Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Seasick medication

Stugeron is very effective for most people. 75mg is probably overkill. I buy 25mg pills and I've found that taking one a day for the first 3 days at sea is ideal.
Old 02-14-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Keep your eyes peeled for a new inhaler that will be coming out hopefully in the next year or so. The US Air Force has developed a new sea sickness medication for its pilots. It is supposed to work very rapidly; so as not have to take a couple hours prior.
During flight training it is quite common for students to get motion sickness. They have to learn how to deal with it without medication.
Also:
Quote:
Sam Puma went to high school during the 50's when America was beginning it's space program. Sam dreamed of becoming an astonaut. His father wanted him to be a doctor. After graduating from Hahnemann Medical School he joined the Air Force and successfully combined the two pursuits, first as a flight surgeon for NASA and later as a jet fighter pilot. Then it happened - the necessity. The T33 training jet Sam was in didn't have airsickness bags. After a series of maneuvers, Sam desperately needed one. Out of necessity, Sam filled one of his gloves. The other pilots had their laughs, but Sam wasn't going to give up his passion for flight because of motion sickness. Again, out of necessity, Sam developed what is now called the Puma Method, a series of conditioning exercises which raise a person's tolerance level to motion sickness-producing activities.
or Air Force Study on Air sickness
http://afspp.afms.mil/idc/groups/pub...ctb_100059.pdf
outbound likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Salivex is a med that has THC as its antiemetic which is why I wasn't crazy about it.
And all this time I thought I was immune to seasickness, I was just pre-medicated.
hallucination likes this.
Old 02-14-2013
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

I assume you meant she would get less drug. The release rate is going to be the same per patch surface area applied to skin. The half life is less than 5 hrs so getting the full affect would take about a day. Elimination half life is about 10hrs.
Old 02-14-2013
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

NEVER CUT A MEDICATION PATCH IN HALF.

It negates the timed released effects and dumps all the drug on your skin in one dose. Read the directions people!

From the box: DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

Initiation of Therapy: To prevent the nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness, one Transderm Scōp patch (programmed to deliver approximately 1.0 mg of scopolamine over 3 days) should be applied to the hairless area behind one ear at least 4 hours before the antiemetic effect is required. To prevent post operative nausea and vomiting, the patch should be applied the evening before scheduled surgery. To minimize exposure of the newborn baby to the drug, apply the patch one hour prior to cesarean section. Only one patch should be worn at any time. Do not cut the patch.
MedSailor and msmith10 like this.

Last edited by IronSpinnaker; 02-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2013
Go Cowboys

I think the patch is continuous release so cutting it would not change the release rate of the drug much if at all.
Old 02-14-2013
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Well do what you want... it is only scopolamine right? It's only common uses are to treat motion sickness and as a Drug of Choice in End of life Care.

Completely harmless to use it off label
Old 02-14-2013
Go Cowboys

I'm not advocating any use of any medication. I was only clarifying.
Old 02-14-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

any of you folks ever get land sick. once did a transport from southwest harbor maine to duxbury ( ended up in situate). got stuck in a storm. trip ended up taking a week ( blew out sails). did not get sick during trip but first night home couldn't lie down in bed without the worse vertigo. exhausted and couldn't sleep cause everytime I closed my eyes felt the world sway and spin. totally miserable experience.
Don't know about details of scop patch but do know engineering of transdermal med patches vary greatly in construction. some are drug in matrix wth semipermiable membranes against skin and delievery rate is dependent on intact patch with membrane totally encasing the drug matrix. would suggest look in PDR before cutting one in half.
Airforce article was of interest. Tx B sailor. most of us don't have access to a Barany chair. Wonder if doing repetitive Dix Hallpike manuvers would do the same thing or the exercises they use in vestibular rehab such as habituation exercises. Knew a lady sailor who believed getting drunk then sleeping on the boat the night before leaving on a passage prevented seasickness. Never tried it. She wasn't that cute and I'm married.

Last edited by outbound; 02-14-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2013

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
I tried the patch. I'll never use it again. It made me hallucinate. I now just use a little Bonine sometimes if needed. It doesn't put me to sleep like Dramamine.