Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Nor'easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Made it through the night. Lots of snow here. 29 inches as of 8am. Cover held up well.

A friend tried to get in his boat at 2am and went into the water. Luckily the dock crew came by about 15 minutes later and hauled him out. He is fine. Wife is ready to sink the boat.
Tim, hope your friend is OK. Going in the water this time of year is no joke.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2013
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

I can't figure out if New Englanders are getting soft or the media is just blowing the situation way out of proportion.

In all my life I haven't ever heard people talk this much about a snow storm. Even two winters ago when we got two Nor Easterns in consecutive weeks people didn't make this much of a fuss about them. here in southern CT we had 4 ft of snow on the ground for most of the winter.

I think the weather people have learned from the news, politics and sports people... Make a big deal out of nothing and it drives your ratings... Now weather is entertainment news also. The really sick part about it is that I went into work yesterday to find that 50% of our essential staff called out. I have seen dozens of storms like this before and that has never happened... people sit at home and watch the news outlets sensationalize everything and then our Patients suffer because their nurse who showed up to work has twice the normal patient load.

Now we name winter storms... what will be next?

Last edited by IronSpinnaker; 02-10-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Iron,

I agree. It has become technologies enabled entertainment beyond what could be enhanced information sharing for safety. We used to hear about these storms, if at all, after the fact. Digging down to the top of a 55 gal. drum incinerator was winter trash disposal. We had Wood heat and cooking capability along with oil. Kero lanterns or Coleman ones and stoves were stored under the stairs with no fanfare. Warm clothes, snowshoes (wooden ones), several shovels were the standard. It meant we were going to eat rabbit stew for a month. Yummy! There were no flat screen (or any) TVs to watch the weather channel on. So we joke about it. Your comments about essential workers is no joke. I was one of those and everybody took pride in managing through it. Now we get interviews of people who missed their FL flight.

I love having Polarview on my laptop. My GRIB charts are informative and helpful when heading out on the water or making plans for staying safe and comfortable. Having Jim C. in his LL Bean jacket with a yardstick on the tube is useless at best and probably counterproductive. It is the same technology that enables his "exploitation". Perhaps it saved some lives. We used to rely on "The Principle of Natural Selection". It strengthens the species. It used to.

Time to shovel out the car. If I can find it! Ha! The sun is shining, 10 degrees and I should check the boat. It is supposed to rain tomorrow!

Down
IronSpinnaker likes this.
Old 02-10-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I have been an essential worker when I worked in broadcasting. It was great fun to flash that card at the local cops (it was issued by the state cops) when the rest of the state is in a state of emergancy and I am on the way in to work... especially when conditions were really not all that bad if you used your brain when driving through it

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

This thread has veered off a bit, but in a good way. Discussions about changes in attitude, about what is severe, what is important, about commitment & seeing our way to the goal. Found this on FB inbox today, me thinks it covers getting back to reality well -

One young man went to apply for a managerial position in a big company. He passed the initial interview, and now would meet the director for the final interview....

The director discovered from his CV that the youth's academic achievements were excellent. He asked, "Did you obtain any scholarships in school?" the youth answered "no".

" Was it your father who paid for your school fees?"

"My father passed away when I was one year old, it was my mother who paid for my school fees.” he replied.

" Where did your mother work?"

"My mother worked as clothes cleaner.”

The director requested the youth to show his hands. The youth showed a pair of hands that were smooth and perfect.

" Have you ever helped your mother wash the clothes before?"

"Never, my mother always wanted me to study and read more books. Besides, my mother can wash clothes faster than me.

The director said, "I have a request. When you go home today, go and clean your mother's hands, and then see me tomorrow morning.

The youth felt that his chance of landing the job was high. When he went back home, he asked his mother to let him clean her hands. His mother felt strange, happy but with mixed feelings, she showed her hands to her son.

The youth cleaned his mother's hands slowly. His tear fell as he did that. It was the first time he noticed that his mother's hands were so wrinkled, and there were so many bruises in her hands. Some bruises were so painful that his mother winced when he touched it.

This was the first time the youth realized that it was this pair of hands that washed the clothes everyday to enable him to pay the school fees. The bruises in the mother's hands were the price that the mother had to pay for his education, his school activities and his future.

After cleaning his mother hands, the youth quietly washed all the remaining clothes for his mother.

That night, mother and son talked for a very long time.

Next morning, the youth went to the director's office.

The Director noticed the tears in the youth's eyes, when he asked: "Can you tell me what have you done and learned yesterday in your house?"

The youth answered," I cleaned my mother's hand, and also finished cleaning all the remaining clothes'

“I know now what appreciation is. Without my mother, I would not be who I am today. By helping my mother, only now do I realize how difficult and tough it is to get something done on your own. And I have come to appreciate the importance and value of helping one’s family.

The director said, "This is what I am looking for in a manager. I want to recruit a person who can appreciate the help of others, a person who knows the sufferings of others to get things done, and a person who would not put money as his only goal in life.”

“You are hired.”

This young person worked very hard, and received the respect of his subordinates. Every employee worked diligently and worked as a team. The company's performance improved tremendously.

A child, who has been protected and habitually given whatever he wanted, would develop an "entitlement mentality" and would always put himself first. He would be ignorant of his parent's efforts. When he starts work, he assumes that every person must listen to him, and when he becomes a manager, he would never know the sufferings of his employees and would always blame others. For this kind of people, who may be good academically, they may be successful for a while, but eventually they would not feel a sense of achievement. They will grumble and be full of hatred and fight for more. If we are this kind of protective parents, are we really showing love or are we destroying our children instead?

You can let your child live in a big house, eat a good meal, learn piano, watch on a big screen TV. But when you are cutting grass, please let them experience it. After a meal, let them wash their plates and bowls together with their brothers and sisters. It is not because you do not have money to hire a maid, but it is because you want to love them in a right way. You want them to understand, no matter how rich their parents are, one day their hair will grow gray, same as the mother of that young person. The most important thing is your child learns how to appreciate the effort and experience the difficulty and learns the ability to work with others to get things done.
Old 02-10-2013
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

South Shore Long Island we had a nice storm, and a beautiful day to dig out yesterday. The weather media should be made to spend time in the real world....and we dont need more storms with names....hurricanes and Trop Storms are enough and readily distinguishable as a result Perhaps there should be a self interest scale broadcast next to each weather report to indicate the degree of profit likely to result if hysteria builds......
Old 02-10-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
While I agree that there has been a certain amount of hyperventilating about this storm, at the same time, it was a big one. Portland, ME recorded their biggest snowfall ever, and Boston its' fifth biggest. Hurricane force winds were recorded at Logan, and there was severe flooding along the Mass coast. 400,000 people lost power in MA. Better to be over cautious than under, I would say.
Old 02-10-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Here on the north shore of Long Island, near Port Jefferson, we had the largest 1 day snow ever. We received about 30" snow from Friday afternoon to Saturday morning. Say what you want, that's a lot of snow in about 12 hours.

I haven't seen anyone panic, we're all out digging out. The big problem is that there are a lot of abandoned vehicles, and it's very difficult for the plows to work. Also, there is now a foot or more of compact snow / ice on the roads, and i don't know how the town is going to clear that from the roads.

Yesterday I spent about 2 hours clearing my driveway and cars. Today I did my sisters house (and one of her neighbors).

My boat is still in the water and I don't know when I'll be able to get down to the marina to see how she made out. I did get down Friday morning and put extra dock lines on and chafe protection. Hopefully she's just fine.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Hope all is well Barry. Getting that snow out of the way is huge. Tomorrow we get a "wintrey mix" Then 40 degrees on Tues with Sun. Spring is just around the corner.

Down
Old 02-10-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Gotta agree with those that think the media proclaim too many "storms of the century". That being said, this one was big. I was born and raised in New England, and have lived here most of my life; I've never seen this much snow in one storm. Whichever poster pointed out that we had this much snow (and more) on the ground for most of the winter a couple of years ago, you're right. But it didn't all dump at once. I have someone plow my driveway; he was telling me that it was taking him about an hour to plow each driveway. There's so much snow that he has to take it very easy on his equipment or it will break. My town's Public Works trucks couldn't plow this stuff; they had to rent front end loaders. It was weird seeing major construction equipment doing snow removal on streets; that sort of thing is normally confined to the shopping center parking lots around here.

Anyway, after about six hours, my wife, daughter and I succeeded in clearing the driveway, the front path, a path to the back of the house so the oil guy can deliver our heating oil, and a path for the dog (he gots business to attend to). I don't think I need to go to the gym this week.