Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013

captainbri is on a distinguished road
Re: Hope this wasn't Tim R.

It happened to me when I was a kid we came back from the store carrying groceries, I went to step on the boat and the boat moved, My dad pulled me out and he went back to the store.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

One of the most chilling sea stories I ever heard was told to me by a friend who had spent a lot of time in the Med. Apparently a big sailboat - 60' or something - Was found drifting and no-one aboard - a real Mary Celeste situation.

The final conclusion was that the crew had gone swimming off the boat in a calm and the last one on board dove in without putting a ladder down.

Just imagine - everyone in the water, the boat right there with no way aboard and knowing you were all dead.

P.S. my friend always sailed with a knotted line hanging over the side after he heard that story.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-11-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
One of the most chilling sea stories I ever heard was told to me by a friend who had spent a lot of time in the Med. Apparently a big sailboat - 60' or something - Was found drifting and no-one aboard - a real Mary Celeste situation.

The final conclusion was that the crew had gone swimming off the boat in a calm and the last one on board dove in without putting a ladder down.

Just imagine - everyone in the water, the boat right there with no way aboard and knowing you were all dead.

P.S. my friend always sailed with a knotted line hanging over the side after he heard that story.
Or, perhaps he had just seen OPEN WATER 2... (grin)

Old 02-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I never heard that story, except on the movie, but I have a rigged rope that I can pull from the water and has some loops for the feet that allow me to climb to the boat. I guess it is a basic precaution.

Here the full movie, the one that was posted by Jon.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-11-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haffro View Post
Some poor person had a wicked scare and fell into portland harbor during this storm Hope it wasn't Tim R. Luckily it doesn't look like it is life threatening.
Thanks for the concern Samantha Jane.

You all now know it was not me.

I can add a few more details to MaineSail's account. The marina manager and one asst. were staying the night at the marina. Their plan was to walk the docks every two hours and check lines. They had just finished their check at 2am. They downloaded a movie to watch and were getting ready to watch it around 2:20am when they decided that if they did another quick check they could watch the movie without interruption. While out on the docks they thought they heard someone yelling but also thought it could have been the wind. Luckily they figured out it was someone yelling but they had trouble locating the source, again because of the wind. They finally found him after his neighbor heard him and was trying to get him out of the water. The 3 of them could not lift him out. He was unconscious by the time he got out of the water.

I actually was having dinner with him earlier that night and told him I would check on his boat. Once my wife and I checked his boat, I texted him to tell him that I adjusted his lines and the boat was riding nicely. He responded saying he was going to the boat anyway.

I actually did have thoughts of this very thing happening. When I went up to the marina office the next morning they told me they had a little emergency around 2am. As soon as they said someone fell in, I knew it was my friend. They knew nothing of his condition and asked me to contact his wife who confirmed that he was home from the hospital at 4am and sleeping well.

He had tied the boat so it was riding about 4 feet off the finger. He got aboard just fine. It was when he tried to get back on the dock that he fell in. My thought is that he mis-judged how his boat would move when jumping across to the dock. Of course, there was also snow on his boat and the dock.

As for us, we had a fairly good night being in the lee behind the restaurant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Or, perhaps he had just seen OPEN WATER 2... (grin)
Nope - he told me 30 years before that was made and it had happened several years before that. I'm pretty sure it was real - he wasn't the kind of guy to pass on 5th hand stories.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-11-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

We wet store and I'm on the boat almost every weekend working on some project. There is never anyone around this time of year.
I walk onto the dock knowing falling in could be fatal.
I installed a dock ladder on my finger 3 years ago. W/o it I knew I could never get myself out if I fell in. I know I have about 5 mins. w/ the water temp in the winter.
Since I installed mine several other owners have done the same. $120 for an aluminum dock ladder from defender is pretty cheap insurance.
Jim
Old 02-11-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Our boat has a pull down swim ladder that leads to our swim platform. My wife and I have rules for rough weather and when we have been drinking to never walk the docks alone. We have discussed our plan that if one of us goes in during normal times to try to get to the transom and get on the swim platform. At that point you could get to the cabin fairly easily. This all assumes we can get to the transom and pull ourselves aboard. We take the cold water in Maine very seriously all times of the year.

We often bathe in water that is between 55° and 70° depending on what anchorage we are in. We rinse with fresh hot water. Going in voluntarily and acidentally are two very different things.

We often see folks in the middle of the bay paddling kayaks in swim trunks and their life jackets strapped to the boat. We lose a couple a year.

-----------------------------------------------------