SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nor'easter

7K views 82 replies 32 participants last post by  IronSpinnaker 
#1 ·
For those who live in sunnier, warmer places here's what a real winter storm looks like in New England. And along with the hurricane force winds will come a foot or two of the white stuff. Not a good time to be fishing in the Gulf of Maine, eh? :(

Attachments

See less See more
#65 ·
This thread has veered off a bit, but in a good way. Discussions about changes in attitude, about what is severe, what is important, about commitment & seeing our way to the goal. Found this on FB inbox today, me thinks it covers getting back to reality well -

One young man went to apply for a managerial position in a big company. He passed the initial interview, and now would meet the director for the final interview....

The director discovered from his CV that the youth's academic achievements were excellent. He asked, "Did you obtain any scholarships in school?" the youth answered "no".

" Was it your father who paid for your school fees?"

"My father passed away when I was one year old, it was my mother who paid for my school fees." he replied.

" Where did your mother work?"

"My mother worked as clothes cleaner."

The director requested the youth to show his hands. The youth showed a pair of hands that were smooth and perfect.

" Have you ever helped your mother wash the clothes before?"

"Never, my mother always wanted me to study and read more books. Besides, my mother can wash clothes faster than me.

The director said, "I have a request. When you go home today, go and clean your mother's hands, and then see me tomorrow morning.

The youth felt that his chance of landing the job was high. When he went back home, he asked his mother to let him clean her hands. His mother felt strange, happy but with mixed feelings, she showed her hands to her son.

The youth cleaned his mother's hands slowly. His tear fell as he did that. It was the first time he noticed that his mother's hands were so wrinkled, and there were so many bruises in her hands. Some bruises were so painful that his mother winced when he touched it.

This was the first time the youth realized that it was this pair of hands that washed the clothes everyday to enable him to pay the school fees. The bruises in the mother's hands were the price that the mother had to pay for his education, his school activities and his future.

After cleaning his mother hands, the youth quietly washed all the remaining clothes for his mother.

That night, mother and son talked for a very long time.

Next morning, the youth went to the director's office.

The Director noticed the tears in the youth's eyes, when he asked: "Can you tell me what have you done and learned yesterday in your house?"

The youth answered," I cleaned my mother's hand, and also finished cleaning all the remaining clothes'

"I know now what appreciation is. Without my mother, I would not be who I am today. By helping my mother, only now do I realize how difficult and tough it is to get something done on your own. And I have come to appreciate the importance and value of helping one's family.

The director said, "This is what I am looking for in a manager. I want to recruit a person who can appreciate the help of others, a person who knows the sufferings of others to get things done, and a person who would not put money as his only goal in life."

"You are hired."

This young person worked very hard, and received the respect of his subordinates. Every employee worked diligently and worked as a team. The company's performance improved tremendously.

A child, who has been protected and habitually given whatever he wanted, would develop an "entitlement mentality" and would always put himself first. He would be ignorant of his parent's efforts. When he starts work, he assumes that every person must listen to him, and when he becomes a manager, he would never know the sufferings of his employees and would always blame others. For this kind of people, who may be good academically, they may be successful for a while, but eventually they would not feel a sense of achievement. They will grumble and be full of hatred and fight for more. If we are this kind of protective parents, are we really showing love or are we destroying our children instead?

You can let your child live in a big house, eat a good meal, learn piano, watch on a big screen TV. But when you are cutting grass, please let them experience it. After a meal, let them wash their plates and bowls together with their brothers and sisters. It is not because you do not have money to hire a maid, but it is because you want to love them in a right way. You want them to understand, no matter how rich their parents are, one day their hair will grow gray, same as the mother of that young person. The most important thing is your child learns how to appreciate the effort and experience the difficulty and learns the ability to work with others to get things done.

#66 ·
South Shore Long Island we had a nice storm, and a beautiful day to dig out yesterday. The weather media should be made to spend time in the real world....and we dont need more storms with names....hurricanes and Trop Storms are enough and readily distinguishable as a result Perhaps there should be a self interest scale broadcast next to each weather report to indicate the degree of profit likely to result if hysteria builds......

#67 ·
While I agree that there has been a certain amount of hyperventilating about this storm, at the same time, it was a big one. Portland, ME recorded their biggest snowfall ever, and Boston its' fifth biggest. Hurricane force winds were recorded at Logan, and there was severe flooding along the Mass coast. 400,000 people lost power in MA. Better to be over cautious than under, I would say.

#68 ·
Hey,

Here on the north shore of Long Island, near Port Jefferson, we had the largest 1 day snow ever. We received about 30" snow from Friday afternoon to Saturday morning. Say what you want, that's a lot of snow in about 12 hours.

I haven't seen anyone panic, we're all out digging out. The big problem is that there are a lot of abandoned vehicles, and it's very difficult for the plows to work. Also, there is now a foot or more of compact snow / ice on the roads, and i don't know how the town is going to clear that from the roads.

Yesterday I spent about 2 hours clearing my driveway and cars. Today I did my sisters house (and one of her neighbors).

My boat is still in the water and I don't know when I'll be able to get down to the marina to see how she made out. I did get down Friday morning and put extra dock lines on and chafe protection. Hopefully she's just fine.

Barry

#70 ·
Gotta agree with those that think the media proclaim too many "storms of the century". That being said, this one was big. I was born and raised in New England, and have lived here most of my life; I've never seen this much snow in one storm. Whichever poster pointed out that we had this much snow (and more) on the ground for most of the winter a couple of years ago, you're right. But it didn't all dump at once. I have someone plow my driveway; he was telling me that it was taking him about an hour to plow each driveway. There's so much snow that he has to take it very easy on his equipment or it will break. My town's Public Works trucks couldn't plow this stuff; they had to rent front end loaders. It was weird seeing major construction equipment doing snow removal on streets; that sort of thing is normally confined to the shopping center parking lots around here.

Anyway, after about six hours, my wife, daughter and I succeeded in clearing the driveway, the front path, a path to the back of the house so the oil guy can deliver our heating oil, and a path for the dog (he gots business to attend to). I don't think I need to go to the gym this week.

#72 ·
Gotta agree with those that think the media proclaim too many "storms of the century". That being said, this one was big. I was born and raised in New England, and have lived here most of my life; I've never seen this much snow in one storm. Whichever poster pointed out that we had this much snow (and more) on the ground for most of the winter a couple of years ago, you're right. But it didn't all dump at once..
The storms I was referring to were late Dec of 2010... Here in southeast CT we received over 20 inches of snow, which is more than we got this time around... Of course some areas received far more snow than us in both situations..

Also remember the Feb1oth storm in 2010? It dumped 56 inches in some areas...

#71 ·
We wound up w/ close to 40" here. Spent all day yesterday digging myself out and all day today at my parents. I had a drift at the bottom of my drive that was over my head.
Travel is dangerous.
Snow is piled up so high you can't see at intersections.
Every road I was on today including state roads were single lane. Most secondarys including my street still are not plowed.
If we get the rain they're talking about tomorrow it's going to be a real mess.
Jim

#75 ·
I went to the beach today... 86Âş and sunny in Ft Myers!

But in 2011 I was dealing with this;

.. and had to shovel my roof... Never again.

#78 · (Edited)
If you look at a forecast total, instead of an after the fact total, they didn't know they were only going to get a foot;) They were in the 18-24 inch forecast. The states in question issued their States of Emergencies based on the Forecasts, not the actual totals. For example Maine Gov Issued their State of Emergency On Friday at 3:13 PM...

Next time you find a Vermont car when you are out on the Interstate... Take a look at their front plate... It says "we are Vermont Strong". The difference is in their attitude.

#80 · (Edited)
This may be true with snow but when hurricane Irene hit, the state shut down for a week. Governor Peter Shumlin declared a state of emergency on August 27, in preparation for the hurricane's arrival not knowing for sure that the storm would hit them. Maine also declared a state of emergency just to be safe.

Not to argue how "tough" Vermonters are but severe weather should be taken very seriously.

I was in Vermont for that 2010 storm. It was nothing compared to what we just got in Portland. It did not snow nearly as fast and the road crews could keep up with it. Nor were there 50mph winds taking down trees and cutting power to thousands of homes.

In Portland, we went to bed at 9pm with about 8 inches on the ground. We work up at 8am with 29 inches with drifts triple that.

#81 ·
Do you know where Vermont's Dept of Emergency Management was during Hurricane Irene? It was somewhere between Montpelier and Lake Champlain in the Winooski River.

We happened to be in VT on Vacation that week. Attached are some of the pictures I took.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.