SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Nor'easter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96453-noreaster.html)

billyruffn 02-07-2013 05:36 PM

Nor'easter

1 Attachment(s)
For those who live in sunnier, warmer places here's what a real winter storm looks like in New England. And along with the hurricane force winds will come a foot or two of the white stuff. Not a good time to be fishing in the Gulf of Maine, eh? :(

travlineasy 02-07-2013 06:26 PM

Re: Nor'easter

I knew there was a good reason I was seeing so many boats down here in Marathon Key that were from New England and Canada. I guess they're the smarter ones.

Gary :cool:

chef2sail 02-07-2013 06:54 PM

A true Noreeaster

We are lucky as the converging lows appear to join just north of us in NJ, They are going to get pummeled. Batten down the hatches New Englanders.

Make sure you get the the "packie" ( new word I learned today:))

Stay warm and safe

Maine Sail 02-07-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyruffn (Post 987234)
For those who live in sunnier, warmer places here's what a real winter storm looks like in New England. And along with the hurricane force winds will come a foot or two of the white stuff. Not a good time to be fishing in the Gulf of Maine, eh? :(

One of my customers is out fishing right now... Hope he decided to come home..... I would be pretty concerned with the temps and keeping the ice off his boat. Lots of boats go down in the winter because they get top heavy with ice....

downeast450 02-07-2013 07:05 PM

Checked the boats this afternoon. Stands are tight. Covers are secure. We are only supposed to see 18" down here on Mount Desert Island. Here is hoping they are wrong. The Admiral is in Brunswick and will get the brunt along with you in Portland. X-C skiing in the Old Port for sure. I will clean up here and come down to clean up there on Monday. High winds will create some serious drifts if the snow fall is what they are predicting. Hope your customers out fishing have gotten home. It is cold!

Down

Minnewaska 02-07-2013 07:36 PM

I leave for BVI at 6am tomorrow morning. If I don't get out, I can't imagine staring out the window at this calamity, while thinking about where I should be.........

benesailor 02-07-2013 07:57 PM

Really?? 2 feet; that's a calamity? It seems that the news has really got out of hand. I guess for NYC and Boston that's a lot of snow. I'd hate to see what they would do if they got 8 feet in a weekend. That's 96 inches. They wouldn't know what to do. 5 years ago that happened twice in one month up north in NY! Then again; i watch the news and see catastrophic accidents when they have 3 inches of snow in Tennessee.
I guess i'm used to it.

I'd like to be in the BVI too.

eherlihy 02-07-2013 07:58 PM

Two years ago I said that I was THROUGH with snow, and I was not shoveling the roof again. Our oldest is staying in the home in MA, and can enjoy it, at least until I convince the admiral to sell it.

I am sitting on the lanai sipping a beah, and enjoying the sunset:). The thermometer says that it is 69F.

The admiral is in NY hoping that she makes her 7:30 am flight back to Ft Myers. Otherwise, she will be staying the weekend. I am hoping that this storm will help convince her that it's time to sell.

Maine Sail 02-07-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 987304)
Really?? 2 feet; that's a calamity? It seems that the news has really got out of hand. I guess for NYC and Boston that's a lot of snow. I'd hate to see what they would do if they got 8 feet in a weekend. That's 96 inches. They wouldn't know what to do. 5 years ago that happened twice in one month up north in NY! Then again; i watch the news and see catastrophic accidents when they have 3 inches of snow in Tennessee.
I guess i'm used to it.

I'd like to be in the BVI too.

No it is NOT a calamity. People forget very quickly how we spend 5 months in winter. The news media is all about HYPE and SCARE TACTICS, that's what they do..

To me this is simple, it snows we move it around with plows, shovels and snow blowers, end of story. I'll be amazed if we get 7" based on my 3:1 theory about the news media they claim 21" that means 7", they claim 50 knot winds and that means 17 knots......:):)

OMG I'm off to buy batteries, milk and power outage supplies...:D:D:D:D Yeah right...... When did we become a nation of Chicken Little's?;)

benesailor 02-07-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

OMG I'm off to buy batteries, milk and power outage supplies... Yeah right...... When did we become a nation of Chicken Little's?
Thank you Maine sail; you said it.

I told my son to double up the load of firewood. Just so i don't have to snowblow a path to the wood pile on my day off. I guess i should get an extra gallon of milk. Naaa.....
We don't have that hysteria around here.