Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road
Re: Seasick medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowe View Post
I can't rule out a placebo effect...
The nice thing about Placebo is it's cheap to produce, highly effective, and all the side effects are imaginary.
Old 02-15-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Of course there is the century's old remedy.

RUM!

If you still care about your seasickness, you haven't yet reached a therapeutic dose.

MedSailor
kellysails and IronSpinnaker like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
I also use Ginger root with good effect. I find that eating something light when you start to feel sick helps. I drink Gatoraid when in rough seas. I try and stay out of the head, because the enclosed space does me in every time. Keep your eyes on the Horizon if possible.

I have popped an IV in my wife before and gave her IV phenergan, the combination of the antiemetic and a liter of L-Ringer is highly effective, but you need a RX for home IV therapy and somebody who is licensed to administer it.
Phenegran suppositories (in all seriousness) are a more accessible option for most than an IV setup. Also, IV therapy, if done wrong, can lead to endocarditis and other nasty things.

Since phenegran and caffeine were shown to work better than anything else for the patient that is already sick, you could do well with some caffeine gum and phenegran suppositories in your kit.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-15-2013
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Phenegran suppositories (in all seriousness) are a more accessible option for most than an IV setup. Also, IV therapy, if done wrong, can lead to endocarditis and other nasty things.

Since phenegran and caffeine were shown to work better than anything else for the patient that is already sick, you could do well with some caffeine gum and phenegran suppositories in your kit.

MedSailor
Don't forget the lube

Yes most people can not get access to IV Therapy and even though I place IVs and administer IV drugs every day at work... Her physician made me go in and demonstrate that I had the skills... and verified my license first.

Reminds me of an episode of Doomsday Preppers, where one guy was stock piling outdated medical supplies including IV caths and bags of fluids... On the show he demonstrated placing the IV in his wife and giving her "life saving fluid" He completely missed the vein and was running fluids into her interstitial tissue...
Old 02-15-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My wife uses the band and finds it gives immediate relief. I can't rule out a placebo effect, but it is a FDA approved device for post-operative nausea. It is very annoying that the band no longer is available with replaceable batteries - the new units have a shelf life of less than a year, and so if you aren't in rough or rolling water a lot it is a heavy price to pay.
This Reletex Corporation really pisses me off. They could have easily created a version that allows you to change out the battery, but no. Greedy bastards. Whenever I get into a really foul mood I like to send them nasty grams. I think they have my email blocked now. While I'm thinking about it, it's time for another email.
sparrowe and IronSpinnaker like this.
Old 02-15-2013

sparrowe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
This Reletex Corporation really pisses me off. They could have easily created a version that allows you to change out the battery, but no. Greedy bastards. Whenever I get into a really foul mood I like to send them nasty grams. I think they have my email blocked now. While I'm thinking about it, it's time for another email.
Love it! I'll join you in the fun!
Old 02-15-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Love it! I'll join you in the fun!
Mistakenly I referenced their distributor. The company that manufacturers the product is Home Ľ Neurowave Medical Technologies

They have a contact us page.
Old 02-15-2013
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road

My Wife uses the non-electric pressure point elastic wrist bands with 100% success for daysailing, even if she forgets to put them on at dockside and puts them on after feeling the first symptoms of mal de mer.
Old 02-16-2013
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
NO NO NO NO NO! This is a very dangerous thing you are playing with here. Don't cut the patch, not even for an experiment, and if you must, then please wear gloves so you don't give yourself a toxic dose.

Using the words "only 1mg of drug" is very VERY concerning to me. You know not what you are doing here. Prescription, and other drugs, are not all equal in their effects at the same number of milligrams. 1mg of tylenol is ineffective, whereas 1mg of thyroid medication will give a heart attack to a healthy person.

1mg of scopalamine, delivered over 1hr with a cut patch is not "just 1 mg" it is 72 times the recommended dose. That could be fatal. If I were having this conversation in my office I would tear up the scopalamine prescription and call the patient's pharmacy and cancel all their other scopalmamine prescriptions.

Please be safe. These medications are safe and effective when taken as directed and dangerous or deadly when abused.

MedSailor

PS Why do you want to decrease the dose so badly? In the article I referenced above they mentioned that it looked like the times scopalamine didn't work were the times when not enough was given. If you really want to tinker with the dose, get the pill or injectable form of scopalamine and take a lesser dose that way.
I don't want to cut the dose because I don't get seasick. I'm merely curious and I'm a physician. I've prescribed the patch but never used it. I've been busy so I haven't cut a patch yet but I will try and get some today. And I've already stated in this thread that I'm not advocating taking any medications much less scopolamine in any form. We're only having a discussion here.

If you're a physician, too, then you know there are idiosyncratic reactions to even small doses of scopolamine with instances of psychosis lasting days. I'm very aware of anticholinergic syndrome as well but again I'm not advocating anything. Patients should not get their medical advice on internet forums but from their physician.
Old 02-16-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
Well maybe it is the placebo effect. All I know is that while sailing in Greece in following 4m seas (as a result of a Meltimi) my wife never batted an eye. This was a six hour run. That run made me green and I never feel the effects of seasickness. 1m waves used to turn her green prior to the wrist solution.
I had a friend who experienced a "reverse placebo effect" with one of those pressure bands for motion sickness. We were in flight training, and he was getting sick, so he tried this band. He put it on in the locker room and said he was nauseated before he reached the door. He ripped it off and threw it away.

My own experience was with the scope patch. We were in the "dogfighting" stage of training (I was in the back seat,) and I was getting really, seriously sick. The flight surgeon gave me a patch, and the next dogfight was like sitting on a park bench. I was rock solid. But on a later flight I could barely stay awake, and I think I also saw some cartoon characters at one point. So..., mixed results.