Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
More Bounty Info

Sunk: The Incredible Truth About the 'Bounty,' a Ship That Never Should Have Sailed | Outdoor Adventure | OutsideOnline.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: More Bounty Info

Thanks.

Whoa, there are lots more info here that was unknown to us.

This is disturbing
Quote:
MANY OF THOSE CLOSE to the Bounty say the fight was lost before the ship ever left dock. It was worn out, they say, and its three overhauls—in 2001, 2006, and 2012—never fully addressed a persistent problem with leaking.

During the 2001 refit—the ship’s biggest overhaul—a good deal of work was done to the hull, but structural weaknesses remained. Deckhands took to calling the ship Bondo Bounty after, they say, they were repeatedly told to fix structural problems with hardware-store polyurethane sealant.

“You could see daylight through some of those fixes,” the ship’s bosun at the time, the officer in charge of maintenance, told me. He asked that I not use his name but says he was told to pull shackles and fasteners from a junk pile at the yard, even though they were rusted through. At one point, he says, the ship’s bowsprit fell and injured two crew members. Most serious, he says, was what sounded like “a waterfall” leaking into the ship at its forepeak, up near the bow, the same place where a torrent would enter during Hurricane Sandy.
If this article is reliable, not sure how much we can learn from the public hearing starting tomorrow.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Another Bounty thread

Most of what is on the article was already on the original Bounty thread. some new details that just seem to fill the gaps and confirm some hypothesis that were raised on the original thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Another Bounty thread

Most of what is on the article was already on the original Bounty thread. some new details that just seem to fill the gaps and confirm some hypothesis that were raised on the original thread.
Did you read the whole article? It is apparent that they interviewed a lot people to prepare for the article. The original Bounty thread was just a bunch speculations without any inputs from Bounty Crews.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-12-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Thanks.
If this article is reliable, not sure how much we can learn from the public hearing starting tomorrow.
Hmmm. Unnamed source, supposedly relating conditions over a decade ago. With at least two major overhauls since then, and several other sources state that one of those (2007, IIRC) was the most comprehensive overhaul, not 2001.

I wouldn't think the review board would give this purported statement much weight.
Old 02-12-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Some Representative of the Bounty said that she was in as good as shape as she was in many years.
In light of what happened and reports from other sources about the leakage etc. that statement may have been true technically but have the opposite meaning from what most people would take away.

IOW:
I could buy a dumpster boat for $100 that was in the yard bone yard for 20 years and put in a new battery and be able to say the same thing.
Old 02-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Some Representative of the Bounty said that she was in as good as shape as she was in many years.
All that says is that things could have been worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.