SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Blue Water School of Sailing - Ft. Lauderdale, FLA (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96404-blue-water-school-sailing-ft-lauderdale-fla.html)

Advocate777 02-06-2013 01:17 AM

Blue Water School of Sailing - Ft. Lauderdale, FLA

Well, I have signed up for a mid-April ASA 101, 103, 104 combined course (6 days at sea - anchor out every night)
I had already taken ASA 101 (Basic Keelboat Sailing) - but it was on the Chesapeake and although we had a day of 20+ winds with gusts to 33 knots the seas were under 4 feet and my goal is to sail in more southern waters.
I was all set to just go and buy the cruising boat I want. But after reading so many posts here as well as feedback from my spouse, it seemed that most say 'sail on as many boats as you can, and charter some, before you pick the one you want to buy' to get more experience to see what you like and not just be an armchair researcher. Good advice?
I may still wind up buying the boat I want (Intracoastal East Coast, cross Gulf to Bahamas and south to Caribbean and/or Gulf across to Yucatan), but I figure more training cant hurt and it will also enable me to charter one or two boat types that i may want to buy...such as in a monohull an Island Packet 27 or 29/31 (affordable) or a used Gemini cat (less affordable)-
Now, some are telling me to get a much bigger boat in order to make it comfy for my spouse (actually Bruce Van Sant told my spouse would not want to liveaboard anything less than 40+) but the bigger boats have such a higher expense and plus I would like the idea to be able to single hand it sometimes. Sorry to keep rambling on......
So, I am excited about my upcoming sailing lessons and experience and Blue Water School of Sailing which I know will move me forward in my sailing/cruising dreams and goals!
Thanks for reading- any comments really welcome

IMAnonymous 02-06-2013 04:22 AM

Re: Blue Water School of Sailing - Ft. Lauderdale, FLA

The class may someday save your future boat and you.

I would not take a class just to try out random brands. Would I charter a boat I'm specifically interested in? Yes. Does that mean I'll pick the right one? No. There's quality of construction (How much corrosion will it have? What's the quality of the gel coat? How's the venting?), speed of design (will you actually get to where you're going before you run out of water and propane? How much motoring will you have to do?), and layout (it has to fit the number of people aboard). And, finally, what's the visibility? The easiest way to hit something is to not see it.

But take the class. You can never be too smart.

DougSabbag 02-06-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advocate777 (Post 986412)
Well, I have signed up for a mid-April ASA 101, 103, 104 combined course (6 days at sea - anchor out every night)
I had already taken ASA 101 (Basic Keelboat Sailing) - but it was on the Chesapeake and although we had a day of 20+ winds with gusts to 33 knots the seas were under 4 feet and my goal is to sail in more southern waters.
I was all set to just go and buy the cruising boat I want. But after reading so many posts here as well as feedback from my spouse, it seemed that most say 'sail on as many boats as you can, and charter some, before you pick the one you want to buy' to get more experience to see what you like and not just be an armchair researcher. Good advice?
I may still wind up buying the boat I want (Intracoastal East Coast, cross Gulf to Bahamas and south to Caribbean and/or Gulf across to Yucatan), but I figure more training cant hurt and it will also enable me to charter one or two boat types that i may want to buy...such as in a monohull an Island Packet 27 or 29/31 (affordable) or a used Gemini cat (less affordable)-
Now, some are telling me to get a much bigger boat in order to make it comfy for my spouse (actually Bruce Van Sant told my spouse would not want to liveaboard anything less than 40+) but the bigger boats have such a higher expense and plus I would like the idea to be able to single hand it sometimes. Sorry to keep rambling on......
So, I am excited about my upcoming sailing lessons and experience and Blue Water School of Sailing which I know will move me forward in my sailing/cruising dreams and goals!
Thanks for reading- any comments really welcome

Would your spous like this for her "living room"?

http://www.triumphcharters.com/index...on%20small.jpg

Well, THAT is our main salon, and my wife loves it for our liveaboard life. We can handle this boat together, or if I am alone and don't mind taking my time, I can handle her just fine.

1986 Tai Chiao CT 56

sd1953 02-06-2013 09:33 AM

I took the ASA classes from Blue Water. I had a wonderful time. Very knowledgeable skipper/teacher, great boat, great water, great scenery. We sailed down to the bottom of Biscayne Bay and back. I hope your class is as rewarding as mine was. Let us know how you like it.

ftldiver 02-06-2013 11:19 AM

a friend did that trip. not really off shore, but costal. -yep. biscayne bay. (nice area).

She was on a Gozzard 41 (IIRC). that may set the bar a little higher than your budget..

*(don't let the wife see the Gozzard)

PorFin 02-07-2013 10:33 PM

Not sure if they'd accommodate the request, but ask Dave to pair you with Bill Mount as your instructor (if he's available.) Bill's a great teacher and a fun guy to sail with.