SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Raymarine Pathfinder RL70C Fascia Cover (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96364-raymarine-pathfinder-rl70c-fascia-cover.html)

Lindstar 02-04-2013 09:52 PM

Raymarine Pathfinder RL70C Fascia Cover

All

I have an out of production Raymarine Pathfinder RL70C radar/chartplotter. Unit works fine, but the fascia cover on the screen is "clouded", and needs to be replaced. Factory service says part is not available. Anyone have any sources or recovery options?
Tx
Lindstar

Lake Superior Sailor 02-05-2013 12:06 PM

Re: Raymarine Pathfinder RL70C Fascia Cover

I would check on ebay as there is a lot of them dealt there ..Dale

Lindstar 02-05-2013 03:05 PM

Thanks. Am watching ebay. Was hoping someone might have tried some glass restorer or something similar with success...

Lindstar

Lindstar 02-18-2013 09:25 AM

All

Am continuing to check ebay and other offers to replace my RL70 CLC Plus Raymarine display that has become streaked and clouded. Yesterday, contrary to instructions in the manual, for about 1/2" along the edges of the screen facia, I used 3M Marine Plastic Restorer with apparently very good success.

Obviously there was a factory applied coating on the clear glass screencover with some intent. Does anyone know what purpose the coating served, and if necessary, if there is a coating product that can be found and applied?

Basically the unit suits my needs and I don't want to buy new now or go half way and invest in "old" replacement technology. At the end of the day the unit is servicable, and I can just do nothing......

Tx
Lindstar

transmitterdan 02-18-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindstar (Post 991756)
All

Obviously there was a factory applied coating on the clear glass screencover with some intent. Does anyone know what purpose the coating served, and if necessary, if there is a coating product that can be found and applied?

I have one of these too. The glass fell out of the unit so I looked it over pretty close before using a couple small dabs of RTV to hold it in place. It is just a piece of glass with an anti-glare coating on the outside. If you use the unit indoors then the anti-glare isn't too useful and you can live without it. I guess if the anti-glare coating is gone bad and interfering with the display then it isn't doing you any good outdoors either. If you are careful you can remove the coating and just leave the plain glass. Don't scratch the glass as it will be hard to polish. Sunlight viewing will be seriously degraded (to the point of unusable).

You may be able to find a new piece of glass with anti-glare coating and have it cut to the right size but I'm not sure what kind of shop would have it. I think most of the manufacturers of this type glass are in China now. Try internet search for anti-reflective or anti-glare (same thing) glass. Another idea is to ask your local eye glasses store if they know someone who can put a new high quality anti-glare coating on the old glass.

Lindstar 02-19-2013 08:53 AM

Thanks for the info and the suggestions!

A quick Google search gave some interesting results and a couple of options to investigate. It may be possible to find the original covering material - the ad showed what I believe was a Raymarine display unit - if I can find a commercial friend to order it for me, or also found Staples, etc., may sell PC notebook and other device "paste on" filters that may work.....

I'll do more investigation and post and update to report what I find.

Tx again
Lindstar

Lindstar 02-19-2013 02:39 PM

All

Based on the leads provided, I have done some internet chasing and found what I anticipate (hope?) is a simple solution to replace the original antiglare coating. The folks at Nushield have a precut cover in a "marine appropriate" material for my unit. Price was $17.99 plus shipping. Tech support folks were most helpful.
I can't post the link as a "newbie", so suggest you do a Google search on NuShield.

Thanks for the help.
Lindstar