Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road
Smile The Jibster

I don't have much battery left but I just had to make this post to chronicle something that I have been made aware of as a variant of the traditional sailor which is becoming more prevalent.

Jibster: A Jibster is a marine version of the proverbial hipster. They are a subculture of sailor trying to accommodate their love of sailing while simultaneously shunning the popular social concept of the modern yachtsman. They are typically between 20 and 32 years old and wear bucket hats.

A Jibster will be found on an older sailboat of fair to stout craftsmanship flying hand patched 40yr old sails of non matching color or designation. They will posses at least two anchors but always one of them will be an over sized kedge style anchor used to piss people off when he hangs up on their rode.

Jibsters will own non electric tools including galley preparation devices and will only use a battery if it is attached to a 30yr old low output solar cell and just to power the navigation lights and marine VHF. They will use candles or oil lamps at night for light and cook on rail mounted rusted hibachis using charcoal or salvaged wood.

They will have no motor on the sailboat at all preferring wind power or yuloh for all navigation yet may have a dinghy with a antique Lockwood 2hp outboard attached so they can make the Old Milwaukee beer runs more efficiently.

They believe that using any sort of GPS or electric plotting device is too mainstream therefore they will posses at least one sextant worth more than the entire boat. They will also have roll charts instead of flip books and they will be 20yrs out of date.

The Jibster usually enjoys warmer climates since they wear Bermuda shorts, t-shirts and Sam Foster sunglasses (which look awesome under a bucket hat). They also will wear Sperry shoes but only if they were purchased in a thrift shop or yard sale.

They have been known to venture to northerly shores but only to provision organic tapped syrup or dried meats. A Jibster will fish for their meals usually by baiting a handmade hook with a cigarette filter to catch the bait they will use to catch the meal. They can also make hand whittled and painted crank bait but prefer using them as decorations rather than fishing with them.

Finally, a master Jibster will have replaced all wire stays and shrouds with rope.

If you know anyone that fits some or most of this definition please help congratulate them in casting off the yoke of the oppressive mainstream consumerist sailor. Revel in their courage to navigate by chart, sky and signs of the current. Embrace them as brother to the old salts of the past and raise a Pabst Blue Ribbon in toast to them and realize that the Jibster is here to stay (until they too become mainstream)

Morgan 22
Naples, FL

Last edited by AncientTech; 02-13-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: The Jibster

I figure the jibster is just another sailor of lesser means trying to make their way in this world... OTOH, get a haircut and a 'jobster'. Just kidding.
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientTech View Post
I don't have much battery left but I just had to make this post to chronicle something that I have been made aware of as a variant of the traditional sailor which is becoming more prevalent.

Jibster: A Jibster is a marine version of the proverbial hipster. They are a subculture of sailor trying to accommodate their love of sailing while simultaneously shunning the popular social concept of the modern yachtsman. They are typically between 20 and 32 years old and wear bucket hats.

A Jibster will be found on an older sailboat of fair to stout craftsmanship flying hand patched 40yr old sails of non matching color or designation. They will posses at least two anchors but always one of them will be an over sized kedge style anchor used to piss people off when he hangs up on their rode.

Jibsters will own non electric tools including galley preparation devices and will only use a battery if it is attached to a 30yr old low output solar cell and just to power the navigation lights and marine VHF. They will use candles or oil lamps at night for light and cook on rail mounted rusted hibachis using charcoal or salvaged wood.

They will have no motor on the sailboat at all preferring wind power or yuloh for all navigation yet may have a dinghy with a antique Lockwood 2hp outboard attached so they can make the Old Milwaukee beer runs more efficiently.

They believe that using any sort of GPS or electric plotting device is too mainstream therefore they will posses at least one sextant worth more than the entire boat. They will also have roll charts instead of flip books and they will be 20yrs out of date.

The Jibster usually enjoys warmer climates since they wear Bermuda shorts, t-shirts and Sam Foster sunglasses (which look awesome under a bucket hat). They also will wear Sperry shoes but only if they were purchased in a thrift shop or yard sale.

They have been known to venture to northerly shores but only to provision organic tapped syrup or dried meats. A Jibster will fish for their meals usually by baiting a handmade hook with a cigarette filter to catch the bait they will use to catch the meal. They can also make hand whittled and painted crank bait but prefer using them as decorations rather than fishing with them.

Finally, a master Jibster will have replaced all wire stays and shrouds with rope.

If you know anyone that fits some or most of this definition please help congratulate them in casting off the yoke of the oppressive mainstream consumerist sailor. Revel in their courage to navigate by chart, sky and signs of the current. Embrace them as brother to the old salts of the past and raise a Pabst Blue Ribbon in toast to them and realize that the Jibster is here to stay (until they too become mainstream and some other anti clique version of cool comes along to replace them)

In my experience it's only poverty or reverse snobbery that creates that mindset. Whatever gets you on the water though.
AncientTech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
In my experience it's only poverty or reverse snobbery that creates that mindset. Whatever gets you on the water though.
I am not sure about the snobbery but admittedly anyone that could pull it off for years may have an air of self-satisfaction. The two I spoke with seemed very intelligent one even having a similar background as I in technology so if they chose they could be making very good money. Over the weekend I came across, completely by accident, a group of 5 boats all anchored in the same location. These people seemed to come from a very diverse backgrounds. Mostly younger but there were two older persons my age on one of the boats. It seemed to me they were happy, healthy and clean simply enjoying what I (as an older man) would call a bohemian lifestyle. The members of this group had traveled slowly from points North on the eastern seaboard and were now skirting the gulf on their trek ever westward. At first I was taken aback but as I talked with a couple of them I realized they were educated and articulate and above all enjoyed all things sailing. So yes, whatever gets them on the water indeed and fair winds to them all. I myself doubt I could withstand their lifestyle for too long since I am addicted to comfort, electrons and the assimilation of information on a daily basis....and because of that I am envious of them.
SloopJonB likes this.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Old 02-12-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Ahh... the adventures of Tom Sawyer. There are still some out there living their dreams. Some are broke; a few others have a funding source but only use it when necessary. After all, the important things in life are good health and good friend(s) and the freedom to make the choices.
AncientTech likes this.
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Ahh... the adventures of Tom Sawyer. There are still some out there living their dreams. Some are broke; a few others have a funding source but only use it when necessary. After all, the important things in life are good health and good friend(s) and the freedom to make the choices.
At this stage of my life, comfort ranks right up there.
AncientTech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-12-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
At this stage of my life, comfort ranks right up there.
Quite right. The good health and friends along with the freedom enable one to be quite comfortable in one's surroundings.
Old 02-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

that all depends on what you find comfortible. Some people's comfort is another's discomfort.

I tend to live a rather austere lifestyle. I do not need much to be comfortible
AncientTech likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 02-13-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road

I think I'm a 'Jibster' ?
Old 02-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSF View Post
I think I'm a 'Jibster' ?
Then bravo to you, I applaud you for having the courage of your convictions. If I were in a better state of physical repair I myself might become one. There is nothing wrong with living that lifestyle as long as it makes you happy. Because in the end of all things, what matters is the life lived.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL