On my way back to Baltimore now waiting for my flight. This trip did not work out. The boat is not in a sounded condition and is unsafe to sail from the keys to Galveston. This is my first time I have backed out for my crewing job.
The owner who I have not met was a nice guy to deal with but has very little experience in sailing, may be under the wrong advices. Problems I discovered after I arrived.
1. Engine problems, major.
2. Charging problem and very old batteries both the house and starting battery.
3. Charging and unload voltage are odd
4. Main sail can't reef.a
5. Genset burnt out
6. Radiator leaks
7. All belts were loose, but oveyrnite we fixed.
8. Gallery stove was not working.
9. Hot water was not available.
After a shower at the marina, and a serious consideration for an hour while laying on my berth , i decided to bail in the morning. Texted my wife to explore my flight option.
Early morning, engine finally broke and motor oil was everywhere. And the hired captain grounded the boat. It was my time to jump off the boat.
Just like every crewing I have done, I always learn something.