Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI recap

I would have liked hull speed, but there was no way. I'm sure I could have played with the outhaul or adjustable backstay to tweak it a bit, but nothing was going to increase our speed 50%.

There isn't a huge amount of current down there, but SOG is not the same as speed through the water.

Hull bottom was definitely dirty. It was a complete carpet on the keel and rudder, the rest was just dirty. That was sort of odd that they were so inconsistent.

Actually, the boat did not have a anemometer. I was estimating based on experience and forecast.

Zanshin, do you recall wind that day we met at Thatch? My estimate that day would have been 10 sustained, peak of 15. We were getting 4.5 - 5.0 or so, which was the max we saw when motoring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There isn't a huge amount of current down there, but SOG is not the same as speed through the water...
The run from Peter Is. to Road Harbour went so fast that we did a 180 and crossed two more times. Speed was the same both directions, so current was not a factor. But we were on a beam reach, so it was the fastest point of sail. Breeze that day was "only" 15 kt (based on forecast - no anemometer aside form my little handheld), and only 1-2 ft chop, so absolutely optimum conditions. We would have shook the reef out, but with the speeds we were getting, why bother?

All the other days were 20-30 kt with 4-6' seas, so the pounding did slow us down a lot. As you recall from my other writeup, we had to motor into the teeth of the wind rather than try to beat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
I'll be on a Bene 403 out of Conch (10 nights) and including a passage to Anagada. I'm wondering, do you think it possible to lift the dingy on deck, removing the outboard, or too much trouble and no room for the jump to Anagada?
Way too much trouble for vacation and no outboard bracket on the pushpit.

Quote:
North Sound, same as Gorda Sound, did you enter & leave via the buoyed channel along Colquhoun Reef?
North Sound and Gorda are the same thing. Not sure I know the reef by name, but if you're referring to the one just East of Mosquito Island, that's it. It's easy, just say between the markers, maybe favor the green. Do not try to enter between Mosquito and Virgin Gorda.

Quote:
What about Eustatia Sound, a buoyed channel near Saba Rock? Anyone in there, worth taking a dingy in there to snorkel leaving the boat at Saba?
I've never taken the boat out there, although, I've seen people sneak between Saba and the Bitter End Yacht club. I would leave the boat inside North Sound and take the dinghy out, if you would like to snorkle.

Quote:
What's that area (and Trellis Bay) like for airport noise? I have it in my head to stay away because of the airport, worth seeing despite?
You'll definitely hear them, but its not too bad. Keep in mind that I like airplane noise.

More noticeable at Trellis than Marina Cay. I wouldn't consider it a factor at either. I've anchored overnight off the south side of Beef Island as well.

Quote:
From JVD I'm thinking of looping Great Tobago(between Great & Little) and heading back toward the Narrows, comment?
You can if you want, but I'm not sure of the purpose. If there is any ocean swell, you'll be more exposed out there. Although, you can't fully avoid that anyway.

Quote:
Zanshin?
Zanshin is a poster on this board that I saw when there.

Quote:
Stinkpotter? You mean someone pumping the holding tank for the head?
Stinkpotter = big gas guzzling power boat. They take a loooooong time to refuel and you will wait, if they get there first.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 02-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The run from Peter Is. to Road Harbour went so fast that we did a 180 and crossed two more times. Speed was the same both directions, so current was not a factor. But we were on a beam reach, so it was the fastest point of sail. Breeze that day was "only" 15 kt (based on forecast - no anemometer aside form my little handheld), and only 1-2 ft chop, so absolutely optimum conditions. We would have shook the reef out, but with the speeds we were getting, why bother?

All the other days were 20-30 kt with 4-6' seas, so the pounding did slow us down a lot. As you recall from my other writeup, we had to motor into the teeth of the wind rather than try to beat.
I would like to go back and have another crack at it. Wouldn't you?

You're right, current in SFDC would have been on your beam, if there was any at the time anyway. I think it maxes around 1 kt anyway.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-20-2013

Robes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From JVD I'm thinking of looping Great Tobago(between Great & Little) and heading back toward the Narrows, comment?

Quote:
You can if you want, but I'm not sure of the purpose. If there is any ocean swell, you'll be more exposed out there. Although, you can't fully avoid that anyway.
I guess I'm thinking of dropping a line for a little fishing off reef, as when we go to Anagada. I've read about the Ciguatera, fish poisoning, they say stay away from any shallow water "reef" fish and try for offshore fish as tuna, wahoo, swordfish, marlin, dolphin, sailfish, Spanish mackerel, small king mackerel, and yellowtail snapper. Not sure if catching a fish is worth the potential of getting poisoned . Did you see many cruisers fishing? Hear anything about fishing in those waters?

Thanks for all your answers Minnewaska-
Old 02-20-2013

I've never fished in the BVI, but I do see poles on some of the boats. I've never witnessed them fishing either, but I know some do.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
How was the swell in Cooper? We skipped Cooper because we had been to the (very nice!) restaurant on day charters 2 out of the past 3 years, and we heard it could be pretty exposed.....
I was flipping some photos of the trip and remembered your question when I came upon this one. It is from our bar stool at the Cooper Island Beach club. As you can see, no swell whatsoever, and it was blowing this day.

BVI recap-427.jpg

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was flipping some photos of the trip and remembered your question when I came upon this one. It is from our bar stool at the Cooper Island Beach club. As you can see, no swell whatsoever, and it was blowing this day.

Attachment 13458
Wow, looks beautiful! I don't remember seeing the mooring balls so close to the restaurant when we were there before. We'll definitely make an overnight stop there next time we go.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-21-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Actually, the boat did not have a anemometer. I was estimating based on experience and forecast.

Zanshin, do you recall wind that day we met at Thatch? My estimate that day would have been 10 sustained, peak of 15. We were getting 4.5 - 5.0 or so, which was the max we saw when motoring.
The wind was 10-15 that day. I have to figure out how to get my GPS track and other information from my chartplotter and can give you the exact numbers (but I'll do that... manana... sometime).

I believe that the dirty boat or worn-out sails were your problem, you really should have gotten more speed. On the other hand, tacking up the Sir Francis Drake that day might have slowed you down, as there was a decided chop.

Old 02-22-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
Quote:

I guess I'm thinking of dropping a line for a little fishing off reef, as when we go to Anagada. I've read about the Ciguatera, fish poisoning, they say stay away from any shallow water "reef" fish and try for offshore fish as tuna, wahoo, swordfish, marlin, dolphin, sailfish, Spanish mackerel, small king mackerel, and yellowtail snapper. Not sure if catching a fish is worth the potential of getting poisoned . Did you see many cruisers fishing? Hear anything about fishing in those waters?

Thanks for all your answers Minnewaska-
I do not know of anyone who has gotten sick from eating tuna, wahoo, mahi etc. in the Virgins. Mahi and tuna have been caught very close to Sopers but typically your best bet for catching pelagic fish will be along the major drop-offs like just south of Norman. Don't forget to acquire a fishing license for each person on board that will touch a pole. A well rigged Cuban YoYo is very portable and capable of bringing in large hard fighting fish. Have fun.