SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Rhumb line between Key West and Galveston, TX (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96707-rhumb-line-between-key-west-galveston-tx.html)

rockDAWG 02-16-2013 10:06 PM

Rhumb line between Key West and Galveston, TX

Would you take the rhumb line or hug the coast all the way to Galveston? No Radar or life raft on board.

TIA. :)

eherlihy 02-16-2013 10:21 PM

Re: Rhumb line between Key West and Galveston, TX

Whose boat? Yours, or a delivery boat??

I would take the rhumb line if I were confident in the vessel's condition, and in the spares and tools aboard. On a delivery boat, the coast would be the way to go.

smackdaddy 02-16-2013 10:34 PM

Take a look at the charts when you start nearing New Orleans. The oils rigs look to be insane just off the coast and southwest of NO - such as the Vermillion Bay approach.

I've sailed through the rigs going west from Galveston several times - but they are nowhere near as thick as what I see on the charts close in in that area. I'd defintely go out if I was confident in my boat.

rockDAWG 02-16-2013 10:54 PM

It is a delivery. Condition of the boat is unseen, but I will have a couple days to learn the boat. The weather looks good next week so far for the rhumb line approach.

I appreciate the input. Please let me know what other things I should keep a look out. :)

jackdale 02-16-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 991093)
It is a delivery. Condition of the boat is unseen, but I will have a couple days to learn the boat. The weather looks good next week so far for the rhumb line approach.

I appreciate the input. Please let me know what other things I should keep a look out. :)

About five years ago a delivery skipper sent me his checklist. His web site is Safety Check | Pacific Yacht Deliveries

As you know I like ISAF offshore racing requirements as a guideline.

Personally I would stay close to shore with no liferaft.

SSB?

SAT phone?

Cruisingdad 02-16-2013 11:58 PM

Hug the shore.

Many people will jump across from texas to mobile or pensacola. I have been and sailed pensacola. It is an easy in and out. From there, jump to panama city. It is also easy. From there, jump to tampa. Easy. Tampa to venice. Venice to charlotte harbor (do that one during the day). At charlotte harbor you can anchor off useppa and go to cabbage key. Good holding there and you can take the inside to fort myers beach. Fort myers beach to key west.

I have done all that and am in fact about to head back south to the keys in the next week or so. If you need anchorages or marinas, let me know.

I would not go across the middle without a life raft personally. The gulf gets very rough this time of year with the northerns creating a lot of fetch and tall, square seas with short periods. The best plan of action is to hug the shore in them and have options to jump at any of the places mentioned above. Your only overnighters on the trip above is panama city to tampa and fort myers beach to key west. If you follow the route i suggested, you can skip and destination to save time or at least have a point of refuge if the weather is bad. Mid december to about march is the worst time to cross the gulf, with march being tough too depending on weather gods.

Take care,

Brian

smackdaddy 02-17-2013 12:12 AM

CD - what was your route between Galveston and Pensacola? How far out did you guys go? Those rigs around LA look seriously scary.

chef2sail 02-17-2013 12:22 AM

I have only sailed once on someone elses boat in the Gulf from Pensecola area to Galveston Bay and it was 15 years ago. We chose to stay in close ( 10 miles) to shore as the wetaher in the Gulf was iffy. I rememeber the area off of Lousiniana peppered with oil rigs. We had radar too. The Captain mentioned that many of them were unlit at night while some looked like oil refineraires and that it was difficult to see the darkened ones. He chose for safetys sake to do that part of the trip in daylight. So we pulled in to anchorages. Not sure how far out they put the rigs.

Stay safe

Dave

Cruisingdad 02-17-2013 12:29 AM

I did not do that route. I dropped my boat in pensacola to avoid just that. Sorry if that was not clear. I did the route from pen south. But you can judge your weather window from texas to pensacola for a reasonably safe trip. From there, you can refit or provision. The route i have given above does not mean you have to stop at each of those places. You can pass them. It just gives you the option.

On another note, weather does look good next week. However, its blowing 26 here now in the slip and a few days back they were saying this was already going to pass us. Im just sayin.

Cruisingdad 02-17-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 991117)
I have only sailed once on someone elses boat in the Gulf from Pensecola area to Galveston Bay and it was 15 years ago. We chose to stay in close ( 10 miles) to shore as the wetaher in the Gulf was iffy. I rememeber the area off of Lousiniana peppered with oil rigs. We had radar too. The Captain mentioned that many of them were unlit at night while some looked like oil refineraires and that it was difficult to see the darkened ones. He chose for safetys sake to do that part of the trip in daylight. So we pulled in to anchorages. Not sure how far out they put the rigs.

Stay safe

Dave

Yes, i have also been told many are unlit. Hurricanes got some. Have also been told some have been cut below waterline, but who knows??? As far as some not being lit, i have heard that from multiple sources whom i trust.