Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

GDSimmons is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to GDSimmons Send a message via Skype™ to GDSimmons
80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!

OK, so I'm a new guy here, just diving into sailing. I attended my first Yacht Club meeting last night so I can get my name out there and start crewing for folks and going on Newbie Sail Nights. Well, all visitors were asked to introduce themselves and there were a few there. 1st guy stands up, he looks like a movie star, states he and his family have been sailing for years, etc. Then he says, "just purchased a J/80". OMG My heart stops, mouth drops. I can barely afford lunch at my office cafeteria most days, and this guy here just purchased a J/80! I'm way out of my ball league at this meeting, but I'm here so I should at least introduce myself and quietly exit right LOL. So I give my intro: "no experience, no boat (I can't even say the word yacht lol) "just a guy looking to get out on the water and learn any way I can". Well, the whole night I'm staring at this guy in amazement, even shook his hand and could feel the power of an 80' yacht owner pass through my feeble rowboat status. I could only imagine the other HUGE yachts these people in this club own given this guys desire to join. So I stay and fellowship awhile, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. The minute I got home I immediately Google J/80 Sailing Yacht to see the beast this guy owns so I can show my wife and kids I rubbed shoulders tonight with an owner of one of these! OMG (mouth drops again). Are you kidding me? A J/80 ain't an 80' yacht! Wow, what a story to tell next time I'm at the meeting. I still respect the guy, he's got a boat, I don't. But I will feel much, much more at home at the next meeting! I got a kick out of this, hope you did too.
Attached Thumbnails
80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!-80feet.jpg   80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!-j80.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2013

justflie is on a distinguished road
Re: 80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!

Wah, wah!
Old 02-08-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Yes, when the rest of the world is using meters.
Old 02-08-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Those J boats confused me too at first. Saw a J/80 in person while in Germany a couple years ago. Thought the numbering was odd at the time.
GDSimmons likes this.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 02-08-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Yeah, 80 meters more impressive snivel snivel... Ok... someone should have told you... j/8.0 Like S2 7.9, um meters or yards or something.

Seriously though a J/80 would be decent to crew on... you'd learn a lot without having to really kill yourself. Asymmetrical spinnaker means easier douses/gybes, wide open cockpit simple set of primaries and secondaries... basically just playing moveable ballast and grinder as crew. They go fast, and are very stable boats, but still pretty forgiving.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a j/80 if I stick with the racing set.
GDSimmons likes this.
Old 02-08-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

GDSimmons is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to GDSimmons Send a message via Skype™ to GDSimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Yeah, 80 meters more impressive snivel snivel... Ok... someone should have told you... j/8.0 Like S2 7.9, um meters or yards or something.

Seriously though a J/80 would be decent to crew on... you'd learn a lot without having to really kill yourself. Asymmetrical spinnaker means easier douses/gybes, wide open cockpit simple set of primaries and secondaries... basically just playing moveable ballast and grinder as crew. They go fast, and are very stable boats, but still pretty forgiving.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a j/80 if I stick with the racing set.
No doubt, its a great boat, I was just way mistaken on the size LOL. I'm so excited to go sailing I'd crew on just about anything. The yacht club, Genesee yacht Club (Port of Rochester, NY) has a competitive racing group, and I'm sure the J/80 will be impressive there. Have a great sailing season and wishing you luck in the races!
Old 02-08-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

Great story! It's the boat naming conventions that are all over the place... your assumption was appropriate even if wrong.
GDSimmons likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

You will learn more about wind on the J80 than you would on an 80' yacht I'll bet. That boat looks like good fun!!
chef2sail and GDSimmons like this.
Old 02-08-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Sigh.. leave it to the guys to make it about size...

my current "project"!
Old 02-08-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Are you sure you were at a Yacht Club? You said everybody was nice and friendly .

As a newbie, I would try and become real close to your friend with the J, that will be a fun boat to be on and you will learn a ton real quick.
GDSimmons likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Tags
humor , newbie