Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013

skarasin is on a distinguished road
slips in Grand Haven

I have a Catalina 30 and I'm trying to decide where to keep my boat this summer. I was on Lake Macatawa last summer but wasn't completely satisfied. I'd ideally like to find a marina with floating docks as the low water levels make the fixed docks a challenge getting the kids on and off the boat. Are there any options in Grand Haven, or will I need to go up to Muskegon to find a slip? Thanks for any recommendations !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: slips in Grand Haven

I believe North Shore in Grand Haven has some Floating and also some fixed.

Which Marina were you at on Lake Mac?
You might want to check with you marina and see if they can lower your dock.
If you were happy there and the only down side was the fixed dock, tell them you are taking your business elsewhere unless they lower your dock.
I am at Eldean's, we love it there. Our dock always required the use of a ladder and it was bearable for the first 5 years as it was only a rung or two down.
At the end of last year it became dangerous as we had to climb down three or four rungs to board the boat. They lowered our dock Three Feet this off season and we now believe we will be able to step right on board. Of course, they can't get to everybody.
You might ask your marina if it is possible.

ALSO, consider that Lake Macatawa and most of the marinas are deep water. We still have over 13.5 feet in our slip. Not sure you will find the same water depth on the Grand River.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-15-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

We were at North Shore Marina in Grand Haven for 5 years and then moved north to Muskegon last year. D-Dock at North Shore is all floaters, but the basin is very shallow in general (~3-5') so draft can become an issue. Friends we know who remained at North Shore last year said there were no plans to dredge the basin anytime soon, but maybe that will change with the continued falling water level.

The best part about North Shore is its' close proximity to Lake Michigan...you can literally be sailing on the big lake in about 10 minutes from leaving the dock.

The municipal marina GH also has some floaters, but obviously those aren't available for seasonal rental (transient only).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2013

skarasin is on a distinguished road
slips in Grand Haven

Thank you both for the information, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I was at Yacht Basin last season, and while I was pleased with most other aspects of the marina, the height of the docks got to be a problem last season. The lengthy trip to open water wasn't ideal either. I had spent the previous 5 summers in Milwaukee (my first 5 years of boating), and my first season on this side of the lake left me missing the facilities at McKinley Marina.

Grand Haven would be the ideal location for me, but everything I've heard thus far tell me it's not conducive to sailboats, and it sounds like you're both confirming that. My C30 has the shoal draft keel, but I'd still be nervous going in and out of the 3-5 feet of water at North Shore. I'm strongly leaning toward Muskegon at this point. Thanks again, and happy sailing this season!
Old 02-17-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Before you commit to Muskegon or Grand Haven, be sure to stop by and talk with Wads at Eldean's.

If facilities are high on your priority list, I guarantee you that will will not find anything finer anywhere on the Great Lakes. It is a private marina that has the feel of a yacht club.

Plus its proximity to the big lake can not be beat. (Just be careful during a west wind)

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White