SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Craigslist Scam??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96387-craigslist-scam.html)

TheWollard 02-05-2013 03:13 PM

Craigslist Scam???

Here is the scenario:

Coronado 25 for sale.
Buyer and seller meet. Buyer and seller agree on sale/trade and buyer gives $500 cash to seller as deposit in 5, $100 bills. In the same Wells Fargo envelope was another 7 $100 bills which the buyer kept, to be used later.

2 days later, seller claims $100 was fake. The bill was confiscated by bank and sent to Secret Service to investigate.

4 days later, seller claims another $100 was fake. They used to purchase another item on Craigslist, and that seller red flagged it.

Buyer had remaining 7 bills checked at bank and all were verified authentic.

Is the seller somehow running a scam? They have volunteered to visit a bank and get the 2nd flagged $100 checked with the buyer. Impression of seller is that they are just a regular family. Not mustache twirling villains.

The original bank says there is 0% chance they gave out fake $100 bills.

Now what? Seller would continue transaction, but buyer needs to pony up an additional $200 to cover the "fakes."

TheWollard 02-05-2013 03:16 PM

Re: Craigslist Scam???

Also, If buyer walks away, $500 deposit is lost.

johnnyquest37 02-05-2013 03:21 PM

Call the cops. If they had been alerted to phony $100 bills you passed out, they would have called upon you by now.

Philzy3985 02-05-2013 04:18 PM

Do the final transaction in person at a bank (or banks, you're withdrawal is somewhere else than their deposit).

And I guess be out $200.... if it's that or $500 I guess the choice is up to you.

That definitely sounds scammy though, that sucks.

IslanderGuy 02-05-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWollard (Post 986123)
Here is the scenario:
2 days later, seller claims $100 was fake. The bill was confiscated by bank and sent to Secret Service to investigate.

Wouldn't the bank be able to verify this for you?

arf145 02-05-2013 04:36 PM

Scammy

Stumble 02-05-2013 04:38 PM

Don't call the cops, call the local FBI office. It is the Feds that deal with counterfeit money. Any if the bank took bills as forgeries, there will be a record of that. And secondly the person who currently holds the fakes is the one out the money, not the person they got it from.

JimMcGee 02-05-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWollard (Post 986123)
Is the seller somehow running a scam? They have volunteered to visit a bank and get the 2nd flagged $100 checked with the buyer. Impression of seller is that they are just a regular family. Not mustache twirling villains.

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1...ably_small.jpg
If scam artists all looked like Snidley Whiplash they'd be easy to spot and there'd be no scams.

Tell them you'd like to go with them to the bank that flagged the bill to find out why they flagged it - banks do make mistakes - though they probably passed it on by now.

Get the remaining bills back. Tell them you'll do the deal if you each eat $100 and do the deal at their bank with a cashier's check and don't leave without the signed title.

Seaduction 02-05-2013 05:15 PM

Craigslist in notorious for people scamming; anything from what you mentioned to the "killer" that posted the job ads last year (or maybe the year before.)

TheWollard 02-05-2013 05:28 PM

The seller sent me an official form from their bank. I called the bank and confirmed it's validity. The first $100 was confiscated by them and sent to the Secret Service. I will get the results from that test later this week.

I'm hoping they say it's a real $100 bill and this was all a mistake.