Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

GDSimmons is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to GDSimmons Send a message via Skype™ to GDSimmons
Re: "Sure I'll walk the dog, honey!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallucination View Post
You are all right! No reason to see the doctor.

my phases are a little more severe

Dog walking lead me to a love of HiCRI flashlights. Nice color rendering of brown
Flying planes lead me to doing a pre-check of my car...nails in tires...etc
sail boats...grew up on a livery....sailed EVERY day growing up....rent...charter...boat club...and then...check out the picture...bought.

You might as well going out to buy your inflatable lifejacket, sailing gloves and Maui Jims,

you are "caught between phillips and straight"
Thanks Jim, you live quite the life. I actually looked at getting my Private Cert. for flying as well, but it was too much time and $ for my lifestyle, I did get my son going though, he's 17 and has 10 hours under his belt, I told him to do it before life gets in the way. Sailing, for me, is doable! So I'm gonna do it, I'll find a way. It helps I can bike ride to the Port of Rochester, and I want to take advantage of all that Lake Ontario, the Great Lakes have to offer. Going a little stri crazy now, I used to ski but not any longer, so now I'm doing everything I can to prepare for April launch. Haven't bought the life jackets yet, but I di buy some charts last night and fingerless sailing gloves will be next.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
If I happen to be on Lake Ontario this summer I will let you know. Currently I am on one of the Fingerlakes and its a landlocked one, Owasco Lake. My schedule these days doesn't allow for much sailing trips beyond the afternoon day sail.

Hopefully my situation improves so I can launch my boat on Ontario again.

Brad
No worries, I'll even join you on Owasco lake. I have a Honda Odyssey with a tow package (no transmission cooler though). I can tow about 3,200 safely if you ever need a tow and your s/v isn't too big, I haven't checked out your profile yet, I will now. If you're doing any maintenance on the boat, call me as well, I want to get involved!
Old 02-13-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

oops, just saw that you have the S/V in your sig LOL. I'm learning! I like the Hunters, but I can't tow that LOL.

I read a blog last year about a young man from Toronto that took a Hunter '26 or similar from Toronto to the Bahamas and back.

Sailing Blog - AfterBlue Sailaway

Last edited by GDSimmons; 02-13-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I love my 260, she's a Winnebago with wings! I spent a month on Lake Ontario with her and also a month on Lake Michigan with her as well. I think if I were to attempt a trip to the islands I would opt for a larger boat! LOL

You should head on down to the local Yacht Clubs with same offer (helping with maintenance in return for a ride and knowledge) I bet you will be pleasantly surprised by the response you get. Not that I wouldn't mind taking you out but simple logistics would suggest local resources are the better option. The CNY Boat show is beginning today in Syracuse. I'm going to try and go tonight, I'll keep an eye out for Rochester area sailing associations and report back.

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDSimmons View Post
oops, just saw that you have the S/V in your sig LOL. I'm learning! I like the Hunters. I read a blog last year about a young man from Toronto that took a Hunter 26 from Toronto to the Bahamas and back.

Sailing Blog - AfterBlue Sailaway
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 02-13-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

Quote:
I love my 260, she's a Winnebago with wings! I spent a month on Lake Ontario with her and also a month on Lake Michigan with her as well. I think if I were to attempt a trip to the islands I would opt for a larger boat! LOL

You should head on down to the local Yacht Clubs with same offer (helping with maintenance in return for a ride and knowledge) I bet you will be pleasantly surprised by the response you get. Not that I wouldn't mind taking you out but simple logistics would suggest local resources are the better option. The CNY Boat show is beginning today in Syracuse. I'm going to try and go tonight, I'll keep an eye out for Rochester area sailing associations and report back.

Brad
Much appreciated Brad. I have started the YC thing, went to my first Genesee YC meeting last week, had a funny situation there, I wrote about it here:

80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!

I'll be checking out others as well and of course anything you find I'm game! I'll keep in touch.

-Greg
Old 02-13-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I used to get pissed off at all the idiots that go down the road weaving from lane to lane cutting other drivers off, now I realize they are in sail boat land and are just tacking. A word of warning though....don't hit the auto pilot so you can pee out the window.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 02-13-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

LOL a J/80 thats priceless!

I was at the CNY Boat show earlier and there wasn't much at all concerning sailboats and I didn't see anything from Rochester area not even RCR & Navy Point (maybe I just missed them).

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDSimmons View Post
Much appreciated Brad. I have started the YC thing, went to my first Genesee YC meeting last week, had a funny situation there, I wrote about it here:

80 footer versus a J/80 Newbie Story!

I'll be checking out others as well and of course anything you find I'm game! I'll keep in touch.

-Greg
GDSimmons likes this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 02-14-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

Quote:
LOL a J/80 thats priceless!

I was at the CNY Boat show earlier and there wasn't much at all concerning sailboats and I didn't see anything from Rochester area not even RCR & Navy Point (maybe I just missed them).

Brad
Boat show was the same in Rochester, NY, little to nothing concerning sailing or sailboats. From what I see on other posts, the major cities or Ports of Call have their own Sailing Expos that are amazing but nothing comes up this way. Thankfully, there is a large network of sailors around my area so I should be able to get some sailing in this year and learn as much as I can.
Old 02-14-2013

G20 is on a distinguished road

O how I miss Rochester. Went to RIT and lived in Henrietta for a few years. Don't miss the long winters but its nice to be so close to the thousand islands and the lake.

I constantly constantly constantly pay attention to wind and weather...thats good practice whether boating or not.

Tacking the car...different strokes for different folks I guess.

We all get it differently. Wait till you get a boat. It's all over then. Total loss of sanity.
GDSimmons likes this.
Old 02-14-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"My family is ready to commit me but "
Buy some cheap golf clubs, hide your sailig gear in the bottom og the bag, and tell them you'll be out golfing for the day. Everybody's happy.
GDSimmons and FinallySailing like this.

Tags