Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Re: What is so bad about a Porta Potti?

Personally, I find the Pett bag system better than pp's. Works well for #2 also.

The dumping and cleaning of pp's are disgusting IMHO. True, if #1 it's not so bad but I like to just walk down the pier and drop the bag in the closest trash can/dumpster.

Since there are very few pump outs in these parts and most trailer sailers find it hard to install a real toilet... we find the bag system the best alternative.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried the Round Hassock Toilet?
Old 02-17-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

We use our Catalina 309 for daysailing and the occasional weekend or 2 week trip. We took out the smelly, troublesome head that came with the boat and put in a porta potti. For the way we use our boat, the porta is superior to a head and holding tank in just about every way.

It's important that you use the chemicals in it, and empty it at least every two weeks. Smell is not an issue. Less than with the stock system.

Emptying is very easy with our Thetford brand porta. Just dump the lower portion of the porta into a toilet. There's a large pipe that swings out for emptying, making it clean and easy.

Anyone using the stock toilet on a 309 (a typical marine toilet), is going to be very sad when they or a guest takes a substantial dump. Hey, captain, have fun cleaning that up. The porta will take anything you throw at it.

Worst case scenario is that you have to dump it overboard when nobody's around. I hear fish bypass the porta and poop directly into the environment. Imagine that
Old 02-17-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

We have a Dometic PP on ours. With two adults and two children more than adequate for day and weekend sailing. No stink as I always use the chemicals with it (aqua kem green) - I actually quite like the smell of it. We use special toilet paper that will dissolve quickly in the holding tank. The tank is easily carried to the next public toilet and emptied out there. I find that cleaning is nowhere worse than that of a normal toilet at home.
Old 02-17-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

I second the Thetford, and that makes one less reason my wife has to say "no" to an extended day or two on the boat. We also will frequently have female crew and it's a whole lot better for them to use it than ye ol' bucket... that's a guy/racer thing.
Old 02-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

rh, maybe she's afraid you'll do a drug test. (G)

I suppose a bedpan would really traumatize her. Do you have a "real" seat on your bucket, or just a real bucket? Maybe something with a seat would pacify her? They do make snap-on lids for plain buckets, that have a real seat. Not very expensive, adds a little civilization.

Or you can line it with a plastic bag, throw in a handful of kitty litter (half to what you think you'll need) and absorb the pee. Then just pick it up and throw it out ashore, no washing needing, no pee to splash around.

Maybe if you just promise her that you won't do the drug test. (G)
Old 02-17-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

It really helps if the Porta-Potti can be used behind a door or curtain. Perhaps the girls shy away from using it in the open saloon.
Old 02-17-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

I remember one day after a lovely sail, sitting dockside, having a cold libation, waiting for the sunset. Then - five guys came down the dock, carrying their little briefcases full of - well, full of whatever they were full of.
Ruined the entire evening.
Sorry, but if you have to carry your bodily fluids about, carry them inside your body, not in a translucent 'briefcase' for all the world to see. A properly functioning head isn't all that big a deal to install and it simply reeks of civilization - and nothing else if you do the job right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-17-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

We have a PP that is plumbed for pump out. Only got the boat last fall and will be launching it in May so stay tuned for PP updates.
Old 02-18-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

We use a PP in our 25 footer. Mostly we go over the weekend. Two days is fine for 2 or 3 of us. Some trips are longer. It's a bit of a pain, but we'll take it out for 6 days at a time. We dump at a marina and once or twice, made sure we were out far enough and over the side. We use the biodegradable, non-toxic chemicals. Paper is not an issue. The effluence is a choco-slurry . . . no solids. Gross but good to know.

So . . . use the PP. Not a big deal and there when you need it.