Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Rhumb line between Key West and Galveston, TX

Probably just me, but I'd want to know what sort of boat we're talking about here, before offering an opinion... I know the type of boat doesn't seem to make any difference to some folks around here, but it does to me... (grin)

With only a VHF for communication, however, I'd tend to favor the Big Bend approach, if for no other reason than to be able to keep tabs on the weather. We're getting into the time of the year that is perhaps the most difficult to forecast, lots of weird things can develop very quickly in March, and many of them tend to be spawned down around the Gulf...

If you are gonna do the rhumb line, I'd strongly suggest picking up a small world band receiver, at least...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Rock,

I didnt realize you were going the opposite way. Sorry, typed that in bed under a benadryl!! If you need any specifics, i can help. Watch out for crab traps. They are everywhere right now. Take a good cerated knife and mag lite (they work well under water).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-18-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Update:
On my way back to Baltimore now waiting for my flight. This trip did not work out. The boat is not in a sounded condition and is unsafe to sail from the keys to Galveston. This is my first time I have backed out for my crewing job.

The owner who I have not met was a nice guy to deal with but has very little experience in sailing, may be under the wrong advices. Problems I discovered after I arrived.
1. Engine problems, major.
2. Charging problem and very old batteries both the house and starting battery.
3. Charging and unload voltage are odd
4. Main sail can't reef.a
5. Genset burnt out
6. Radiator leaks
7. All belts were loose, but oveyrnite we fixed.
8. Gallery stove was not working.
9. Hot water was not available.

After a shower at the marina, and a serious consideration for an hour while laying on my berth , i decided to bail in the morning. Texted my wife to explore my flight option.

Early morning, engine finally broke and motor oil was everywhere. And the hired captain grounded the boat. It was my time to jump off the boat.

Just like every crewing I have done, I always learn something.
eherlihy likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-18-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

BTW, thanks everyone's help, greatly appreciated. You inputs guided me to think and rethink and finally let me come out with my decision that I am comfortable with.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
BTW, thanks everyone's help, greatly appreciated. You inputs guided me to think and rethink and finally let me come out with my decision that I am comfortable with.
Sounds like a good decision as described. Glad you are safe.
rockDAWG likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-18-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the update. It is good to know that reason prevailed over the excitement of adventure.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 02-18-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a wise move Dawg. Good call.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-18-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

An axiom to remember

There are old sailors, and there are bold sailors; there are no old bold sailors.

Discretion is the better part of valour.

Great call.
chef2sail likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-19-2013

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough

If you do see an unlite platform, get its block number off the side of it and report it to the USCG. All Platforms are required to have working flashing lights on them. The lights are usually on the corners of the platform. Some are dimmed by the bird sh*t covering the lights. Report those also if you can.
If the platform is unmanned those lights are required to be maintained in working order at all times...

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 02-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
If the platform is unmanned those lights are required to be maintained in working order at all times...
But this is the kicker...maintained by whom? The guys I race with all come from the oil industry. According to them, the reason there are so many unlit rigs so close in is that many companies (big and small) went out over the years and tried to strike it rich. Most of them went bust, pulled out, and the company dissolved...leaving behind a hulk of steel that "no one" owns. So who can you go after to enforce the ongoing maintenance of the rig? Do we push that onto the CG? Do they have the budget?

It's not an easily solvable, nor inexpensive, problem.
kellysails likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40