Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving sailboat to Savannah from Seattle...

2913 miles. Long trip. I annually drive San Antonio to Rutland - 2100 miles Takes me 3 days, 2 nights, at the end of which I am whipped. Reading your notes it is clear you really want to drive the trip, and are just looking for justification/support. If you do, please get a long wheel base vehicle.

I strongly urge you to sit down and WRITE down on PAPER a decision tree of the options. Putting the choices down ON PAPER often makes thinking clearer. Include what you would do when problems arise in the trip, all courses.

It is often said on this and other forums that the worst thing one can do while sailing is to be committed to a calendar. I submit the same thing is true in this situation, that is to be committed to a rigid time frame. That way leads to cutting corners, pushing too hard, etc. Just a really bad idea.

Listen to the omens. If a trailer appears that is perfect for the trip, next door, for less than you anticipated, somebody is talking to you. By the same token, if no trailer is available, or has to be custom fabricated for twice what you expected, or won't be available until three days later than you need, listen up.

Making the trip with your son is admirable - if he can drive. If so be sure to get an extended/crew cab, so one can snooze stretched out in the back seat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongreerps View Post
2913 miles. Long trip. I annually drive San Antonio to Rutland - 2100 miles Takes me 3 days, 2 nights, at the end of which I am whipped. Reading your notes it is clear you really want to drive the trip, and are just looking for justification/support. If you do, please get a long wheel base vehicle.

Making the trip with your son is admirable - if he can drive. If so be sure to get an extended/crew cab, so one can snooze stretched out in the back seat.
Yes 3000 miles was the trip last time... depends on whether we stay along the highway or veer off some for looksie side trips... but not this time... straight shot to Savannah... son drives (21 years old and very good driver... so far )... I am determined to do this but based on the availability of the trailer in time to do this... my son's Spring Break is second week of March so that is my time frame to get this done... if not the boat will sit till end of June when my wife and I can come up with the trailer/truck and move it down... don't want to do that so I'm scrambling now to get the custom trailer made this week... should be a trailer already on hand and just need to add the adjustable pads... anything else I'm missing besides it being a dual axle trailer capable of 8,000 lbs or more? Support is what I need... never towed this much weight... but having the time to be with the son makes this all worth the effort.
Old 02-17-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

My best advice would be to limit the hours you drive each day to around 10. More than that and you will make mistakes. Take your time, check out some sites along the way and enjoy the trip.
I have a place on Ladies Island in SC. I will be there most of march. Will be moving there in a few years. It will be spring there then. Savannah's waterfront is beautiful.
FWIW I had my current sailboat shipped from San Diego to CT. The trip took the driver 8 days.
Jim
Old 02-18-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

We have an older F450 (2002) that we use to tow a a fifth-wheel trailer and a large power boat, and some of our sailboats. Despite the big, older 7.3 liter engine, I still get not-too-awful fuel mileage of around 9 mpg or occasionally better when towing (taking it easy and not in a rush).

One idea might be finding a power boat trailer of adequate beefiness and getting a welding shop to customize it into a sailboat trailer ... add keel pad, side supports, guides, maybe a ladder on the side, etc. and there you have a nice sailboat trailer.

If you'll be taking the southern route, give me a message and we'll keep an eye out for you passing through Arizona and New Mexico.

I assume you'll have something like AAA plus RV, Boat US trailer towing coverage, etc., just in case.
Old 02-18-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

If you can afford the extra cost, the diesel powered trucks provide much more torque that the comparable gasoline engines. (better for towing)