Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

GDSimmons is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to GDSimmons Send a message via Skype™ to GDSimmons
"Sure I'll walk the dog, honey!"

Since I haven't started sailing yet here in Frozen Rochester, NY, below is what I do since I have caught the sailing bug. I’m either crazy or am I already hooked (before I've even been on a sailboat)!

1) while walking the dog, or any activity outside for that matter, I'm taking notice of the wind, trying to see where its coming from, where its hitting my face, what the clouds are doing, what flags or smoke/steam from far off are doing, etc. This has added a whole new dimension to walking my dog versus just the pooper scooper. In fact, since my dog doesn't need a leash, I find that I have to remember to look down to make sure he's still at my side and hasn't wandered off or that I don’t walk into a light post! When I get home I review the weather on my phone to see how accurate I was about wind direction, speed, gusts, etc. So now, when I come home from work, and I find the kids haven't yet done the dog walking chore, no longer do I get upset. I just grab our little Shih-Tzu, Mr. Ollie Sebastion, and scurry out the door so I can once again put my wind and weather observation skills to the test. I know my kids are very confused now.

2) before driving I check wind direction, then as I drive I call out what I/we would be doing on a sailboat, what tack I’m on, etc. So if I’m cruising down the road and the wind is coming at me from the right side, I call out beam reach, starboard tack and my heading. I also take note if I'm upwind or down wind from other vehicles, etc. Then, as I make a right turn into the wind, I do the “prepare to come about, ready, hard a lee” etc. If I end up in irons, I note that too until the road or another turn puts me on another tack or gybe.

My family is ready to commit me but I’m just a wanna be sailor and can’t wait to get started in April. Hopefully these daily exercises will help my mind get used to the “processing” that has to take place quickly while in the boat so that I can focus on the other “live” scenarios happening once I’m under way with my mentor and crew.

GS
davidpm, jimgo, justflie and 1 others like this.

Last edited by GDSimmons; 02-12-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: "Sure I'll walk the dog, honey!"

Wow. You have it bad. It took me a year after I bought my first boat to get to this point. My condolences to your family but YAY! to you.

Don't get into an accident, though. When the police come and you shout "PREPARE TO BE BOARDED!" they may take you away.
sd1953, SloopJonB, G20 and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-12-2013

Andrew Burton is on a distinguished road

There's nothing you're doing that strikes me as remotely odd.
GDSimmons likes this.
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burton View Post
There's nothing you're doing that strikes me as remotely odd.
Which in itself is worrisome.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-12-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Seriously. What you're doing is fantastic. It's roughly what I tell my boating safety students to start doing as soon as they step out of that class. My personal goal is to get to the point that "reading" the weather becomes intuitive and I use all sources available to me to make an informed decision on my own.

But thinking in terms of port and starboard when I'm driving my car is a bit out of the ordinary. We have a 2-hour drive home from our boat so by the time I get home I've usually stopped doing it.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-12-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

When you make your wife stand on the hood of the car and snag a parking meter with a line tied to the front bumper while you inch into the parking space and dock the car, then you have it bad.

Old 02-12-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Seriously. What you're doing is fantastic. It's roughly what I tell my boating safety students to start doing as soon as they step out of that class. My personal goal is to get to the point that "reading" the weather becomes intuitive and I use all sources available to me to make an informed decision on my own.

But thinking in terms of port and starboard when I'm driving my car is a bit out of the ordinary. We have a 2-hour drive home from our boat so by the time I get home I've usually stopped doing it.
Thanks Donna for the feeback. I'm so ready to get started but unfortunately have to wait till the boats get back in the water up here at 43 N 77 W (hope I wrote that correctly). I plan on takling a boating saftey course this year as well. I'm also doing this crazy stuff to see which one of my 5 teens shows an interest. Right now its just my niece who is asking questions. My kids politely place t6heir headphones in their ears and listen to their IPODS as I sail down the highway yelling "Jib Ho" and "its too windy, reef the main!"
Old 02-12-2013
Newbie, Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
When you make your wife stand on the hood of the car and snag a parking meter with a line tied to the front bumper while you inch into the parking space and dock the car, then you have it bad.
LOL - good one! My wife is being very tolerant of my skipperish behavior so far. She doesn't know how much I tone it down around the house so I don't go overboard (no pun intended). Thank God there is SailNet where I can read and interact till my heart is content and get through these Winter months.
Old 02-12-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

GD, feel free to come down to the Dock this summer when you need a sailing fix. We're not that far away, and new crew is always welcome.

Bring the rest of the band.
GDSimmons likes this.

Old 02-12-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

I was right there with you until you started tacking the car.
GDSimmons likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Tags