Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: What is so bad about a Porta Potti?

OK boys and girls... enough of this potty talk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

When I remodeled I built a 5 gallon bucket into the head with a toilet seat over top of it. Then made a fastening system so the bag wouldnt fall in. At your local plumbing outlet they sell a product used to deal with the water in a toilet when replacing. It is a powder that absorbs the liquid and turns to gel. This works great for #1 and takes care of any odor for a few days. Sometimes I come back the next day to straighten up the boat if we were out late. If someone needs to #2 the bag removal and disposal is on them. it helps to have another 5 gallon bucket with a lid for a holding tank on that unfortunate day when someone needs it. When I was using a porta potty it didnt matter what I did. There was always a spill somewhere between the head and the dumping station. The bag just makes more sense for the day/weekend sailer. Drop it in the trash can at the ned of the pier.
Attached Thumbnails
What is so bad about a Porta Potti?-img-20120124-00301.jpg  
bljones likes this.
Old 02-19-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your input. I am anxiously awaiting the UPS guy (or girl) to deliver the goods.
Old 02-19-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

We are going to leave our marine head installed in case a subsequent owner finds value in it. But, this upcoming season we will be doing the wag bags fitted into the head. Hey, if the Pardeys can do it, so can we.

Sailing with Lin & Larry Pardey
Old 02-19-2013

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

The biggest challenge with a PP is capacity. Which is why larger boats have built in systems offering holding, pump out and overboard discharge and usually 10+ gallons. For lite use PPs are perfect and I used one for two years on my sailboat. They can get quite heavy when full so keep that in mind.

Also DO NOT get the type with the screw on cap on the bottom - these WILL leak. All the of the new ones have a solid bottom with a swiveling pipe to dump.

Heads are Heads and well ... they're nasty! There's no getting around it. :P :P :P
Old 02-19-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

The original post seemed to imply that a bucket is the same as a porta potti. Not. A bucket's a bucket. At least a PP hides the excrement in the chamber.

I'd have problems with a bucket, too (unless every other system on board failed). I had no problem with the PP on our 22 footer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-19-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

As somebody who has intestinal issues (crohnes disease) I would be unhappy with a bucket because I would be using several times a day (or a sail). They are also not as stable as a PP as they have nothing more than your weight holding them down to the deck.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 02-19-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I remember one day after a lovely sail, sitting dockside, having a cold libation, waiting for the sunset. Then - five guys came down the dock, carrying their little briefcases full of - well, full of whatever they were full of.
Ruined the entire evening.
Hey, we were coming into an anchorage in the Caribbean and motored by a hard chined steel boat that looked like it had taken a few laps around the marble. The old guy on board walked out onto the swim platform on the stern, dropped trow', bent his bum over the water, and unloaded the remains of his unholy french cooking into the sea.
Old 02-19-2013

Scallywag2 is on a distinguished road

One summer I placed the chemical powder for the PP in the holding tank. I did not realize that the powder drifted onto my shorts. After an afternoon of sailing and sweating, I looked down to see that the chemical powder mixed with perspiration and caused holes in the brand new shorts I was wearing. Moral--Use a liquid instead of a powder in the PP.

Dot and John
Old 02-19-2013

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road

From a more technical standpoint every porta potty I have ever seen is amusingly enough the same size as the ones they sell for training children, as in freaking uselessly tiny.

I'm actually super skinny so its not a matter of width, but unless your a girl the bowl is a tad small for both #1 and #2 to make it in at the same time without serious awkwardness.
Guys can't use it standing up either unless you want it splattered everywhere (look at studies on pee splatter from standing height some time).

Then there is the matter of the comically small opening on the bottom of the bowl with usually almost no taper to the bowl and the lack of any sort of real quantity in flushing power. A cross wise #2 of any size and you are quite literally S.O.L.

And all is assuming you have no issue with cleaning it out.

So I would say on anything too small to have a decent size fixed toilet with a pump out its just not worth it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.