SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

meltemi winds

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I am a novice sailer and am joining a crew for a two week sailing trip in greece during July/ August. I have spent quite a bit of time reseaching our course (we are going to be sailing the dodecanese islands) and have been wondering about the dangers of the meltemi winds. Since I have never really sailed this of course makes me very nervous. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these winds and could provide me with some information. I would really appreciate first hand accounts.. I have to admit I am a bit scared. Thanks

#2 ·
i spent a month sailing in the Greek island 2 years ago. It''s a very interesting place. i found that much of the time there was almost no wind, other times it was VERY windy. the meltemi winds could pick up withing 2 hours from nowhere, blowing 35 knots. the seas didn''t seem to build very high, but the 2-4 footers were very steep. Advice? Reef, motor sail, and don''t expect to goto weather very effectively. Another thing, don''t think that ducking behind an island will give any relief as the winds go over the steep mountains and come screaming down and actually gain 5-10 knots. If you''re preparded for these conditions, it shouldn''t be dangerous. Enjoy the beautiful waters. the cheap food & wine are teriffic, and the islands night clubs rock until the sun comes up. have fun!
--Greg
s/v Temptation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.