Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Rhumb line between Key West and Galveston, TX

Would you take the rhumb line or hug the coast all the way to Galveston? No Radar or life raft on board.

TIA.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Rhumb line between Key West and Galveston, TX

Whose boat? Yours, or a delivery boat??

I would take the rhumb line if I were confident in the vessel's condition, and in the spares and tools aboard. On a delivery boat, the coast would be the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 02-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Take a look at the charts when you start nearing New Orleans. The oils rigs look to be insane just off the coast and southwest of NO - such as the Vermillion Bay approach.

I've sailed through the rigs going west from Galveston several times - but they are nowhere near as thick as what I see on the charts close in in that area. I'd defintely go out if I was confident in my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-16-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

It is a delivery. Condition of the boat is unseen, but I will have a couple days to learn the boat. The weather looks good next week so far for the rhumb line approach.

I appreciate the input. Please let me know what other things I should keep a look out.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-16-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
It is a delivery. Condition of the boat is unseen, but I will have a couple days to learn the boat. The weather looks good next week so far for the rhumb line approach.

I appreciate the input. Please let me know what other things I should keep a look out.
About five years ago a delivery skipper sent me his checklist. His web site is Safety Check | Pacific Yacht Deliveries

As you know I like ISAF offshore racing requirements as a guideline.

Personally I would stay close to shore with no liferaft.

SSB?

SAT phone?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Hug the shore.

Many people will jump across from texas to mobile or pensacola. I have been and sailed pensacola. It is an easy in and out. From there, jump to panama city. It is also easy. From there, jump to tampa. Easy. Tampa to venice. Venice to charlotte harbor (do that one during the day). At charlotte harbor you can anchor off useppa and go to cabbage key. Good holding there and you can take the inside to fort myers beach. Fort myers beach to key west.

I have done all that and am in fact about to head back south to the keys in the next week or so. If you need anchorages or marinas, let me know.

I would not go across the middle without a life raft personally. The gulf gets very rough this time of year with the northerns creating a lot of fetch and tall, square seas with short periods. The best plan of action is to hug the shore in them and have options to jump at any of the places mentioned above. Your only overnighters on the trip above is panama city to tampa and fort myers beach to key west. If you follow the route i suggested, you can skip and destination to save time or at least have a point of refuge if the weather is bad. Mid december to about march is the worst time to cross the gulf, with march being tough too depending on weather gods.

Take care,

Brian
rockDAWG and Magnolia like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

CD - what was your route between Galveston and Pensacola? How far out did you guys go? Those rigs around LA look seriously scary.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I have only sailed once on someone elses boat in the Gulf from Pensecola area to Galveston Bay and it was 15 years ago. We chose to stay in close ( 10 miles) to shore as the wetaher in the Gulf was iffy. I rememeber the area off of Lousiniana peppered with oil rigs. We had radar too. The Captain mentioned that many of them were unlit at night while some looked like oil refineraires and that it was difficult to see the darkened ones. He chose for safetys sake to do that part of the trip in daylight. So we pulled in to anchorages. Not sure how far out they put the rigs.

Stay safe

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-17-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I did not do that route. I dropped my boat in pensacola to avoid just that. Sorry if that was not clear. I did the route from pen south. But you can judge your weather window from texas to pensacola for a reasonably safe trip. From there, you can refit or provision. The route i have given above does not mean you have to stop at each of those places. You can pass them. It just gives you the option.

On another note, weather does look good next week. However, its blowing 26 here now in the slip and a few days back they were saying this was already going to pass us. Im just sayin.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-17-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have only sailed once on someone elses boat in the Gulf from Pensecola area to Galveston Bay and it was 15 years ago. We chose to stay in close ( 10 miles) to shore as the wetaher in the Gulf was iffy. I rememeber the area off of Lousiniana peppered with oil rigs. We had radar too. The Captain mentioned that many of them were unlit at night while some looked like oil refineraires and that it was difficult to see the darkened ones. He chose for safetys sake to do that part of the trip in daylight. So we pulled in to anchorages. Not sure how far out they put the rigs.

Stay safe

Dave
Yes, i have also been told many are unlit. Hurricanes got some. Have also been told some have been cut below waterline, but who knows??? As far as some not being lit, i have heard that from multiple sources whom i trust.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.