Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013

Jettest is on a distinguished road
Need Ft Lauderdale Marina Recommendation

Hey all,

I'm a commuting airline pilot and my E-32 is currently based in Clearwater (Downtown) FL. I don't livaboard per se, but I stay aboard 10(ish) nights a month.

I dont love livaboard marinas, as I'm a quiet tenant, but am not opposed to considering one if necessary.

I'm currently paying about 450/month for a 40' Slip. I love where I am at CWDT, floating docks, quiet, nice neighbors, clean showers, and quick access to the gulf.

I'm transferring to Ft Lauderdale most likely in april and need a long term slip that permits staying aboard half the month (or I suppose livaboard ok) that has clean facilities, secure, 24hour access, shore power, nice neighbors, and most importantly fast access to good sailing!

I draft almost 5' and my beam is 10'something... With dinghy davits on and Bow pulpit i'm about 34.5 tip to tip..

I'd like to keep it under 450 as I was extended to the max with my current situation..

I'm also not opposed to Miami, or going north as far as west palm.

I GREATLY appreciate your suggestions and comments and will pursue any solid leads immediately!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Ft Lauderdale Marina Recommendation

Royale Palm Yacht Basin marina in Dania..I believe the cheapest live aboard marina with direct(no bridges) to the ocean.

www.royalepalm.com
Old 02-11-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Just off of Las Olas Blvd., there are some man made islands, about 1 mile from the beach, along the network of canals.
These islands have streets running down their centers.
One of those streets is called: Isle of Venice, another is Hendrix.
There are numerous small marinas in front of small hotels.
The rates for slips at any of the numerous marinas in this area range from around $600 to close to $1000 a month.
Some basic amenities come with most of these slips, i.e., access to a shower / bathroom, access to a pool, laundry facility, frequently a community barbecue, and parking.
That area is about a 30 - 45 minute cruise from the open ocean, after getting 2 bridges to raise for you; both of which are on their own schedule.
The prices of slips will drop the further away from the access to the ocean you are willing to go amongst the canal network, toward the West.
You can, for instance, follow the "New River" Westward, past a few Boat Yards, and find private docks for rent amongst the myriad of canals off of that river.
However, the VAST majority of those private docks won't allow liveaboards.

So, the primary liveaboard marina area is amongst the canals off of Las Olas Blvd.

Of all of those, there is one called Century East on Isle of Venice, which is probably the most "transient" and therefore would the greatest probability of having an available slip.

It is also a big plus to be so close to Las Olas Blvd., which is, for the most part the center of Fort Lauderdale.

Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Royale Palm Yacht Basin marina in Dania..I believe the cheapest live aboard marina with direct(no bridges) to the ocean.

www.royalepalm.com
Ahhhh, yes, but there is a problem with this place. It is right along the intracoastal, which means whenever a boat goes by you, and being RIGHT on the intracoastal that will happen frequently, you and your boat will go for a serious "ride".

I have been onboard some boats there, and it is amusing watching the owners having to stretch to keep the microwave and the TV and whatever else wasn't tied down from falling..... so these people learned to stretch their arms and legs in both directions, while balancing themselves for 30 degree heeling.... :-)
Old 02-11-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

Century East Call: (954) 523-2156

100 Isle Of Venice Dr Fort Lauderdale Florida 33301

And you may check this publication out for available slips:

Waterfront Times e-Edition
Old 02-11-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

CORRECTION: the Century East ad in that Waterfront Times says their telephone number is: 954-980-3230

USE that link I posted to find all of the available slips for you!
Old 02-11-2013

Thanks Doug... Looking into that now...

Any cost benefit (with recommendations) to going North (Pompano, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, Delray, Boynton etc)? or Miami to the South? Forgive my ignorance, not real familiar with the area at all... Google Maps!
Old 02-11-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

Well, it all depends on what / where you want to be near for your commute?

Because the highway: (95 going N / S) is jammed between Ft. Lauderdale and those neighboring communities.

We also rented a slip in Delray, the Delray City Marina / which was excellent, and further North in Jupiter, until my wife was about to commit suicide from 3 hour commutes to Ft. Lauderdale.

If you look at a map, you can see that there are fairly long distances between ocean access points North of Fort Lauderdale. You would want to take that into account if your want to be North of Ft. L.

So, you really want to consider the commute first, in order to determine where you would want to be.

If you will be reporting to somewhere in Fort L., then you really want to have your home / boat in Fort L.
Old 02-11-2013

Well... Though 3 hours would totally suck, I'm not opposed to rotting in traffic for an hour once or twice a week... Maybe pompano? Often I'm driving at non-peak times. I'm finding 6-800 to be the going rate in FLL proper and that's a bit above my budget honestly...

I guess Miami is probably as if not more pricey. We have a few pilots that make the drive from palm beach...
Old 02-11-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Ahhhh, yes, but there is a problem with this place. It is right along the intracoastal, which means whenever a boat goes by you, and being RIGHT on the intracoastal that will happen frequently, you and your boat will go for a serious "ride".

I have been onboard some boats there, and it is amusing watching the owners having to stretch to keep the microwave and the TV and whatever else wasn't tied down from falling..... so these people learned to stretch their arms and legs in both directions, while balancing themselves for 30 degree heeling.... :-)
I had my boat there...

Royal Palm Yacht Basin
629 NE 3rd Street, Dania FL 33004 Marina/Boatyard

Located on Dania Cutoff Canal with access to ICW, Port Everglades.
Phone: (954) 923-5900
Royal Palm Yacht Basin Located one mile from the Intracoastal Waterway on the Dania Cutoff Canal, south of Port Everglades. The entrance into the canal is at ICW Marker 35. The marina has 11 feet of water in the canal and 7 feet of water in the protected basin. The docks are stationary with tie-off pilings and finger piers. Slips are available for yachts to 60'. The marine personnel monitor channel 78 and are on duty Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.

..had no such probs as you apparently described. Location is right off Rt 1 and probably no more then an half hour from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport.

Last edited by aa3jy; 02-11-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.