SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Exploring Titusville Municipal Marina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96709-exploring-titusville-municipal-marina.html)

TheWollard 02-16-2013 11:10 PM

Exploring Titusville Municipal Marina

Today I drove to Titusville Municipal Marina (in Florida) to investigate keeping a boat there. I'm working towards buying a boat by next summer and need more info to make an informed decision. There are so many options and I've never actually been to any of the marinas in this area. I will tour more options next weekend.

It seemed clean and well kept. While walking the docks my wife and daughter spotted several manatee and dolphins. Beautiful view of the Kennedy Space Center. Lots of sailboats at the dock and out at the mooring field.

The docks aren't locked. What is your opinion on this? I was able to stroll along and even look over a few boats listed for sale. Nobody questioned me. I am not especially concerned with this. Should I be? Have you ever had an item stolen while in port at a marina?

The attendant in the ship store wasn't especially helpful. Not a salesman for sure. I told him I was interested in learning more about the marina and policy. He handed me a simple pamphlet then basically ignored me.

Have you stayed over in Titusville? What did you think?

Should I call ahead to marina's when I want to inspect/inquire or is dropping in acceptable?

mellowseas 02-16-2013 11:24 PM

Re: Exploring Titusville Municipal Marina

I spent two months there last winter. I found the staff friendly and helpful. The bathrooms were well kept. As is the whole marina. Town is a short walk with a few nice places to eat. I never felt concerned about the open docks. You could ask the staff if there have been any thefts. The staff only runs the marina and wouldn't know much about boats for sale. I think it's fine to just drop in and ask to check out the facilities.

rockDAWG 02-17-2013 05:05 AM

Haha ..... In fact it is a bad sign when everything is locked up. :)

bigdogandy 02-17-2013 05:58 AM

I looked at Titusville when I was looking for a place for my boat. It is a good marina with friendy people, and they have the best rates on the space coast. The unlocked access to the docks is not a problem, in my opinion - I agree with RD that locked access is a lot like seeing burglar bars on the windows of house - a sure sign there is a lot of crime around.

The drawback for me was the limited sailing water in that area. There isn't much room outside the channel where the water is more than 2-3 feet deep, and it is a long way to get to an area to sail.

I would recommend checking out Harbortown Marina very nice facilities, great staff, convenient access to good sailing water on the Indian River and the Banana River and the Atlantic via the lock), Harbor Square (lots of character, no facilities), Cocoa Village Marina (5-star type facilities, downtown Cocoa so lots of good restaurants, etc.) or Cape Marina (in Port Canaveral, best access to the open Atlantic, very good facilities).

Good luck in your search.

travlineasy 02-17-2013 09:25 AM

I spent one night during my trip down the ICW at Titusville City Marina, very helpful staff, especially guiding me into the marina in pitch black darkness. I agree, though, that there's very few sailing opportunities outside the ICW channel.

Gary :cool:

The Garbone 02-18-2013 09:30 AM

Exploring Titusville Municipal Marina

We have kept our boat on A dock at Titusville since The first of the year. It's a pretty nice place and the only "security" issue we have notice is a few kids on skateboards. Not a rough neighborhood.

It is nice in that Westland is in the same basin. The ships store has is open late and is well stocked.

The down side is it is a few hours down to Port Canaveral to get outside. Also if you spend the night tied up the freight train runs through about every 3 or 4 hours.

For the price we like it a bunch.

LauderBoy 02-19-2013 12:37 PM

I used to live in Orlando and have since moved aboard my own sailboat. Before doing that I used to sea kayak and would hop all over the place from Orlando. Titusville was my go to place mostly because it was such a sort drive. The only real problem with the area will be real limited sailing potential(depending on your draft).

Since you're on the north end of Orlando Daytona isn't a bad option either. I'm not sure if the sailing from there would be any better though. I never kayaked in that area.

The best kayaking I had was on the other end of the coast. Tarpon springs Florida gave me a straight shot out to Anclote Key which is terrific kayaking(and sailing) territory. There's also a lot of really nice little keys and places to head out to all over the Tampa area. It was a longer drive from Orlando but well worth it. I used to overnight it on Anclote key quite a few times and it's just beautiful for camping.

In the Tampa area you have Anclote, Honeymoon island, Ft Desoto, Shell key... basically more really nice places to head out to than you can shake a stick at. It's something to consider.