SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96466-80-footer-versus-j-80-newbie-story.html)

GDSimmons 02-08-2013 08:43 AM

80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!

2 Attachment(s)
OK, so I'm a new guy here, just diving into sailing. I attended my first Yacht Club meeting last night so I can get my name out there and start crewing for folks and going on Newbie Sail Nights. Well, all visitors were asked to introduce themselves and there were a few there. 1st guy stands up, he looks like a movie star, states he and his family have been sailing for years, etc. Then he says, "just purchased a J/80". OMG My heart stops, mouth drops. I can barely afford lunch at my office cafeteria most days, and this guy here just purchased a J/80! I'm way out of my ball league at this meeting, but I'm here so I should at least introduce myself and quietly exit right LOL. So I give my intro: "no experience, no boat (I can't even say the word yacht lol) "just a guy looking to get out on the water and learn any way I can". Well, the whole night I'm staring at this guy in amazement, even shook his hand and could feel the power of an 80' yacht owner pass through my feeble rowboat status. I could only imagine the other HUGE yachts these people in this club own given this guys desire to join. So I stay and fellowship awhile, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. The minute I got home I immediately Google J/80 Sailing Yacht to see the beast this guy owns so I can show my wife and kids I rubbed shoulders tonight with an owner of one of these! OMG (mouth drops again). Are you kidding me? A J/80 ain't an 80' yacht! Wow, what a story to tell next time I'm at the meeting. I still respect the guy, he's got a boat, I don't. But I will feel much, much more at home at the next meeting! I got a kick out of this, hope you did too.

justflie 02-08-2013 09:06 AM

Re: 80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!

Wah, wah!

sony2000 02-08-2013 09:16 AM

Yes, when the rest of the world is using meters.:rolleyes:

Rhapsody-NS27 02-08-2013 09:17 AM

Those J boats confused me too at first. Saw a J/80 in person while in Germany a couple years ago. Thought the numbering was odd at the time.

SHNOOL 02-08-2013 09:25 AM

Yeah, 80 meters more impressive snivel snivel... Ok... someone should have told you... j/8.0 Like S2 7.9, um meters or yards or something.

Seriously though a J/80 would be decent to crew on... you'd learn a lot without having to really kill yourself. Asymmetrical spinnaker means easier douses/gybes, wide open cockpit simple set of primaries and secondaries... basically just playing moveable ballast and grinder as crew. They go fast, and are very stable boats, but still pretty forgiving.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a j/80 if I stick with the racing set.

GDSimmons 02-08-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHNOOL (Post 987544)
Yeah, 80 meters more impressive snivel snivel... Ok... someone should have told you... j/8.0 Like S2 7.9, um meters or yards or something.

Seriously though a J/80 would be decent to crew on... you'd learn a lot without having to really kill yourself. Asymmetrical spinnaker means easier douses/gybes, wide open cockpit simple set of primaries and secondaries... basically just playing moveable ballast and grinder as crew. They go fast, and are very stable boats, but still pretty forgiving.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a j/80 if I stick with the racing set.

No doubt, its a great boat, I was just way mistaken on the size LOL. I'm so excited to go sailing I'd crew on just about anything. The yacht club, Genesee yacht Club (Port of Rochester, NY) has a competitive racing group, and I'm sure the J/80 will be impressive there. Have a great sailing season and wishing you luck in the races!

Razcar 02-08-2013 09:39 AM

Great story! It's the boat naming conventions that are all over the place... your assumption was appropriate even if wrong.

blutoyz 02-08-2013 10:02 AM

You will learn more about wind on the J80 than you would on an 80' yacht I'll bet. That boat looks like good fun!!;)

deniseO30 02-08-2013 10:05 AM

Sigh.. leave it to the guys to make it about size...

sailortjk1 02-08-2013 10:09 AM

Are you sure you were at a Yacht Club? You said everybody was nice and friendly :).

As a newbie, I would try and become real close to your friend with the J, that will be a fun boat to be on and you will learn a ton real quick.