but I can just imagine it to be a popular place in the height of the season.

Hope to meet you next time I am there.
Tim,

Of couse she know the Rizzos. They are an active part of the Chesapeake group.
sailortjk1 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-07-2013

Me make more of it than it is, youre the one that wrote 4+ paragraphs in response to the word "storing"?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Me make more of it than it is, youre the one that wrote 4+ paragraphs in response to the word "storing"?
So I am long winded. Thats old news. Everyone knows that about me.

Anyway It was my opinion. No harm intended. I also followed with the post on marina/ club criteria because I wanted to find out more. If its going to cause a fight amonst friends maybe we should not continue, I dont want to do that. I a;ready apologized if you found it offensive.

As you so elequently posted in another thread (quoting my friend T 37chef-)

"Anyway, I'm done with this discussion ...next"
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2013

I forgot my wink wink LOL

Photo by Joe McCary