SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Coast Guard hearing on Bounty's sinking Tuesday (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96540-coast-guard-hearing-bountys-sinking-tuesday.html)

TomMcGuire 02-11-2013 10:35 AM

Coast Guard hearing on Bounty's sinking Tuesday

Given how the discussion about Bounty went on for ages last fall, I'd think lots of folks will be interested to hear what comes out of this hearing.

It's tomorrow in Norfolk VA.

Although it may be a while before the glacial wheels of the bureaucracy produce a report that we can review......

Despite my cheap shot about taking a long time, I will say that the CG guys almost always get to the heart of the matter in the end.

Here's the story from today's Virginian Pilot

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The full story of how the sailing ship Bounty was lost off Cape Hatteras during Hurricane Sandy could be revealed this week in a hotel conference room.

The Coast Guard hearing into the sinking of the Bounty starts Tuesday at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel and Waterfront Conference Center.

Investigators have summoned to testify the ship's owners, crew members, Maine shipyard staffers who worked on the Bounty and officials with other tall ships. The purpose of the hearing is to determine what led to the Bounty's sinking in order to prevent similar events, according to Coast Guard officials. The hearing could lead to recommendations to improve the safety and operations of similar vessels.

Sixteen people were aboard when the Bounty rolled in heavy seas early Oct. 29 about 90 miles southeast of Hatteras.

Crew member Claudene Christian, 42, died, and Bounty Capt. Robin Walbridge, 63, was never found.

Thirteen crew members managed to get into two life rafts. The ship's first mate clung to an emergency rescue beacon in the ocean. Two Coast Guard helicopters with rescue swimmers saved 14 people.

The Bounty had set sail in New London, Conn., on Oct. 25, bound for St. Petersburg, Fla. Ship officials explained the decision to leave port with Hurricane Sandy on the way on the ship's Facebook page:

"Rest assured that the Bounty is safe and in very capable hands. Bounty's current voyage is a calculated decision... NOT AT ALL... irresponsible or with a lack of foresight as some have suggested. The fact of the matter is... A SHIP IS SAFER AT SEA THAN IN PORT!"

Trouble started when the ship lost power, which meant it had no propulsion and could not pump out water, according to the vessel's website.

Before departing New London, Capt. Walbridge told people his plan was to sail to the southeast quadrant of the hurricane and ride it out. After sailing east, the Bounty cut southwest across Sandy's path before going down in 18-foot seas.

The replica ship Bounty was built in 1960 and sailed to Tahiti for the filming of MGM studio's "Mutiny on the Bounty," starring Marlon Brando, depicting the famed 1798 mutiny.

The hearing is scheduled to run through Feb. 21.

A hearing on the 1983 sinking of the coal ship Marine Electric off Chincoteague that claimed 31 lives led to more rigorous ship inspections, the requirement to have survival suits aboard ships and ultimately to the creation of the Coast Guard's rescue swimmer program.

MarkofSeaLife 02-11-2013 11:08 AM

Re: Coast Guard hearing on Bounty's sinking Tuesday

I wonder if anyone is obliged to testify? I wouldnt think they could be so the owners wont.... the crew who have compensation cases in the pipeline, or considering it, wont. The engineer wont cos he may be held negligent or have difficult questions to answer....

I cant imagine too many lawyers would want their clients talking....

could be a interesting hearing.

rockDAWG 02-11-2013 11:38 AM

I can't take a week off to attend the hearing, but I will be there for two days. I will go there with an open mind without any prejudice. :)

MarkofSeaLife 02-11-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 988618)
I will go there with an open mind without any prejudice. :)

Take a notebook. It would be terrific to get your impressions.

rockDAWG 02-11-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 988627)
Take a notebook. It would be terrific to get your impressions.

I will bring my iPhone, iPad and camera. I will take note and record the hearing as needed. I can't take picture or video during the hearing, but I can do so during breaks.

I hope this will answer many questions that we have. May be we can learn somethings out of this tragedy and most importantly that the families of the victims can find closure and peace.

tweitz 02-11-2013 11:15 PM

Coast Guard hearing on Bounty's sinking Tuesday

I think the Coast Guard can subpoena witnessed. Of course someone can take the fifth if he doesn't have immunity.

chef2sail 02-12-2013 09:18 AM

Looks like the 15th is out for me as I have work commitmemnts, but I am planning on driving down the 18th early in the AM from Baltimore area and comming back after it is over. The 18th is a crew testimony day

If anyone wants to come, give me a shout. I have a Highlander and room. Should be interesting

Rockdawg....do you know when the testimony begins every day?

rockDAWG 02-12-2013 12:06 PM

The 18th is the last day of Bounty Crews testify in person, so it should be good. The rest of the week are conducted via phone with crews, except in the last day (Feb 21), CG will have the podium.

The hearing starts at 9 am to 4 pm everyday.

Too far for me to drive about 5 hours, so I take the easy way and stay at the Renaissance for two nites.

casey1999 02-12-2013 01:33 PM

Live, Local, Late Braking:

Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

HMS Bounty crewman says he urged abandoning ship:

By BROCK VERGAKISBy BROCK VERGAKIS, Associated Press

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (AP) The chief mate of a replica 18th-century sailing ship that sank off North Carolina during Hurricane Sandy says he urged the ship's captain to abandon ship twice before he gave the order to do so.

One member of the HMS Bounty's crew died, and the captain was never found after the ship sank 90 miles off Cape Hatteras during the October storm.

A federal safety panel began hearing testimony Tuesday in Virginia to examine what led to the sinking.

John Svendsen says the ship was taking on water and had no power when it rolled over and sank. He also told investigators the captain didn't alert Coast Guard officials of the ship's deteriorating condition when he first suggested it.

Surviving crew members were among those subpoenaed to testify.

rockDAWG 02-12-2013 01:54 PM

Robert Hansen, the owner of Bounty, was presence with several lawyers, but taken the fifth.

Hearing into Bounty sinking during Sandy under way | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/yahoon...-31686999.html