Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013

hallucination is on a distinguished road
my boat dances on a ball

Apparently my 46 Vision from Bavaria has a bad habit. She like to dance around on moorings.Not sure exactly what the deal is but she comes up on the ball. (long story, bought boat, put her in charter, so popular it's hard for me to get time). I'll be one her in two weeks.

Apparently running port/starboard line through pennant has been tried. setting helm hard port/starboard has been tried. Currently thinking a drogue , sea anchor.

any thoughts? I know, just run the engine all night and have it in a gentle reverse
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: my boat dances on a ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallucination View Post
Apparently my 46 Vision from Bavaria has a bad habit. She like to dance around on moorings.Not sure exactly what the deal is but she comes up on the ball. (long story, bought boat, put her in charter, so popular it's hard for me to get time). I'll be one her in two weeks.

Apparently running port/starboard line through pennant has been tried. setting helm hard port/starboard has been tried. Currently thinking a drogue , sea anchor.

any thoughts? I know, just run the engine all night and have it in a gentle reverse
Buy or make yourself a riding sail. Take a look at (Click on) the Fin Delta by Banner Bay

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-13-2013

Quester is on a distinguished road

Stern-to. Center of pressure (wind) will be farther "aft" (the new aft - bow of the boat which is now the end away from the bouy) causing things to steady out. Has worked well for me but I've never done it longer than overnight.

Obviously this won't always be a good idea even if it works, considering how the mooring line will ride off the stern, weather, idiots in the moorage freaked out by a boat moored facing downwind, etc.
Old 02-13-2013

luck66 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your boat is happy. You could try a riding sail, which would make her more happy.
Old 02-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I think those are your two options... either a riding sail or mooring stern-to. Boats that 'sail' on the hook or the mooring can be a challenge...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-13-2013

I have thought about that. problem is she is a single backstay with a mast roller furl. I don't know if I have a spare halyard run. Probably don't want to drop the topping lift. Plus it has a VERY abundant Bimini.

I could rig a pulley up the backstay ~10 feet up if it turns out to be the only solution.
Old 02-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

My old Islander use to love to sail back and forth. Scared the crap out of anyone anchored near us.

Cheap small Triangle of sail ( ours was 4 Fft along the back stay, 6 feet the other leggs= 12 cu ft) with gromets on the three corners. One attached to a cleat on the single backstay above the bimini. One attachment point to the Boom. Sail pulled upright by final attachent point by the main halyard clipped thorugh the gromet . Since we always unclipped ours when anchored or moored it was available.

Our C&C is rock steady at anchor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

interesting. If she were a full keel boat, I would say she was dancing with the current and not the wind. As a fin keel.. I am not so sure.

I would never tie up to a mooring stern to. Boats are made to take waves on the bow, making them take them from the stern is just asking for getting swamped

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 02-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
...I would never tie up to a mooring stern to. Boats are made to take waves on the bow, making them take them from the stern is just asking for getting swamped
Getting swamped is a pretty low risk in a mooring field or in any harbour where mooring or anchoring is practical.

However stern-to may be unpleasant from other aspects... boats with flat counter will be noisy as wind driven ripples and waves 'chuckle' under the counter - and esp with todays' aft cabin boats that can be annoying. The breeze is going to get 'scooped' below by the dodger rather than acting as a windbreak - maybe a good thing in the tropics, not so much shoulder season in the PNW....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-13-2013

Happy boat!

I suspect that throwing a drogue is the easy button. that being said, a riding sail of some sort will end up as the solution.

I was out in a Bavaria 40 a few weeks ago, and experienced the same thing. My ~theory~ is that the hull is acting like an aerodynamic wing (yep, pilot in another life ). I suspect that both of the boats have similar profiles, both FARR designs. Plumb stern/bow, relatively flat hull under the water line, huge beam, limited cross section on the T-keel, coffee table rudder, and a rather large amount of real estate (sorry I don't know the term) from the water line to the deck. pictures abound of what I am talking about.

Needless to say, not a problem on an Island Packet....

of course "opinions and theories are like....everyone has one or two..."