Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: "Safe" gasoline containers

The biggest problem with the new containers comes when they sit in the sun for several hours. The gas expands, the can resembles a balloon, and you must looses the cap and allow those explosive vapors to escape. Then, after tightening the cap, the sun goes down, the temperature falls, and the plastic can caves in like it was stepped on by the Jolly Green Giant. Totally idiotic.

Gary
mgmhead and kellysails like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

+4 on siphons .... and flex spouts too.

Imagine balancing 5 gallons of diesel fuel (about 40 lbs,) or 5 gallons of gasoline (about 35 lbs.) directly on top of a flimsy CARB nozzle; and, then wonder why these CARB nozzles only 'work' one time.
Old 02-09-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Scepter Fuel Cans are the best. I Bought a few from Amazon a few years ago. They were approve to carry on planes as extra fuel. They won't explode even in a burning fire.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-09-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
The biggest problem with the new containers comes when they sit in the sun for several hours. The gas expands, the can resembles a balloon, and you must looses the cap and allow those explosive vapors to escape. Then, after tightening the cap, the sun goes down, the temperature falls, and the plastic can caves in like it was stepped on by the Jolly Green Giant. Totally idiotic.

Gary
That is how they are designed. Cap you tank at a median temp and you should not vent tank regardless.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-09-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
There for many siphon devices on the market, they all work well supposedly before they all wrap up in the package.

Be the time you need it, they all curved up and pain in the butt to get them stay put at the bottom of the tank. I prefer the one that has a straight rigid pick up hose.
One may tie a short straight stick to the end that goes into the fuel can to maintain a ridgid suction end. I've not had to do that yet, but it is relatively unbreakable.
Old 02-09-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Absolutely agree.

We, sailors, are great when it comes to improvisation. Refueling at the dock or at anchorage is easy. However, when refueling short handed and during passage, a simple task becomes a nightmare. LOL.

I prefer this one:

I store it in the propane locker at stern.
mgmhead likes this.

Fine Print:
Old 02-09-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

The new cans are designed to keep all the harmful vapours in (much like the system in your car is) however, as the people making these cans are building and designing them as cheaply as possible.. you always wind up making a mess and even MORE vapours are released because of the spilled fuel.

I give it a 50/50 on both the industry and the government for the bad idea and it's implementation
msmith10 likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Like others, I spilled more gas on the ground than ever before, what a waste. So, now you have to call them "utility containers" or such, how PC:

Summit Racing® Utility Jugs SUM-G7988 - SummitRacing.com

Works perfectly, a person has to learn how to adapt, mine came with a screw on spout.

Paul T
wind_magic and kellysails like this.
Old 02-09-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Like others, I spilled more gas on the ground than ever before, what a waste. So, now you have to call them "utility containers" or such, how PC:
LOL Paul, the description says "Our durable Summit® plastic utility jugs hold your favorite liquid."

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

rockdawg's right, the scepter military fuel cans (not the ones they make for wal-mart) are the best for travel. virtually indestructible. much better than the old steel jerry cans. I just like the fact that i don't have to worry about them leaking, even if they take a big hit. The spouts work well too. The only problem is finding them. In the states you can pay as much as $200 for them. Much cheaper in canada (where they are made).

There is no equal.

2 Scepter Fuel Cans MFC | eBay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.