Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Oh what to do? boat on rocks/reef/sand/mud

last boat I saw grounded was in Brigantine NJ.. Sadly it was human error as he missed Absecon Inlet and put it directly on the beach

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I would advise reading a couple of books dedicated to boat emergency procedures. "The yachtsman's emergency handbook" is one, and "Emergency!" is another. I think the second one is out of print but it's great. It's very easy to find the relevant information, it's concise, and the hardcover glows in the dark. a nice touch...

These books detail in words and drawings all the things you could try. Having read them ahead of time, you're ready to execute any number of these plans instead of trying to invent them on the spot in the emergency itself.

During my epic grounding incident I was able to try the following:

1. Hanging jerry jugs of fuel and water on a boom that was out to the side of the boat (didn't work).
2. Shifting crew from side to side, or fore and and aft (didn't work)
3. Powering in reverse and forward (didn't work)
4. bending several lines together and attaching them to a halyard which I attached to a kedge anchor which was perpendicular to the boat. (Worked really well!)

Another thing I did, which may really help on smaller boats, is to immediately turn on your fresh water taps. Each tap at 2.5GPM empties 20LBS/minute while you're doing the above actions.

MedSailor
jrd22 likes this.
Old 02-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

If the hull proper hasn't hit bottom, on a smaller boat with a non-winged keel, get everyone to the "deep" side to heel the boat & reduce the draft. On a bigger boat, swing the boom out and get a fat guy or two on the end of it.

Hanging a big body or two from the masthead will heel it even more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-07-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallucination View Post
... don't go where you have not been before....
Can you clarify what you mean here? As written I would say that if you don't go where you've not been before you'll never go anywhere.
chef2sail and MedSailor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-07-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another thing I did, which may really help on smaller boats, is to immediately turn on your fresh water taps. Each tap at 2.5GPM empties 20LBS/minute while you're doing the above actions.
That's true. OTOH, you will only empty 150-200 lb out out the say 3000 lb (for a small boat) displacement. I would save the water for refreshment after the ordeal, and just throw the heaviest crew overboard.
Old 02-07-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

What I've heard from salvors/refloaters in general:

ground tackle put out immediately so the forces that set you aground don't set you further (or farther) aground as the tide rises or your draft decreases.

Don't lighten ship til you're ready to refloat. You don't want to bounce her on the reef and beat her to death. Before that, you might even add ballast to keep her solidly in place and not shifting.

Here in small sailboats in mud in the Gulf, we just heel her way over and try to back her out the same way we came in.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 02-07-2013

hallucination is on a distinguished road

My poor attempt at humor, the only people that have not run aground ever in the Chesapeake are those who ... don't go where you have not been before....

Sorry for the haircut.

Sounds like what I should pick up is either the glow in the dark book, or the The yachtsman's emergency handbook. I done all the ASA classes and none of them really detail well the "Oh S***, moments well enough for my tastes.

Thank you everyone for the replies, seeing that CAT in Nanny Cay really brought things home. It was parked right behind where my boat is docked. The pictures shown here -> 2013 Trip Blog and Diary 2013-02-01 don't do the damage level justice.

robert
Old 02-07-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

We have two media upon which to go aground- soft pluf mud and sand. We've bumped into both frequently when we sailed a J24, but I didn't do it in the Olson until last week when I was out singlehanding and distracted (by facebook, of all things). I was headed out toward the jetties of our harbor and managed to drift into enough fog (visibility < 100 yds, maybe?) to convince me to head toward the south edge of the shipping channel as I have no AIS and didn't think to raise the radar deflector since this was during the day. It was very light- 4-5 mph of breeze, so I was mostly drifting out with the current and decided to go forward to clip on a spinnaker. As I was tying the bag to the toerail, I hit bottom. The worst part of it was the disorientation, since I had no idea (for the moment) where I was pointed. I finally realized where the sun was shining through (figuring that was to my south at that time of the late morning) and figured which shoal I had run upon, so I just eased the sails to stop the boat dropped the motor in reverse and got off in about 2 minutes... AFTER my little panic attack. Then I turned on my chartplotter to confirm where I was and relocate the channel marks. I'm learning, but it seems like we usually get out of mud or off of sandbars using a different method each time depending on wind conditions and bottom topography. Sometimes healing the boat by having someone lean on the boom works well. At other times, a little burst of reverse throttle in light breeze is all it takes. I've never had to make use of the anchor, but I'm sure that day is coming. The fog that's been around here this year is amazingly scary stuff... I have a new appreciation for being blind!
Old 02-07-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Besides all the great advice above, considering the vast majority of times I've run aground were when I was using the engine, I will often raise all my sails and use the wind to heel over as much as possible.
That has freed me more than once from a muddy situation!
Captainmeme and Seaduction like this.

Last edited by DougSabbag; 02-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
That's true. OTOH, you will only empty 150-200 lb out out the say 3000 lb (for a small boat) displacement. I would save the water for refreshment after the ordeal, and just throw the heaviest crew overboard.
Clearly beer or rum would be the preferred refreshment after such an ordeal!!!

MedSailor