Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Seasick medication

At $99 for that plastic piece of junk I don't know if I would exactly snap it up. Wait until you get it. It looks like it was made I the same factory in china that makes carnival prizes. Very cheap.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013

sparrowe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
At $99 for that plastic piece of junk I don't know if I would exactly snap it up. Wait until you get it. It looks like it was made I the same factory in china that makes carnival prizes. Very cheap.
Hey -easy there! I like my Made in China carnival prizes! And my gold solar-powered prayer wheel with sparkling little jewels that spins on the dashboard of my car!

Seriously, the Neurowave is cheap plastic at $150 or so, and the batteries died in a few months. The original Relief band was the same cheap plastic at $150 or so, except it was blue rather than white, but the batteries could be replaced. It is hard for me to imagine the ComfortQuest being any worse. But that's why I bought two - just in case.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that all three come from China. Besides, the Chinese excel at making good quality stuff inexpensively if given a good design and decent specifications. My Apple gear, my Sony RX-100 camera and its waterproof case, my Tivoli radios, my oppo blueray, the Lehr outboard on the back of our boat, and all kinds of other cool stuff came from there.

What matters to me - and why I would willingly plop down $100 for a "plastic piece of junk" - is that it is the only thing that works for my spouse. She's highly sensitive to wave motion - even too many wakes on the local lake where we sail make her queasy. A few minutes with the wrist band and she is fine. She loves being on the boat, is a better sailor than I am, and is damned fine company. I'm incredibly lucky to be married to someone who wants to be on the water as much or more than I do. She doesn't gripe when I want to buy new stuff for the boat. So, the choice is simple. If she told me a $3000 Chanel purse would cure her nausea, I'd be at Nordstroms with my AMEX card in a heartbeat.

If the Comforquest proves to be junk, I'll let you know.
arf145 and jimgo like this.

Last edited by sparrowe; 07-07-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2013
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road

i read an article by a woman in ireland who could not get a patch. she asked an old fisherman what to use. he said he took a wad of chewing tobacco & put it in one ear so he didn't get seasick. she tried one of the foam earplugs in one ear and it worked. i never tried it because i don't get seasick. i guess it's worth a try for someone who would rather do that than use a patch. if it works for you, let everyone know about it.
Old 07-07-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Believe NASA came up with the one earplug. Meclizine works even after emesis. Available as suppositories. Have used it on crew with benefit.
Old 07-07-2013

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, sorry it may have sounded like that. If it works for your wife get two. I've got one and it was more than $100. I just don't think the build quality is good. I thought it felt like it should be $15.
Old 07-08-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowe View Post
But there is a fly in this ointment: On June 24, Neurowave filed a lawsuit against ComfortQuest alleging patent infringement. The details are quite interesting; apparently the former Director of Operations at Neurowave and its predecessor company, a Thomas Mann, is a director or officer of ComfortQuest. A Joseph Norris, also alleged to be a director or officer of ComfortQuest, was a sales rep for Neurowave. I gleaned this information from the complaint which you can read here:

http://www.knobbemedical.com/wp-cont...omplaint12.pdf
That complaint is very interesting. Quote, "Since December 2012, when it became apparent that a new CPT code would not be granted for the RX devices, Neurowave has been planning for re-entry of its OTC Devices into the market."

Translation: Ooops! We can't get a CPT code that allows us to charge obscene prices to the insurance companies, so our ridiculously profitable marketing plan has just been shot to pieces. Well, we'll just have to see what we can salvage by going OTC.

Speculation: While Neurowave went after the big bucks, a couple of employees saw a retail niche to be filled. Now that Neurowave's plans have stumbled, they don't want the competition for retail. It will be interesting see if the new guys have the money to fight and if Neurowave's patents stand up in court.

As for being a "plastic piece of junk", absolutely, but...
I don't want to medicate every time I go out because I don't usually have a problem and I have had issues with side effects. But every now and then the swell and the circumstances combineÖ and it's too late to take drugs. So I carry one of the old replaceable battery Relief Bands and that takes the edge off - maybe placebo but I don't care as long as it works. I agree that itís not very robust and I have been wondering what to do when mine finally dies - I would gladly pay a higher price for decent quality equivalent.

BTW, as of a week ago, at least one West Marine was selling the ComfortQuest next to the register. First time I knew it existed. There is also one other alternative, i-Trans DM-800 for about $40 and it uses a AAA battery but itís bulky and I think itís only available in teal green. Iíve never tried it.
Old 07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Meclizine works even after emesis. Available as suppositories. Have used it on crew with benefit.
A world of caution to anyone reading this.

Meclizine is a good antiemetic but no medication works for everyone.
It is much more effective if taken prophylactically.
Meclizine is an antihistamine. It is generally well tolerated but can have side effects and drug interactions, including some not usually considered. I know this from personal experience.
Antiemetic suppositories can be a lifesaver but there are reasons that they are RX Ė they should only be used when medically needed.

O.K. Iíll get off my soapbox now.
Old 07-08-2013

I think it goes without saying to take it prophilactically. You don't think we're swallowing those do you?

First think I do when I wake up is keester a bottle of meclizine. Oral medicine is so 1990's.
Old 07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I think it goes without saying to take it prophilactically. You don't think we're swallowing those do you?

First think I do when I wake up is keester a bottle of meclizine. Oral medicine is so 1990's.
Ooops! You completely misunderstood. I don't think you know the meaning of "prophylactically" - Commonly preventive (as opposed to curative).

"Prophyactic. Adj. "Acting to defend against or prevent something, especially disease; protective. Prophylactically Adv."

So orally before you set off would be prophylactic and anally when you are desperate would be curative or kinky, depending on your point of view
Old 07-08-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
A world of caution to anyone reading this.

Meclizine is a good antiemetic but no medication works for everyone.
It is much more effective if taken prophylactically.
Meclizine is an antihistamine. It is generally well tolerated but can have side effects and drug interactions, including some not usually considered. I know this from personal experience.
Antiemetic suppositories can be a lifesaver but there are reasons that they are RX Ė they should only be used when medically needed.

O.K. Iíll get off my soapbox now.

All true. Try on dry land before you go.

Also, don't forget that suppositories are designed to melt in your.... um.... not in your hand. So if you're sailing in warm climes you have to think about where to store them. Preferably somewhere cool and away from direct light.... like where the sun don't shine?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.