Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
If you want to steer your boat with shock cord and line see if you can find a long out-of-print book by John Letcher called Self Steering for Sailing Yachts. He describes two methods, one for on the wind and one for off. These work, I experimented w iht them years ago. The book is available on Amazon.
ridesapaint likes this.
Old 02-18-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising? or just sailing with pit stops?

Welcome aboard Jerry. You have picked a good boat for such an adventure and with only 3.3 feet of draft, you'll be able to get into places that most are denied.

As for Duke, you might start teaching him to use a "Potty Carpet" for doing his business. Essentially a square of AstroTurf with grommets in the corners that you can spread out and tie down on the foredeck. Aboard ship, the (relatively) solid waste is collected and disposed of through the head as usual. As for the "wet stuff", you can just fold the carpet up and dunk it over the side a few times. Rainwater (and you will endure rain) will rinse the salt out of it out adequately as will wash downs with fresh water when you stop for fuel.

As for anchorages, in addition to Active Captain (registration required but free), there is also the Florida Sea Grant Anchorage Inventory as to the southwest coast of Florida and the on-line guides available through the Salty Southeast Cruisers Net which covers the entire Atlantic ICW up to Virginia and beyond.

As for your self steering, a self contained Tiller Pilot is an inexpensive and effective solution:

This and other similar units are available through the Sailnet store. (See Tiller Pilot). Based upon my own experience I happen to favor Simrad but others will certainly advocate for Raynav and other makers as well.

While you are preparing for your trip, a good read that you might enjoy is "Princess" by Joe Richards. It's an old book that chronicles a trip just such as yours by a guy about your age but during the late 1930's to 60's. You'll have to find it used I'm afraid, but it's a great read and Joe was a wonderful painter.

N'any case, good luck with your voyage and please stay in touch, eh?

FWIW...
ridesapaint likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

sounds like you have the idea of cruising down well..is fixing boat in exotic places.
welcome to sailnet.
definitely obtain a self steering mechanism of some sort so you can have funner times than just holding tiller all day/night....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

There are various ways to tie the tiller into the main or jib sheet tension that will steer the boat. The CD 25 will probably track well enough you could make reasonable progress in settled water just by balancing the sails and letting her steer herself. This brings me to another point: seeing that your boat is now sailing herself, you need to be teathered to the boat at all times. I doubt you could teach your dog to do a MOB rescue.
Old 02-18-2013

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesapaint View Post
I have some studying to do. Thanks Brian.
Welcome to Sailnet, Jerry!

I want to elaborate or RockDAWG's suggestion, which which I agree wholeheartedly -- Active Captain. I recommend you study it while planning each leg of your journey and deciding where to anchor -- it is the Active Captain web site.

You'll need to join to see the data, but membership is free. Just sign up. Active Captain is the repository for all the knowledge of its members. You'll find information on anchorages and conditions you will encounter there while anchored. You will find information on marinas, services they offer, costs, and ratings by active captain members (rather like the number of stars for a restaurant, but we decide for ourselves what they should be). You'll find local knowledge of hazards, how to spot them, and where to go to avoid all of them. It is well worth your trouble to join! The couple that runs it is remarkably responsive to its members, and are excellent communicators. You'll get a sporadic newsletter full of all kinds of useful stuff, and on top of all that you get discounts at Defender for the item of the week (assuming you are OK with getting your marine gear by mail order).

You might make good use of one of its newer features -- route sharing. Since only successful routes are shared, each route shared is one someone thought worked well for him. It does not excuse you from examining the waters ahead of you carefully (drafts differ and you may not be able to go there for instance), but it can give you a leg up in your planning.

And as you go, do update the database with your own ratings. We all appreciate knowing what you found out.

Regards,

Tom
ridesapaint likes this.
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 02-18-2013 at 11:48 AM.