Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: my boat dances on a ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallucination View Post
I have thought about that. problem is she is a single backstay with a mast roller furl. I don't know if I have a spare halyard run. Probably don't want to drop the topping lift. Plus it has a VERY abundant Bimini.

I could rig a pulley up the backstay ~10 feet up if it turns out to be the only solution.
Do yourself a favor and install a Garhaurer rigid vang and re-reave your main topping lift as a spare main halyard. Someday you'll need it and in the mean time you have a solution to using a riding sail and, in future, a "Mainster" (once you learn a bit more about sailing).
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013

hallucination is on a distinguished road

boat is fitted with a Selden rod kicker. How does that differ from a Garhaurer rigid vang>

Of course everyone is always learning, hopefully from smart people.
Old 02-13-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and install a Garhaurer rigid vang and re-reave your main topping lift as a spare main halyard. Someday you'll need it and in the mean time you have a solution to using a riding sail and, in future, a "Mainster" (once you learn a bit more about sailing).
Know that's some good info. I never thought to turn my topping lift into a additional main halyard.
Old 02-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Happy boat!

I was out in a Bavaria 40 a few weeks ago, and experienced the same thing. My ~theory~ is that the hull is acting like an aerodynamic wing (yep, pilot in another life ). I suspect that both of the boats have similar profiles, both FARR designs. Plumb stern/bow, relatively flat hull under the water line, huge beam, limited cross section on the T-keel, coffee table rudder, and a rather large amount of real estate (sorry I don't know the term) from the water line to the deck. pictures abound of what I am talking about.
I looked it up when the topic came up. Very modern looking boat with a very wide and wing shaped cabin that smoothly rises out of the foredeck and then smootly drops towards the stern. Would not surprise me if there was some aero effects going on
hallucination likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2013

geehaw is on a distinguished road

I heard a snubber line run from rode to a mid cleat can be used to pull the pull the boat askew a little and help stop it.
hallucination likes this.
Old 02-13-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

you can also tie a line (rolling hitch) to your anchor rode, and run it back to a winch. If she dances, crank on the winch till she stops (sounds like the inquisition ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 02-13-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Freeboard is the term you are looking for.

Brad

Quote:
Happy boat!

I suspect that throwing a drogue is the easy button. that being said, a riding sail of some sort will end up as the solution.

I was out in a Bavaria 40 a few weeks ago, and experienced the same thing. My ~theory~ is that the hull is acting like an aerodynamic wing (yep, pilot in another life ). I suspect that both of the boats have similar profiles, both FARR designs. Plumb stern/bow, relatively flat hull under the water line, huge beam, limited cross section on the T-keel, coffee table rudder, and a rather large amount of real estate (sorry I don't know the term) from the water line to the deck. pictures abound of what I am talking about.

Needless to say, not a problem on an Island Packet....

of course "opinions and theories are like....everyone has one or two..."
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 02-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Do you have a dodger? If so, can you leave it up? That might help act as a baffle if there is truly some aerodynamics at play.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-13-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

My boat sails starts to sail at anchor when the wind is over 10 kts or so. A few remedies I've used:

- riding sail, hanked to the bakstay, hoisted with the spinnaker halyard.
- bridle, rigged from the rode to the mid or stern cleat.
- 15lb Kellet on the rode
- stern anchor, not set, but deployed to just drag on the bottom.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 02-14-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I am surprised that no one mentioned one of the main potential causes. Modern rig configurations have moved towards larger mainsails and smaller jibs which pushes the mast forward in the boat from where it might have been 20 years ago. The move to cabin top mounted mainsheets has added to that trend of pushing the rig forward. While the larger mainsail and smaller jib proportion is generally more aerodynamically efficient, and makes it usually easier to sail and shift gears with changing conditions, this tendancy to move the mast forward destabilizes the boat on the mooring. With the advent of in-mast furling spars have gotten much larger and that really aggrevates the situation providing lots more sail area.

On the other hand, I see kiting is a minor nuisance, but a nuisance just the same.

My own boat has a tendancy to kite pretty aggressively in the right conditions. On one notable occasion I saw almost a knot on the GPS.

I have several strategies to deal with this. While this option is not always available, I typically let out more rode than would typically be expected. I have tried skewing the boat (as suggested) and found that works reasonably well in some conditions (steady rather than gusty winds). I have removed the jib from the furler on occasion (tight anchorage and lots of wind) and that helped a lot, but then again it is pretty easy for me to drop and raise my jibs and I do it every time I come in so it is routine.

When I cannot let out much scope I use a kellet shackled to the (boat) end of the chain.

I made a small riding sail on my previous boat. It worked very well most of the time. I came up with a design that had a pocket in its forward and aft edges and I used PVC pipe to make battens so the sail would stay stable in shape. (If I made one again, I would use heavier fabric and use strops rather than pockets to make the battens more easily removeable.) I have seen riding sails which were triangular shape when seen from above, and I speculate that may be even more effective than the simple flat triangular sail I made.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-14-2013 at 09:25 AM.