Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake Bay, Western Shore Marinas

I also posted this in the "Destinations" section, but wanted to post here as well in case that doesn't get as many views.

Any tips on a good a marina within an hour of DC.

My requirements:

Deep draft, boat draws 6' 2"
Reasonable distance from DC (hour tops)
Easy Bay access

My wish list:

On the small side, I don't need / really want a massive resort
"Park-like" setting (aka, I'd like some grass and not just boat yard gravel)
I'd prefer to stay off the Beltway, 95 or 50

Right now we are at Paradise Marina in Deale. It's an easy drive down MD 4, couple good bars nearby and the marina is small (50-60 slips), has a community feel and if there's no wind, you can just sit in the grass and have a drink. I'd like to stay there, but just don't think it's deep enough.

Thanks,
Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Re: Chesapeake Bay, Western Shore Marinas

Before I read your last paragraph I was thinking of Deale. Oh well. As an alternative, Galesville is ten miles north of Deale. One marina attached to Pirates Cove restaurant may have enough draft but I am not certain. I have a mooring nearby with a mean low draft of 9'. Its a very quaint town and satisfies all of your other requirements and your wish list .
Old 02-04-2013
sv Cordelia

Other places in Deale might be deep enough, my current marina just doesn't have an open slip that is.
Old 02-04-2013
sv Cordelia

Thanks for the Galesville info. We drove through there last weekend. It is a nice area.
Old 02-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am in Pasadena, MD and work in DC. It is a 45 minute ride out 50 up 97 and out 100 on Friday evenings. prices are much better than Annapolis and also south of there. We sail into our slips and are on the corner of the Patapsco and the Bay.

Check out the website. If it interest you PM me.

Dave

Chesapeake Bay Boating and Sailing Clubs ~ Maryland Yacht Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2013

Greyhound37 is on a distinguished road

I keep my boat in Solomons part of the season. Deep, good services in the area and outstanding Bay access. West Marine, restaurants, groceries in the area. Take a look at Zahnisers Yachting Center. Other choices in Solomons as well.
Old 02-04-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
Any tips on a good a marina within an hour of DC.

My requirements:

Deep draft, boat draws 6' 2"
Reasonable distance from DC (hour tops)
Easy Bay access

My wish list:

On the small side, I don't need / really want a massive resort
"Park-like" setting (aka, I'd like some grass and not just boat yard gravel)
I'd prefer to stay off the Beltway, 95 or 50

Thanks,
Nick
Depends on where in DC you live? If on the North side I would suggest you look places on the Magothy or Patapsco/Rock Creek/Bodkin Creek areas. Do you know about Marinas.com. The site offers you good images and ifo

MYC on Rock Creek as Dave mentions (he is a member) is very nice club and a great property (we may become members soon). If you like yacht clubs, you may also consider Bodkin Yacht Club. They run it a bit different, you are required to do some work including bar tending on occasion, but its very reasonable priced with new docks in a very protected cove, not sure if your draft would work though?

There are a few marinas in that area that are almost exclusively sailboat marinas, Hammock Island Marina on Bodkin is beautiful, would be my first choice if they could accommodate our LOA. Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek is a family owned working marina, lots of gravel and little grass, no real amenities, but a great sailing culture and 99% sailboats, well protected and reasonable priced, good people (we are currently there).

If you're looking for cheap, Bodkin Marina is cheap but I don't think your draft will work?

I would stay away from White Rocks Marina on Rock Creek, just don't hear many good things about it and its very exposed to the North and West, their docks are fairly new though because of that . Fairview Marina, tucked away behind MYC is very nice, a working marina but is nicely landscaped and has a small pool, but I have also not heard many good things about the owners? It should be able to accommodate your draft, worth looking into.

IMO, the Magothy is the best place to be on the west coast of the bay North of Annapolis, with good distances to most points North of Solomons. A couple of places worth looking into, PSA Patapskut Sailing Association is awesome, but you must know someone to get in, and you will likely have to wait for a mooring for a couple of years. You are also required to work as it is member operated, but an awesome sailing community. They primarily have moorings, but you may be able to get a slip in say, 20 years . Another gem is North Shore Marina on Broad Creek, great spot with big slips and very protected, but hard to reach someone there. The docks are in poor condition and no haul out. Magothy Marina in Severna Park and Ferry Point Marinas in Arnold are very nice, but I don't know much about them.

There are others, check em out on Marinas.com Ive looked at them all over the years.

Good luck

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by T37Chef; 02-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Having kept the boat at a number of marinas throughout the Bay area, there is no better place to sail out of than Solomons. Deep water and a nice small town with good sailing destinations. I never did commute to DC from there as I did when on the Magothy or in Back Creek in Annapolis, but it should not add that much drive time. Zeinheiser's is nice as someone else said and I'll add Spring Cove to that list, but I kept the boat at Beacon Marina next to the Comfort Inn. It's not as nice as the other two mentioned, however there is one dock that is away from the hussle and bussle of the rest of the marina. "A" dock contains only about 8 slips and has an excellent view of the light house located at the Calvert Marine Museum. It's been a number of years since I've been there so check things out if you do decide on going there. There was talk when I left about putting some charter fishing boats on that dock.
Old 02-04-2013

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

I'm not 100% sure about 6'2" draft, but Whitehall Marina is right off of route 50, nicely protected water, reasonably close to the bay and John White is a good guy.

Whitehall Marina - Home
Old 02-04-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

There is a place called "Blue Water Marina" in Mayo, MD. It is on the Rhode River.
It is a bit basic - they don't even seem to have a website. They have a railroad style haul out.
Funky place.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.