Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013
Oceanis 381

aquaholic is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What's a sailor to do in London?

I am new here so firstly Hello, a trip to London is not any more expensive than any other major city in Europe, in fact I think London is cheaper than many other places, ok so if you want a hotel in the centre its going to cost, but the transport system is great so no need to be right in the centre.

I digress, Greenwich (Greenich) is the only place in London to visit if you are of a nautical bent, to get into the centre its either by mainline train or driverless Docklands Light railway, 1st stop is the Cutty Sark Tea Clipper, which I believe still holds the record for fastest sailing ship on the trade routes, it is amazing and now floats on a sea of glass so you can actually walk under the keel!

maritime museum/observatory etc as already mentioned, one other not mentioned is London's Cable Car across the Thames, only a few quid and an amazing few, but not as good as the Shard

Chartering maybe a problem with no RYA certification, and yes southcoast would be better in terms of more boats, but Solent Sailing can be a bit like driving down a Freeway (I am getting the hang of the lingo) in rush hour, although its a great feeling.

You might also consider jumping a train to chatham (45 Mins) to visit the Historic Dockyard Kent Visitor Attractions, places to visit, Museums, Warships, Ropery, Submarine[/url] its where HMS Victory was Built and is steeped in Naval History along with being the location for the British Navy's darkest Days (when the Cheeseheads.....sorry Dutch invaded).

Its also where I keep my boat.......I would be Happy to welcome a sailor from across the pond for a day out if you were interested, (subject to me being satisfied that you will not try and make me squeal like a pig, and you that I am not actually Jack the Ripper in disguise)

Hope you have a great time either way, if you are interested in a trip drop me a PM or email.

Regards
Neil
P.S a few videos sailing in the UK https://www.youtube.com/user/nautica.../videos?view=0

Last edited by aquaholic; 02-14-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Re: What's a sailor to do in London?

Be sure to have your photo taken at the Greenwich Observatory with your feet astride the International Date Line, and checking your watch. With that photo, you prove that "You Have Arrived"!
Dick
Old 02-14-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I was in London last month for a whole 3 days, two of which were work, in the "City". Never got west of St Paul's nor east of Leman st. which is kind of the beginning of the East End. All on foot, in 2 inches of snow that Londoners didn't seem to know quite what to make of.

Loved it. With more time I'd have gone west to Kensington and Hyde Park etc but just between Tower Bridge (hotel near there) and Millenium Bridge (together that's a nice jogging rectangle along the riverfront there was so much to see, streets at disorienting angles with ever-changing names, great juxtaposition of the very old and very new (much more of latter since my last time a decade ago) that I was quite satisfied.

Ethnic quickie restaurants were fine for grub, it ain't Paris so food for me was utilitarian.

The City's just a knockout. So don't overlook it amidst all those great museums. I think it helps in a way if you're working there, you see it in a way that you don't as a tourist (okay I was partially a tourist but I didn't overbook myself).

Oh, and on the overseas flight home, we chased the evening twilight all the way across the Ocean, it was cool. Three seats across both ways, so got sleep and had little jet lag.
Old 02-14-2013

billsull is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all - SN never disappoints when I need information!

Perhaps I'll post an addendum to this thread once I get across the pond. Given the short amount of time I have on this trip, I think I am going to focus on Greenwich and getting to the coast for a day. I'm also trying to arrange for my Admiral to come over for the final weekend of my stay, so it that happens, I expect I'll be spending that time traipsing through Harrods or in the West End. I'll grumble about missing valuable "keel kicking" time, but secretly, I'll enjoy those activities too!

Aquaholic, thanks for the kind invite, subject of course, to my passing the background check! ;^) If you're available sometime on March 2 or 3, perhaps we can meet. I'll PM you.
aquaholic likes this.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2013
Oceanis 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsull View Post
Aquaholic, thanks for the kind invite, subject of course, to my passing the background check! ;^) If you're available sometime on March 2 or 3, perhaps we can meet. I'll PM you.
Have got your PM and will drop you an email.
Old 02-14-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
Be sure to have your photo taken at the Greenwich Observatory with your feet astride the International Date Line, and checking your watch. With that photo, you prove that "You Have Arrived"!
Dick
The International Date Line is a loooooong way from Greenwich. Greenwich is 0°, the date line is 180° on the other side of the world. Just thought I'd mention that

One place that appears not to have been mentioned and all museums are a matter of personal interest but if you have ANY technical bent, you cannot go past the Science Museum. I spent a whole day in there and never saw more than half of it. It is spectacular.

See it here: Science Museum, London

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-11-2013
Oceanis 381

I am pleased to say that I managed to meet up with billsull on his visit to London and gave him a whirlwind tour of Chatham Dockyard, the Marina, lunch at the local Yacht Club and a sail on the River Medway.

Hopefully he enjoyed it, and it was a pleasure to meet up with a thouroughly nice guy from the other side of the pond!
Old 03-11-2013

Mor22 is on a distinguished road

We are heading over for a family visit and are planning a couple of days in Poole, Dorset. 2 hours fast train from London. There is a sailing centre with charters, lessons etc. there which you could google to see if there is something there for you. Also great boat trips along the coastline and around the harbor on either local tourboats or fast RIBs for some excitement. Considered a place of historic and national beauty, you would likely enjoy the trip.
Old 03-11-2013

Mor22 is on a distinguished road

Didnt realize that post was so old when I replied. Well hopefully the info is useful to someone else going across the pond.
Old 03-12-2013

CrewInCowes is on a distinguished road

In the evening you could visit a new distillery that recently opened just off Fleet Street. The first distillery in the City of London for 200 years. Lovely hand made stills (German) and you can get a tour too. cityoflondondistillery.com

Last edited by CrewInCowes; 03-12-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: typo