Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013
Seaward 26rk

strandedsooner is on a distinguished road
Re: Ideas and/or guidance

Well I am very intrigued by the idea of having a boat in Florida that I put on the hard in between cruises. I am also going to explore having a charter boat somewhere in the Carib and try to do a couple multiple week cruises a year. I know the wear and tear factor might be high but it still appeals to me. I could spend longer and longer periods of time cruising and make sure its the right fit and have the boat already in prime cruising grounds. Also would have 4 or so years to save up even more money for a more extended cruise. Then would have a boat I could take to Florida for a refit and then cruise or sell and find a diff boat .

I am setting up a bareboat cruise for the BVI in April right now and possibly one in either Florida in June or San Juans in WA for August. Also going to try to do some overnights on the hook this summer on my boat in Kansas. I've got a little money saved and will definitely be doing something either buying a second boat for FL or a BVI charter boat in the next year.

On another note...Does anyone know anything about MarineMax vacations charters on Tortola? Their Dufour yachts look very nice and I have seen some good online reviews. Curious if anyone knows anything about them or the Dufour grand large yachts they charter.

Thanks again for all the great responses,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedsooner View Post
On another note...Does anyone know anything about MarineMax vacations charters on Tortola? Their Dufour yachts look very nice and I have seen some good online reviews. Curious if anyone knows anything about them or the Dufour grand large yachts they charter.

Thanks again for all the great responses,

Eric
Oddly enough I have never heard of MarineMax charters in the BVI. I have chartered there five times. Are they new? I would have remembered their boat logo's if I had ever seen them before. Very distinctive.

There are a pile of charter companies to choose from, make sure you shop. I love Conch Charters but many folks don't like them because the boats are a tad older. I always bring my own roll of duct tape Good folks own and run the place and their prices can't be beat. Opinions on charter companies are quite varied and vast and there is a surprising level of passion from people for their favorite operations.

Sounds like you have a beginning of a plan, good for you!
Old 02-20-2013

sparrowe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedsooner View Post

I am setting up a bareboat cruise for the BVI in April right now and possibly one in either Florida in June or San Juans in WA for August.

Eric
Eric, a few quick thoughts about the San Juans. We chartered for two weeks in June of 2012 out of Bellingham. Overall, it was a terrific experience. Next time we go, we will charter from San Juan Sailing - probably one of their Tartans (they offer a 34, a 35 and a 37). We were in a slip next to their Jeanneau 34 at the Rosario Resort and it was in much nicer condition than the Islander 32 we had chartered from the competition. (I haven't enough posts to include a link; google San Juan Sailing and they will come up.)

If you haven't sailed the San Juans, be prepared for some interesting challenges. The tides and currents are not to be treated lightly - they determine where, when and what direction you can travel. A copy of the "Canadian Current Atlas" of currents and tides for the area is essential, as is the concordance that tells you which chart to consult given the time and date. Ask if copies are on the boat when you arrange you charter. Also necessary are up-to-date charts, in detail, as there are numerous rocks that lurk just under the surface. Although I expect the charter boats have chartplotters, you need paper as a backup. Finally, I found Active Captain, mapping on to the Navimatics U.S. West Charts and Tides app to be really useful.

(To see what the currents can be like, go to YouTube and search for "Sailboat struggling Deception Pass" then watch as the boat goes against the flow, gives up, and sleds back the other way.)

One of the great things about sailing in the San Juans is that you can alternate between harbors and anchoring or mooring. In one week, for example, we moored at Sucia Island, had a slip at Roche Island, anchored in English Bay, rafted to another boat at Jones Island (where raccoons snuck into our boat while we were sleeping!), had a slip at Friday Harbor, and anchored at Inati Cove. I suppose the BVIs are similar; but, for us, it was a novel and very enjoyable experience after sailing day after day from the same slip in Belmont Harbor in Chicago.

You can fly in to Seattle and arrange a bus to Bellingham (or, you can take a short flight into Bellingham from Seattle). Rather than a taxi, we arranged with Evergreen Town Car Service to meet us at the Bellingham airport (that's where the shuttle bus from SEA-TAC stops). They schlepped us over to Fred Meyers grocery to provision, and then down to the marina. Same service on the return leg - and reasonably priced.

Let me know if you want more details - or, post a general request on Sailnet. I think there are a number of folks based in the area.
Old 02-20-2013
Seaward 26rk

strandedsooner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowe View Post
Eric, a few quick thoughts about the San Juans. We chartered for two weeks in June of 2012 out of Bellingham. Overall, it was a terrific experience. Next time we go, we will charter from San Juan Sailing - probably one of their Tartans (they offer a 34, a 35 and a 37). We were in a slip next to their Jeanneau 34 at the Rosario Resort and it was in much nicer condition than the Islander 32 we had chartered from the competition. (I haven't enough posts to include a link; google San Juan Sailing and they will come up.)

If you haven't sailed the San Juans, be prepared for some interesting challenges. The tides and currents are not to be treated lightly - they determine where, when and what direction you can travel. A copy of the "Canadian Current Atlas" of currents and tides for the area is essential, as is the concordance that tells you which chart to consult given the time and date. Ask if copies are on the boat when you arrange you charter. Also necessary are up-to-date charts, in detail, as there are numerous rocks that lurk just under the surface. Although I expect the charter boats have chartplotters, you need paper as a backup. Finally, I found Active Captain, mapping on to the Navimatics U.S. West Charts and Tides app to be really useful.

(To see what the currents can be like, go to YouTube and search for "Sailboat struggling Deception Pass" then watch as the boat goes against the flow, gives up, and sleds back the other way.)

One of the great things about sailing in the San Juans is that you can alternate between harbors and anchoring or mooring. In one week, for example, we moored at Sucia Island, had a slip at Roche Island, anchored in English Bay, rafted to another boat at Jones Island (where raccoons snuck into our boat while we were sleeping!), had a slip at Friday Harbor, and anchored at Inati Cove. I suppose the BVIs are similar; but, for us, it was a novel and very enjoyable experience after sailing day after day from the same slip in Belmont Harbor in Chicago.

You can fly in to Seattle and arrange a bus to Bellingham (or, you can take a short flight into Bellingham from Seattle). Rather than a taxi, we arranged with Evergreen Town Car Service to meet us at the Bellingham airport (that's where the shuttle bus from SEA-TAC stops). They schlepped us over to Fred Meyers grocery to provision, and then down to the marina. Same service on the return leg - and reasonably priced.

Let me know if you want more details - or, post a general request on Sailnet. I think there are a number of folks based in the area.

I definitely realize that boating there is a completely different animal than an inland reservoir or even the BVI or San Diego Bay where we have sailed. I've spent quite a bit of time on Whidbey Island and have also visited the San Juans by ferry. The Deception Pass current is impressive to say the least. That video on youtube is hilarious. We went on a daysail charter from Orcas and got to feel the push of the current. Luckily if we do the trip it will be in tandem with a friend and local sailor on his boat. Thanks for the info