Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising? or just sailing with pit stops?

Not sure what it should be called but the trip you describe is exactly like the trips I take. Long trips are 3 to 5 months, basic no frills boat, anchor out 99% of the time, coastal cruising Ft Myers to Key West to Chesapeake Bay. I single-hand most of the time but it has worked out well for friends and family to jump on-board for a few days or weeks. They, crew, need to be self-sufficient and flexible. It is easy to get held up, weather/repairs/etc so a set schedule is a PITA. Skipper Bob and Active Captain are great but also use your charts. Lots of places to anchor that are not listed on either. I do pay a lot of attention to tide/current as it can make a big difference in my days progress. It really helps/is necessary in some areas if you have a under powered boat. Some days on the east coast,SC GA, the plan is just get up and go as you are going upstream then down then across so planing is futile. I like your camping comment. A friend who joins me for a few days each trip says "its like car camping but you just can not leave the car". Enjoy and be safe out there. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a great trip. Be safe. If you can afford it some type of self steering can make a huge difference in the quality of your life. Even a small tillerpilot if you can't get a windvane The PSC are all great boats and balance well -easy to single, strong and safe- but if you don't want to get passage pimples , and aren't an Ironman self steering is a joy Never did something as ambitious as you but cruised singled handed a fair bunch .Having that second "crew" was huge.
smackdaddy and CatMan22 like this.
Old 02-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Sounds like a great trip. Be safe. If you can afford it some type of self steering can make a huge difference in the quality of your life. Even a small tillerpilot if you can't get a windvane The PSC are all great boats and balance well -easy to single, strong and safe- but if you don't want to get passage pimples , and aren't an Ironman self steering is a joy Never did something as ambitious as you but cruised singled handed a fair bunch .Having that second "crew" was huge.
+1. Huge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-17-2013

algee is on a distinguished road

Cruising long term with a big dog on a small boat could be a real PITA---but maybe if you could teach "Duke" to steer the boat, it would work out!
Old 02-17-2013

ellenwhite2 is on a distinguished road
Cruising? or just sailing with pit stops?

Agree with benefits of self steering, especially if you will be mostly single handing. We added a tiller pilot to our older Crealock 37 after suffering thru a tedious, no wind Gulf crossing. The love of sailing doesn't transfer to motoring, believe me! And, sadly, there does seem to be a lot more motoring and motor/sailing than we expected. Coming east from Galveston, we relied on Active Captain and Skipper Bob's guide. If instead, you decide to hook a right out of Galveston, an additional resource is the guide by Buffy and Jay Corzine, which covers the lower Texas coast. With your shallow draft you will be able to get into some great spots! (Jealous!) If you want any specifics on where we anchored along the way, send me a PM. We will be in FL with reliable Internet connections for a little bit longer.
Ellen
ridesapaint likes this.
Old 02-17-2013
Sealocker Watchman

ridesapaint is on a distinguished road

Great to be welcomed so openly, and I appreciate the very good suggestions.

I have some more homework to do.

Jerry
Old 02-17-2013
Sealocker Watchman

ridesapaint is on a distinguished road

I believe there is an old tiller tender in the boat. She is needing repairs and Im working on getting her on a trailer, bring her home for repairs and ready her for the journey. Im crossing my fingers on the auto pilot thing, but with a negative budget I have to make due with what's available.

Jerry
Old 02-17-2013

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

I will offer this on the auto pilot issue. I have only used a line from the tiller to a clam cleat. Less than 10$. Sailing in open water I balance the sails and she tracks well enough to allow me to take a break from the helm. Under power the MC turns to port and I adjust the tiller line to compensate. None of this is perfect but how long does it take to pee or fix a cup of coffee? I would not want to leave the helm for long when in the ICW or in rough conditions off-shore anyway. Is 26 hrs at the helm fun? No. But it is not like I am going to go below and take a nap. I have to keep watch. I am no Iron-man but after several trips like the one you plan, mostly single handed, I am happy with this simple system. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Last edited by marianclaire; 02-18-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2013

ellenwhite2 is on a distinguished road
Cruising? or just sailing with pit stops?

On our first boat we had a bungee cord arrangement we attached to the tiller. It would keep the boat somewhat on course while we were on the foredeck. You might play around with that....congrats again on the Pacific Seacraft! It's a great boat!
Old 02-17-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianclaire View Post
I will offer this on the auto pilot issue. I have only used a line from the tiller to a clam cleat. Less than 10$. Sailing in open water I balance the sails and she tracks well enough to allow me to take a break from the helm.
My experience with this process is that it works OK if the wind is on or forward of the beam. It rarely works off the wind which is where most of my cruising is done.

Our philosophy on cruising is simply liking it. If you like it, keep doing it. When you stop liking it, stop doing it. That is valid for every aspect, whether it is staying in a place, sailing long voyages or cruising at all.

Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and I'm another supporter of a working autopilot of some sort - we don't leave port if the AP is not fully functional.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke