SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Best/cheapest place to get G10 grp boards? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96435-best-cheapest-place-get-g10-grp-boards.html)

CalebD 02-07-2013 01:49 AM

Best/cheapest place to get G10 grp boards?

I just used the search engine here to search for "G10" and it came back with no, zero, nada results. Interestingly there are posts with "G10" in the title. WTF is wrong with this search engine?
So, my question is, for the DIY, cheapskate boat handyman, where is the best (read: cheapest) place to order boards of "G10" material from?

I have a re-core project coming up for my boat and I'd like to use G10 instead of plywood. I have considered using bits of damaged FRP from the many boats that were damaged and broken by H'cane Sandy but can't seem to get my hands on enough material. If someone knows where there is a large amount of broken FRP I'd be interested in that too.

Cheers.

Geoff54 02-07-2013 02:15 AM

Re: Best/cheapest place to get G10 grp boards?

Not sure who is cheapest but try searching for "G10 sheets" and "G10 Fiberglass"

Geoff54 02-07-2013 02:19 AM

I just read your post again - I used Google and if you want to search sailnet for G10 use Google and search for "g10 site:www.sailnet.com"

bristol299bob 02-07-2013 02:21 AM

Not an answer to your question, but an answer to you search dilemma. I agree, I'm not a fan of the sailnet search engine. So I use google, with the site keyword to limt the search

G10 site:sailnet.com

Gives you let's of hits: https://www.google.com/search?q=g10+...&client=safari

Stumble 02-07-2013 04:49 AM

The best prices I have seen are at G10 FR4 | Cross Nail Laminates but I haven't ordered from them, so I can't make any comments about their business practices.

tommays 02-07-2013 08:55 AM

Having done a LOT of work witjh G10 and Balsa

G10 SUCKS for core work the Balsa is much better and will in fact last forever if you fill and drill the holes

The G10 is heavy REALLY hard to cut and way to rigid to conform to shapes

Having done a deck with sections using G10 in areas were i presumed it would be better there was ZERO differance

On the other hand G10 tube is the way to go for shaft log and sterring tube repiar/replace jobs as the tube is PERFECT

downeast450 02-07-2013 08:56 AM

Caleb,

I have purchased it from Hamilton Marine but I don't see it on their web site. My purchases have been in person and they have been generous with samples and odd sized scraps. Jamestown offers a lowest delivered price match.

It is definitely the way to go for straight stuff like bilge stringers and frames. I wouldn't want to try to make it take a curve. Nasty to work with. It splinters and throws off dust so take care when handling it, cutting it and breathing when using it. Worse for handling than any other fiber product I have used. I have a box of 1/2" bulsa I purchased for a project I don't have plans for and will sell it. PM me if interested.

Down

jsaronson 02-07-2013 09:00 AM

Interstate Plastics

Danjcon 02-07-2013 09:02 AM

Try McMaster - Carr

Rhapsody-NS27 02-07-2013 10:48 AM

I was looking around for G10 in order to replace wood backing on my seacocks. I tried looking at McMaster-Carr but the costs were actually higher than what I got at Jamestown Distributor. I really couldn't find it lower anywhere else for the size I wanted/needed.

As far as a core material, it is VERY heavy. Unless you were to replace a fairly small patch, I would think that it would be too much weight above the waterline that would affect how the boat sits in the water and its sailing characteristics.

Good luck on the repair, either way.