SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!

Tags
humor newbie
6K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
OK, so I'm a new guy here, just diving into sailing. I attended my first Yacht Club meeting last night so I can get my name out there and start crewing for folks and going on Newbie Sail Nights. Well, all visitors were asked to introduce themselves and there were a few there. 1st guy stands up, he looks like a movie star, states he and his family have been sailing for years, etc. Then he says, "just purchased a J/80". OMG My heart stops, mouth drops. I can barely afford lunch at my office cafeteria most days, and this guy here just purchased a J/80! I'm way out of my ball league at this meeting, but I'm here so I should at least introduce myself and quietly exit right LOL. So I give my intro: "no experience, no boat (I can't even say the word yacht lol) "just a guy looking to get out on the water and learn any way I can". Well, the whole night I'm staring at this guy in amazement, even shook his hand and could feel the power of an 80' yacht owner pass through my feeble rowboat status. I could only imagine the other HUGE yachts these people in this club own given this guys desire to join. So I stay and fellowship awhile, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. The minute I got home I immediately Google J/80 Sailing Yacht to see the beast this guy owns so I can show my wife and kids I rubbed shoulders tonight with an owner of one of these! OMG (mouth drops again). Are you kidding me? A J/80 ain't an 80' yacht! Wow, what a story to tell next time I'm at the meeting. I still respect the guy, he's got a boat, I don't. But I will feel much, much more at home at the next meeting! I got a kick out of this, hope you did too.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah, 80 meters more impressive snivel snivel... Ok... someone should have told you... j/8.0 Like S2 7.9, um meters or yards or something.

Seriously though a J/80 would be decent to crew on... you'd learn a lot without having to really kill yourself. Asymmetrical spinnaker means easier douses/gybes, wide open cockpit simple set of primaries and secondaries... basically just playing moveable ballast and grinder as crew. They go fast, and are very stable boats, but still pretty forgiving.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a j/80 if I stick with the racing set.

#6 ·
No doubt, its a great boat, I was just way mistaken on the size LOL. I'm so excited to go sailing I'd crew on just about anything. The yacht club, Genesee yacht Club (Port of Rochester, NY) has a competitive racing group, and I'm sure the J/80 will be impressive there. Have a great sailing season and wishing you luck in the races!

#10 ·
Are you sure you were at a Yacht Club? You said everybody was nice and friendly :).

As a newbie, I would try and become real close to your friend with the J, that will be a fun boat to be on and you will learn a ton real quick.

Reactions: GDSimmons
#11 ·
Sometimes the reality ain't quite as grand as the name.

I remember my old man chuckling when he made out a check (one of many) for my first year at college, to "Federal National Linen Service":

"Federal, National, uh, dirty sheets?" said he..

But a J80 is way more fun than laundry so take the above advice and go race with the dude..

#16 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I assumed a J80 was an 80 footer also. Never did understand their boat names. I think a J24 is 24 feet.

Some of those racers have some serious money though. The yachty I purchased my boat from, I am told, spent $180k on just the carbon fiber mast of his 50 foot racing boat. Crazy I think.

#18 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I assumed a J80 was an 80 footer also. Never did understand their boat names. I think a J24 is 24 feet.

Some of those racers have some serious money though. The yachty I purchased my boat from, I am told, spent $180k on just the carbon fiber mast of his 50 foot racing boat. Crazy I think.
That's what I love about sailing, theres room for all of us at every budget and we all get to enjoy it. I read on another sailing blog from a cruiser "sailing is akin to taking a cold shower in a raincoat and tearing up 100 dollar bills at the same time" LOL But we all know once that bug bites, we will make the sacrafice. Have a great weekend Casey1999!

#19 ·
That is actually quite amusing. Don't let a sailboats name and model # fool you though. It is not as bad as with cars but still confusing: Who knows that a Mercedes E350 is a lesser car than a Mercedes S500?

Just to make matters more confusing the "420" sailboat is not 42' or 42 meters. It is 4.20 meters aka: 15'. Four twenty is just a bigger number!
420 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

There is/was a J80 at our club but the PHRF on that is so low we never raced in the same division with it. Our old Tartan 27' gets a PHRF around 248 so we race with the slow boats even though our boat is bigger than a J80. It is still fun racing and trying to be the top of the bottom of the barrel. It is just a little slower.

#22 ·
What's funny is that the J boats folks (Johnstones) are inconsistent in their naming convention within their own brand line. Oh yes, by the way, an owner with a good, competitive J/80 program may well spend more money per year than the owners of many far larger cruising boats -- serious or even semi-serious boat racing gets really expensive.

#28 ·
Yes the Genesee Yacht Club is a very friendly bunch, and we enjoy them when they visit NOLSC. They have a couple C&C 29's down there and they would be fun rides on Wed night racing. Maybe you could snag a ride for the Youngstown Levels as they campaign there the third weekend in July. Good luck.

#30 ·
OMG My heart stops, mouth drops.
Perfect. By not saying a thing, you saved the day. That whole mistaken identity thing can make you look like a real ass if you are dumb enough to run on at the mouth about it.

BTW, LOVE your music, man. To still be rockin' and wearing the makeup and the costumes at your age with the rest of the guys in Kiss is just amazing. Keep it up, Gene!

;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.