SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   my boat dances on a ball (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96613-my-boat-dances-ball.html)

hallucination 02-13-2013 03:18 PM

my boat dances on a ball

Apparently my 46 Vision from Bavaria has a bad habit. She like to dance around on moorings.Not sure exactly what the deal is but she comes up on the ball. (long story, bought boat, put her in charter, so popular it's hard for me to get time). I'll be one her in two weeks. :D:D:D:D

Apparently running port/starboard line through pennant has been tried. setting helm hard port/starboard has been tried. Currently thinking a drogue , sea anchor.

any thoughts? I know, just run the engine all night and have it in a gentle reverse :cool:

svHyLyte 02-13-2013 03:24 PM

Re: my boat dances on a ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by hallucination (Post 989700)
Apparently my 46 Vision from Bavaria has a bad habit. She like to dance around on moorings.Not sure exactly what the deal is but she comes up on the ball. (long story, bought boat, put her in charter, so popular it's hard for me to get time). I'll be one her in two weeks. :D:D:D:D

Apparently running port/starboard line through pennant has been tried. setting helm hard port/starboard has been tried. Currently thinking a drogue , sea anchor.

any thoughts? I know, just run the engine all night and have it in a gentle reverse :cool:

Buy or make yourself a riding sail. Take a look at (Click on) the Fin Delta by Banner Bay

FWIW...

Quester 02-13-2013 05:02 PM

Stern-to. Center of pressure (wind) will be farther "aft" (the new aft - bow of the boat which is now the end away from the bouy) causing things to steady out. Has worked well for me but I've never done it longer than overnight.

Obviously this won't always be a good idea even if it works, considering how the mooring line will ride off the stern, weather, idiots in the moorage freaked out by a boat moored facing downwind, etc.

luck66 02-13-2013 05:09 PM

Sounds like your boat is happy. You could try a riding sail, which would make her more happy.

Faster 02-13-2013 05:12 PM

I think those are your two options... either a riding sail or mooring stern-to. Boats that 'sail' on the hook or the mooring can be a challenge...

hallucination 02-13-2013 05:16 PM

I have thought about that. problem is she is a single backstay with a mast roller furl. I don't know if I have a spare halyard run. Probably don't want to drop the topping lift. Plus it has a VERY abundant Bimini.

I could rig a pulley up the backstay ~10 feet up if it turns out to be the only solution.

chef2sail 02-13-2013 05:36 PM

My old Islander use to love to sail back and forth. Scared the crap out of anyone anchored near us.

Cheap small Triangle of sail ( ours was 4 Fft along the back stay, 6 feet the other leggs= 12 cu ft) with gromets on the three corners. One attached to a cleat on the single backstay above the bimini. One attachment point to the Boom. Sail pulled upright by final attachent point by the main halyard clipped thorugh the gromet . Since we always unclipped ours when anchored or moored it was available.

Our C&C is rock steady at anchor.

mad_machine 02-13-2013 05:41 PM

interesting. If she were a full keel boat, I would say she was dancing with the current and not the wind. As a fin keel.. I am not so sure.

I would never tie up to a mooring stern to. Boats are made to take waves on the bow, making them take them from the stern is just asking for getting swamped

Faster 02-13-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 989776)
...I would never tie up to a mooring stern to. Boats are made to take waves on the bow, making them take them from the stern is just asking for getting swamped

Getting swamped is a pretty low risk in a mooring field or in any harbour where mooring or anchoring is practical.

However stern-to may be unpleasant from other aspects... boats with flat counter will be noisy as wind driven ripples and waves 'chuckle' under the counter - and esp with todays' aft cabin boats that can be annoying. The breeze is going to get 'scooped' below by the dodger rather than acting as a windbreak - maybe a good thing in the tropics, not so much shoulder season in the PNW....

hallucination 02-13-2013 06:10 PM

Happy boat!

I suspect that throwing a drogue is the easy button. that being said, a riding sail of some sort will end up as the solution.

I was out in a Bavaria 40 a few weeks ago, and experienced the same thing. My ~theory~ is that the hull is acting like an aerodynamic wing (yep, pilot in another life ). I suspect that both of the boats have similar profiles, both FARR designs. Plumb stern/bow, relatively flat hull under the water line, huge beam, limited cross section on the T-keel, coffee table rudder, and a rather large amount of real estate (sorry I don't know the term) from the water line to the deck. pictures abound of what I am talking about.

Needless to say, not a problem on an Island Packet....

of course "opinions and theories are like....everyone has one or two..."