Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What's a sailor to do in London?

Most of England is a 2 hour train ride from London. Seriously, you can't get more than 70 odd miles from the sea anywhere in the country.

I lived in London for a few months years ago, within walking distance of Greenwich (pronounced Grennich so you don't sound TOO much like a foreigner ). It's a wonderful city, unlike anything, anywhere here. From what I hear the Thames has been hugely cleaned up since but when I was on it, it was possibly the single most disgusting place I had ever been - an ancient open sewer. I'd go to the coast if I wanted to go sailing.

My best advice for travelling there? Take lots of money - LOTS of money. It's a wonderful city to be rich in but if you've got the shorts, not nearly so much. I think you will be stunned by the cost of everything there.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

Go on a weekend trip to the Isle of Wight. Definitely a visit (or several actually) worth !
Old 02-13-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

CalbD, love the pronunciation guide!

I personally enjoy the waterboat ride down to Greenwich. Pick it up next to the Houses of Parliament..and admire the statue of Boadicea, Queen of the Icenae ("Thy posterity shall sway nations Caesar never knew"); also worth having a look at the Thames Flood Barrier while you are at Greenwich. Good idea with global warming...

Too many other things to list!
- Hyde Park Corner ('cos that's where I was born :-)). Look over at Apsley House, which has the best address in the world. It's postal address is No.1, London.
- If you get the time, listening to a debate in the House of Lords/Commons is fascinating.
- London Eye, or course
- St Paul's Cathedral (having first looked up the photo of it during the Blitz)
- Natural History Museum
- British Museum
- Imperial War Museum
- Harrods (just because)
- Trafalgar Square, and the Mall down to Buckingham Palace. As you look down The Mall - look at the top of the streetlights for model ships sunk in the battle of Trafalgar.
- Walk down the embankment, especially at night. Have a look at Cleopatra's Needle - the twin of the one in Paris, both "acquired" from the Temple of Karnak in Egypt (as I recall). The lion statues still have bomb damage from the war. By the way, down parts of the embankment - and around other parts of London - there are metal "bollards". Originally many of these were French cannons.....
- The Inns of Court near the Old Bailey are..well, old.
- Whitby is lovely, but quite a way (there is an old expression: In the UK, 100 miles is a long way; in the US, 100 years is a long time). Personally I would recommend Cambridge. Go punting (if you are on the upper river, take a picnic and make a day of it). Some of those colleges are astonishing, even to the most jaded eye.
- Windsor Castle is nice and quite close.

just scratching the surface....
Old 02-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
just scratching the surface....
Not even. More like the faintest whisper. Don't forget the air museum in Hendon - it's a train ride but has an amazing collection of WWII aircraft.

The Tate gallery - absolutely astounding collection of Turners and some of the most famous works of other artists - they had Picasso's "Nude Descending Staircase" hung at the landing of a main staircase.

Any of the museums listed could use up your whole trip. Just a slow walk through the models at the Maritime Museum takes hours. Just a decent visit to the highlights of London would take months of full time touring - it's an amazing city.

Then you can start on the rest of the country.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-14-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Well, if you're going to visit Hendon, then get up to Duxford too, I think a better collection of aircraft, and a bunch of them still fly too (time it with the warbirds display, it is fantastic).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Haven't been to the UK for a number of years, but getting around by rail on the weekends used to be problematic because that's when they did their railway maintenance. Be prepared with "plan B".

A trip to Portsmouth ("The Flagship of Maritime England") and neighboring Southsea would be worth your while. A walk from the port entrance (starting with a pint at the pub there) to the fort built by Henry VIII in Southsea will give you a better idea of the history of this historic, sea-based area, including harbor defenses across several centuries. The HMS Victory is a must see and you might also fit in a ferry ride to Ryde on the Isle of Wight to get the waterside perspective.
Old 02-14-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention - since you asked - Foyles Bookstore (Charing Cross, as I recall) used to be the biggest bookstore in the world, with around 30 miles of shelving; so if you want to look for a book, that's a good place to go.

Also, the Thames has *really* cleaned up. When I was a lad, if you fell in the Thames, it was standard to get your stomach pumped. Last summer when I was there I saw a guy *fishing* off The Embankment. I was stunned.

Also - HMS Belfast - just over from Tower Bridge - is interesting. Many people also like the London Dungeons. Although I have never been there, apparently the massive Victorian engines which raise and lower Tower Bridge are occasionally open to the public....
Old 02-14-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

If I might suggest... it's easy to get sucked in to trying to see everything; it's impossible. Prioritize and take the time to enjoy!
Old 02-14-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Take your time. There will be more to see in the square mile around Big Ben than you could possibly see in a month. Don't build a tight schedule as you will see a dozen things an hour that you will want to see/do and can fill your schedule with.
Old 02-14-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Mini-thread-hijack. For those of us who are members of yacht clubs in the USA, which clubs in London and nearby areas such as Portsmouth, IOW, etc., would be both hospitable and interesting? Also, are there more options for the OP's original question about finding a place to hire or get on a boat without specific RYA credentials?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.