Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric hybrid Inboard Vs Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
Have to make sure all gaskets and hoses are synthetic as the bio will dissolve them.
I have to make sure they are synthetic or are not synthetic and is that on the tank etc or the whole motor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

A Honda 2kw will actually probably not give you 3kts or so.
It's rated for 1.3kw continuous, which is in the range of only 1 hp, and there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Unfortunately hybrid just isn't ready for long term cruising yet, and simply isn't cost effective (certainly not on a 1969 boat).
Old 02-15-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
A Honda 2kw will actually probably not give you 3kts or so.
It's rated for 1.3kw continuous, which is in the range of only 1 hp, and there is no such thing as a free lunch.
I'm basing that estimate off what people are seeing in the field: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG

A 28ft boat would probably re-power along the lines of a 6kw electric drive. 1.3kw continuous will drive a 28ft boat faster than you'd think. Power requirements for each knot of speed go up exponentially. It actually takes very little power to scoot along at 2 or 3 knots.
Old 02-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
I'm basing that estimate off what people are seeing in the field: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG

A 28ft boat would probably re-power along the lines of a 6kw electric drive. 1.3kw continuous will drive a 28ft boat faster than you'd think. Power requirements for each knot of speed go up exponentially. It actually takes very little power to scoot along at 2 or 3 knots.
Prop's that are designed for the low speed high torque you can get from electric are more efficient, that helps.

I have a 44 pound thrust trolling motor that I used last summer on my friends Coronado 25. It used 40 ah at full speed, 12v = 480w
Full speed was a GPS measured 2.3kts on flat water, reduced to 1kt away from the pier.
Hey, it got us sailing but that's about it.

The problem here is that in order to recharge that battery and keep up he would have needed a 40 amp charger - I've got a 38 footer with a 20amp, think many 25's have a 40?
Old 02-15-2013

Well a 40 amp charger, especially one that likes the charge the gennie puts out, would need to be installed. As would a 48v(or whatever) battery system. And a way to charge both the 48v/12v system on the boat. And battery monitors. And you need to consider the safety of a 2kw gas generator that'll be spewing out exhaust. And then live with the power constants of the system. If it was perfect we'd all be using it.

But I also notice people tend to give petrol systems a pass on a lot of their flaws, because they're used to them. Filtering fuel, polishing fuel, getting "bad" fuel, constant maintenance, holes in your boat for water in/out, zincs to prevent heat exchanger rust, rough seas causing gunk in the tank to free up and jam the fuel system and killing the engine(probably when you need it most), little rubber impellers that fail all the time, water intake clogging up, busted ring seals causing blue smoke out the exhaust, the noise, the smell, crap torque on the low end, no regeneration under sail, you can't lift the engine out by hand, etc etc.

If someone was coming from the electric side and was used to the aux engine range limits, they'd probably think of the idea of re-powering with diesel as laughable.
Old 02-15-2013

glassdad is on a distinguished road

Another thing to remember is battery storage. The Columbia 28 does not have a lot of battery storage space. Where are you going to put the larger, heavier batteries? Where are you putting the generator? What will all this additional weight do to the sailing abilities of the boat?

Instead of a complete redesign, just do an overhaul of the A-4 or install a small diesel.
Old 02-15-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I have a fleet of state of the art 48 volt (which means the batteries are inverted to produce AC for the drive motor) standup reach trucks and if you think that’s NOT the most complex thing on the planet I do not know what to say ?

Other than that are propane units have far lower care requirements needs and you have not spent much time keeping doing the care required to keep heavily used battery’s alive

My A4 is a good bit simpler than my riding lawn mower and if you can’t keep one running your surly going to have difficulty keeping up with a complex electric system in saltwater

End of ramble

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2013

@glassdad The weight you get from the engine plus fuel tank is what's replaced by the electric engine and batteries. A Thoosa 9000 weighs about 45lbs, so it's really just battery weight.

@tommays The system is far less complex than you're making it out to be. After 5 years of use, here's the first real maintenance that one owner has had to do: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: EASY ELECTRIC BOAT MAINTENANCE PART ONE: REMOVING THE MOTOR

From his blog, his Honda generator has been more maintenance than anything else.
Old 02-15-2013

Lauderboy,

Not to shoot the messenger, but I call foul.
The Thoosa 9000 is 7,790 bucks
The 4 8d Agm's he has to power it (for 48v A 200 ah) are 500 bucks each.
That's 10 grand with DIY installation.
That doesn't even include the charging system, another grand for the Honda.

All that for 4 hours of motor time?
No comparison, and doesn't meet the needs of a cruiser.

It's not even cost effective to operate, he'll need to replace that 2000 dollar bank long before I've spent 2k in fuel.
Capnblu likes this.
Old 02-15-2013

Initial cost is absolutely higher. Especially if you can re-power with a rebuilt Yanmar and run a DIY install on that. On the battery costs, you're leaving out diesel maintenance. It's not just fuel expense there. Diesel engine service 3 years back was $450 for me and my last one was a nice $700 day job.

As for "needs of a cruiser", you can't speak for all cruisers in that. It's obviously meeting the needs of the owner of Bianka.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.