Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: In regards to Lightning

Thanks Dave. Appreciate your concern.

Caleb ... yes bonded.

Machine .... I wasn't inferring it did nothing. More that despite the protection she has still been given quite a wallop.

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I understand what your saying and maybe that helped, but I have seen many boats struck which were bonded whose thru hulls were blown out or which were pinholed

It is not accurate to say it WILL help if it'd record is not that it does help.

Maybe the boats you think it helped on were helped by other factors. I don't think you can attribute it to bonding as there are to many instances were bonding apparently did not help. The Catalina next to me in our lightning strike was also hit. Bonded like us. Sustained hull and greater damage than us.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-10-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

bonded in what regard? Not all bonding methods are the same... I look at it this way.. if NASA, the Military, and a lot of people with a lot more experience and smarts are putting lightning protection on their stuff.. then it must do something to protect what it is on.

It is just a matter of putting the right thing on.

When I get my cruiser.. there will be something of a solid connection from mast to keel... even if I have to do all the work and machining myself to get it done

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 02-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Show me the data not the hypotheses. Its snake oil and a means of making money installing expensive sytems. Tell me exactly what you have done to prevent being struck and how it has minimized it. tell me what you have deployed like the military munitions dumps?

Notes above are well documented facts, notes below are opinions.....

They are all opinions and logical thoeries and nothing more

We had all the preventers/ dissapators/ bonding and wre still struck ( sideswiped) by lightning last year in the midst of 1000 masts.

The best rpevention for lightning, is not touching metal objects and a good insurance policy.
I don't see where Sailing Jackson, or anyone else, is suggesting that anything can guarantee "prevention" from a strike...

So, then - does your unfortunate personal experience mean that you have removed all paths to ground on your boat, or any other "snake oil" measures purported to reduce the potential for a strike, or damage in the event of one? (grin)

TDW - sorry to hear about that, you've got your work cut out for you, unfortunately, hope your insurance company is cooperative... Perhaps Jeff H will weigh in here, I seem to recall his boat was hit years ago...
Old 02-10-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road
In regards to Lightning

Lightning protection for land based systems is useful, but offers very little guidance for sailboats. Unless you can drive a pipe in the earth as a ground to run direct from your lightning rod, the churches, ammo dumps, etc. are very different propositions.
johnnyquest37 likes this.
Old 02-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
Lightning protection for land based systems is useful, but offers very little guidance for sailboats. Unless you can drive a pipe in the earth as a ground to run direct from your lightning rod, the churches, ammo dumps, etc. are very different propositions.
Not sure why you suggest that, the basic necessity of ensuring a path to ground remains the same, whether the grounding medium is the earth, or the sea...

The principles of creating a RF ground, for example - whether it be for a land-based HAM installation, or a SSB aboard a boat - are essentially the same. Seawater is actually one of the best known grounds there is, one reason why commercial broadcasting antennas are often situated in marshy wetlands, thus affording an excellent electrical connection to ground...
Old 02-10-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Thomson, E.M., A Critical Assessment of the U.S. Code for Lightning Protection of Boats
May 1991, IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Volume: 33, Issue: 2, Page(s): 132 - 138
pdf link

Thomson, E.M., A New Concept for Lightning Protection of Boats: Protect a Boat like a Building
October 2007, Exchange
pdf link
Old 02-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't see where Sailing Jackson, or anyone else, is suggesting that anything can guarantee "prevention" from a strike...

So, then - does your unfortunate personal experience mean that you have removed all paths to ground on your boat, or any other "snake oil" measures purported to reduce the potential for a strike, or damage in the event of one? (grin)

TDW - sorry to hear about that, you've got your work cut out for you, unfortunately, hope your insurance company is cooperative... Perhaps Jeff H will weigh in here, I seem to recall his boat was hit years ago...
No of course not John. No extra cost in bondingmy boat and ewho knows it may moderate the effects, but not gaurenteed to. I didnt recall saying that eitherr

What i am saying however to beware of spending enormous amounts of money on lightning deflection devices, preventions and that the clains of their protection or directive capabilities are often overexagerated. Deploy them, but dont expect them to work

I am still bonded even though it didnt help with my strike

If there was a definitive answer to this why do the insurance companies not recommend it as it will save them major money? Or give people doscounts for utilizing lighning protection devices.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-10-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Pure guess work on my part but I'm figuring that while there is probably no way of avoiding a lightning strike providing a clear path from masthead to keel can minimise the damage.

If , and I say if, someone is selling lighting strike preventer then I tend to agree with Chef that we are into snake oil territory. OTOH, the aforementioned protection providing a decent earthing system should be quite valuable.

As I say, this is an area I know little about, but I reckon I'm about to get an education.

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-10-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Imo, they should call it lightning strike current dissipation, in that is what these systems seemed to be designed to do.